Name
Barney
Edit My Images
Yes
2672429962_22d6ccaff7_o.jpg

2672430072_67ee5bf346_o.jpg

2671609681_354ac30cee_o.jpg

2672430404_42c2326227_o.jpg

All shot on a D300 with Nikkor 200mm f/2 and Nikkor 1.4 telecon.

It's the third year I've been and probably my least successful, all due to poor shooting location. This year I thought I'd try up on the banking as I no longer have an 80-200mm 2.8 but because of the course lay out the majority of riders' faces were hidden from me while they were over the jumps.

As there are a fair few equine togs on here I'd be interested to hear their opinions on what the quintessential jump photo has. For mine it has to have the rider's face, the horse's front feet just over the top bar and the rear feet off the ground, but I'm not sure if this is just me or not.

What did you shoot these at? (ie f stop etc). These arn't what i'd expect from a 200 F2!! even with converter!, I expected a much better DOF etc :(. Looks like it's off my christmas list :). Kind regards Graham

From a rider point of view number 2 is best and its the one I would buy,
First one looks to be twisting slightly in front and the off fore has snapped up a faster than the near, plus the back end is hidden behind the wing.
Second the front end is tidy, back end opening out, horse giving it plenty of room and looks comfortable with the spread.
Third horse is tidy in front and looks a bit low, but he is jumping in to a double or combination which may explain that.
Fourth looks as if he has got in a bit deep and is coming up fairly steeply and front end twisting a bit again so not as loose a jump as the others.

Only problem for you as the photographer is there's nothing you can do about those bits!!!

I will let you lot sort out the technical things from a photographic point of view, I just thought I would put another side to things!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too bad, but they look a little soft to me. Your shots from last year (?) were much better!

The softness could be down to one of three things 1) Using the telecon 2) I was using the D300's 51 point dynamic AF for the first time. I've since read that limiting the number of active focal points can imporve the IQ or 3) My lazy-ass post processing, I merely used Lightroom's portrit preset when sharpening. I hate post processing. :bang:

From a rider point of view number 2 is best and its the one I would buy,
First one looks to be twisting slightly in front and the off fore has snapped up a faster than the near, plus the back end is hidden behind the wing.
Second the front end is tidy, back end opening out, horse giving it plenty of room and looks comfortable with the spread.
Third horse is tidy in front and looks a bit low, but he is jumping in to a double or combination which may explain that.
Fourth looks as if he has got in a bit deep and is coming up fairly steeply and front end twisting a bit again so not as loose a jump as the others.

Only problem for you as the photographer is there's nothing you can do about those bits!!!

I will let you lot sort out the technical things from a photographic point of view, I just thought I would put another side to things!!

very interesting to see Susie's input - thanks!
for me #2 and #3 are the best exposed, the riders look a little dark in some of the others

I try to go for (get me - done one whole event!!!):
- horse on the rise
- ears forward
- preferably taken at 45 degrees rather than head-on
- rider's eyes open (you'd be amazed how many aren't!)
- focus on the horse's eye(s)

most of this is completely outside your control, though

not a bad set imho, but #2 and #3 are the best!

Thats Scott Brash, Scottish Rider :D! very good rider, and i love the second picture

Barney, some good shots there but they could be improved. My take on them:

1. Good action shot but if you had moved to the right to get a better angle you would probably have got the rear of the horse in the shot. It's also a bit underexposed and could do with about another 1/3 - 2/3 stop.

2. A very strong shot but could do with a bit of a crop, the exposure is better on this one.

3. The best of the bunch but again underexposed. I find that head on showjumping shots benefit from portrait orientation as they fill the frame better.

4. As above but because the rider has not jumped the fence so well it isn't such a dynamic shot as #3 although there is nothing you can do about that. :)

As to what makes the best showjumping shot? A difficult question but most seem to agree that showing the horse at full stretch usually works (and sells) best. I wouldn't get too hung up on whether the rear hooves are of the ground or not, as long as the picture makes the potential client go 'Wow!' it doesn't matter, just make sure it's as sharp as possible which usually means a high shutter speed, I find 1/400th or above works best. You've just got be aware of your angles and position yourself accordingly - the following series shows the same horse at the same jump taken at three different angles and whilst they may not be the best examples they give you an idea of what I'm prattling on about :D:

1. Side on
SJ-example-1.jpg

2. 45 degrees
SJ-example-2.jpg

3. Head on in portrait orientation
SJ-example-3.jpg

Slightly OT,

from the riders point, what is the position regarding the pictures or a sequence of pictures of a fall at a jump? :eek:
Do riders like this type of picture and want to see/buy them from a website or would it be a total embarrasment to them?

Dod, I know your thoughts so you can't answer! :nono: :D

Last edited:
Riders wouldn't tend to buy them, but they usually see the funny side, as long as they, or even more importantly the horse, aren't injured.

Back