A short message about my closed Canon sale...

Edit My Images
Yes
Lets cut to the chase. The sabbatical with Canon is over. Today, I managed to sell to the 5D2 to an enthusiastic Canon user at the same price I paid for it. In the process I picked up a D700. To start with there are many reasons for this but my upmost reason and one that I have not talked about overly is that I simply came to love the Nikon workflow. Put your card in, use Nikon transfer (write data), use Nikon view and then for vanilla work use Capture NX2. I love NX2.

In the process, my entire filing system fell to pieces during my stint back with Canon and I find using the Nikon system to be ideal for what I want. I cant stand dumping everything in Lightroom as you seem to end up doubling and tripling images on the hard drive, of which a new 1 TB was bought just to allow the 5D2 files onto my system. I run a well specced over the counter mac with some ram added and it struggled with the power. It were as if bit by bit, my Joie De Vivre was creeping out of photography as I was worrying to much about things.

Overall, I have no doubt that the Canon 5D Mark II is a remarkable camera and takes stunning images but when I first ditched Canon to move to Nikon after the Mark III fiasco I found that my work went to another level (to my eyes anyhow) and as such, I wanted to retain that. I must thank other photographers who kept a rational view on the course of events - they know who they are as we all know there is nothing worse than being bombarded with information from a fan boy. For the record, I don't chase spec, I like to enjoy what I work for and thats fair enough but sometimes things don't work out. They say a bad workman blames his tools but I think I made the 5D2 sing, yet I just found myself wanting a Nikon back - for me, as a photographer, they simply just work in a way in keeping with what I shoot.

Finally, I realise I know need to work hard and rebuild what will be a smaller kit bag, but the images will still come. I have a few Canon odds and ends to move on now, but no drama's as they say down under and If I did not scratch it, it would still be itching.

For anyone else considering either brand, both are superb cameras and there are plenty of others out there.

Regards,

Pete :)

Nice to see you're comfortable with the decision Pete; tbh your images using either brand have been excellent.

What lenses will you be opting for to start off with on the D700?

Steve

You don't know till you try, sometimes stuff just doesn't work out.
I'm still gonna spend the rest of my life wondering about equipment unless I go out, buy the stuff and try it myself.
Which is unlikely because I don't have your bottle to drop big money in to the unknown.
In all respects, you win (y)

Nice to see you're comfortable with the decision Pete; tbh your images using either brand have been excellent.

What lenses will you be opting for to start off with on the D700?

Steve

I have to move kit to fund kit so today I traded the 17-40L for a 50mm 1.4 which is my lens of choice for how I wander with a camera.

I want a 24-70 Nano back - the best multi taking lens I have owned period and ideally something like an 85mm, but worrying less about kit, so suspect the 85mm 1.8 will do. I may pick up 2 x flash when I can afford it, but might think about a Bowens kit.

Thanks.

You don't know till you try, sometimes stuff just doesn't work out.
I'm still gonna spend the rest of my life wondering about equipment unless I go out, buy the stuff and try it myself.
Which is unlikely because I don't have your bottle to drop big money in to the unknown.
In all respects, you win (y)

Yeah, but the funny thing is that I lost on the Canon kit, but for the length of time I used it the deprecation is relative and I dont loose sleep on it.

It's always easier to work with kit you feel comfortable with Pete, so you have made a wise choice.
Personally I think you would produce stunning work with a box brownie (y)
I will, as ever, look forward to seeing your work.

All the best with the new kit, was great seeing you put the 5d2 through its paces. Also, the 50 1.2 you had for sale looked delicious.

Yeah, but the funny thing is that I lost on the Canon kit, but for the length of time I used it the deprecation is relative and I dont loose sleep on it.

Consider it rental, I bet it was cheaper than actual rental, if you don't factor in the Nikon equipment buy/sell element.

Pete, any chance you could say how you see differences between 5dm2 and d700 ?

Hi Pete

I didn't keep my 5D MKII either... although that was more down to lenses I didn't have!

