Critique A Selection of Birds from Potteric Carr

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
As promised in a earlier thread, i am going to attempt to be more active in this Forum in my quest to improve my wildlife photography

Her is a selection from Potteric Carr yesterday

#1 I know the perch isn't the most attractive, but i quite liked the shot otherwise

Female Reed Bunting
by RichPICings, on Flickr

Pheasant

Mr Chaffinch

Mrs Chaffinch

Mr Reed Bunting

Mrs Reed Bunting

As before, and comments/critique welcomed............. and you might notice i've not used the vignette slider this time ;)

Glad there's no vignette :)
Last one for me, nice composition ... not a fan of 'on feeder' shots but understand why you took it.

A nice set there. Will be interesting to follow your improvement.

Cheers everyone, thanks for the encouragement, and i look forward to posting some more up in the near future

OK, you asked for C&C so here goes.
#1 the focus is on the body of the bird and not the eye. Try using spot focus and move the focus around to hit the eye. Great background
#2 Very nice but maybe a bit more head room
#3 Background too busy. Focus again on the body and not the eye. Try cloning out the bright spot above the bird
#4 Very nice. I'd probably have cropped a bit tighter so the rubbish in the top right was excluded.
#5 Nice but maybe some shadows/highlights adjustment to bring up the face and reduce the hot part of the perch
#6 Again, nice but clone out the spot in front of the bird.
Obviously these are my opinions and not everyone will agree with me but I think they will point you in the right direction.
Speaking of right direction, I find Potteric Carr one of the worst places to get decent shots as the sun is directly facing you. Have you tried other places like Old Moor, Fairburn etc?

OK, you asked for C&C so here goes.
#1 the focus is on the body of the bird and not the eye. Try using spot focus and move the focus around to hit the eye. Great background
#2 Very nice but maybe a bit more head room
#3 Background too busy. Focus again on the body and not the eye. Try cloning out the bright spot above the bird
#4 Very nice. I'd probably have cropped a bit tighter so the rubbish in the top right was excluded.
#5 Nice but maybe some shadows/highlights adjustment to bring up the face and reduce the hot part of the perch
#6 Again, nice but clone out the spot in front of the bird.
Obviously these are my opinions and not everyone will agree with me but I think they will point you in the right direction.
Speaking of right direction, I find Potteric Carr one of the worst places to get decent shots as the sun is directly facing you. Have you tried other places like Old Moor, Fairburn etc?

Nice one, very constructive critique, will take it on board for next time i'm out

This was my first time at Potteric, and i have only ever been to Old Moor once before but that was some time ago now

I've not heard of Fairburn will be sure to look it up, i'm actually from Chesterfield so really want to find somewhere local so that i can make more regular trips as Potteric and Old Moor are a good 3/4 to an hour away

Back