But I preferred the D700. So the 5D MKII went, and I stopped looking for Canon lenses, and will just get a D700x when it comes out.

Its quite hard to swap when a camera becomes like an extension of your hand.

Hi Pete

I didn't keep my 5D MKII either... although that was more down to lenses I didn't have!

But I preferred the D700. So the 5D MKII went, and I stopped looking for Canon lenses, and will just get a D700x when it comes out.

Its quite hard to swap when a camera becomes like an extension of your hand.

Yes, very true.

Pete, any chance you could say how you see differences between 5dm2 and d700 ?

Simple.

The Canon took three attempts to focus and get a sharp photo where as the Nikon takes one. However, when you nail the Canon with 'any' lens it looks lovely. My style is quick and I cant afford to loose photos....or go back and ask people do things again as the moment is gone. Lots of variables here - the focusing points, the 2.8 sensitivity and the expeed processing locking on. BUT as I say, the Canon is top drawer and I will continue to state this.

You don't know until you try.

You're a very good photographer regardless. In the end you have to shoot what feels right for you.

And of course all the best shoot Nikon ;)

Simple.

The Canon took three attempts to focus and get a sharp photo where as the Nikon takes one. However, when you nail the Canon with 'any' lens it looks lovely. My style is quick and I cant afford to loose photos....or go back and ask people do things again as the moment is gone.

so it looks like I should go Nikon ;-)
why Im asking is : im thinking about going FF (when exactly hard to say) and as I dont have loads of gear even if I would sell it it would not hurt so much :)
at the moment mine choices aould be either 5dm2 or d700 ( unless i could reach out for d3 ;) ) Someone would say go for 5dm1 and buy better lens...but even doh its a great camera i would like body with better iso capabilities :)

Simple.

The Canon took three attempts to focus and get a sharp photo where as the Nikon takes one. However, when you nail the Canon with 'any' lens it looks lovely. My style is quick and I cant afford to loose photos....or go back and ask people do things again as the moment is gone.

Grrrr, don't say that !

I am about to go FF and that does put doubt in my mind which route i should go down with.

so it looks like I should go Nikon ;-)
why Im asking is : im thinking about going FF (when exactly hard to say) and as I dont have loads of gear even if I would sell it it would not hurt so much :)
at the moment mine choices aould be either 5dm2 or d700 ( unless i could reach out for d3 ;) ) Someone would say go for 5dm1 and buy better lens...but even doh its a great camera i would like body with better iso capabilities :)

Thats your call, I can only speak for myself.

Grrrr, don't say that !

I am about to go FF and that does put doubt in my mind which route i should go down with.

I think it is more to do with the lack of focus points on the FF. If you shot crop then they are much better spread. Ideally, just one more point above and below centre would help in portrait mode.

FWIW I had exactly the same issues with the 50L a couple of years back just after release. A gorgeous lens when it works, but I couldn't rely on it.

I think it is more to do with the lack of focus points on the FF. If you shot crop then they are much better spread. Ideally, just one more point above and below centre would help in portrait mode.

I find the same issue on the 30D, lack of cross focus points is getting me down a little.

Might save up a bunch and decide in 6 months.

Thats your call, I can only speak for myself.

yes it is, but im looking for opinions...specialy of someone that that used both of these cameras and not one and only read about the other one :)

Grrrr, don't say that !

Well don't let it. Look at Vincent Laforet's blog and it'll reassure you again, but as has been said already, it's up to you to find the camera that is right for you, not what camera is right for someone else.

Aye, but he posts new stuff with the 5D2 fairly regularly. Go to Jessops and play with both cameras. Also it would be awesome if Diego Garcia kept this thread up with the new D700.

I've seen that 5 months ago, guess i need to play with one for real.

Believe me, there are droves of photographers wondering why they are not getting Vincents visuals. Like Chas Jarvis, the man is surrounded by class assistance, serious kit and budget.....

He had about £20,000 worth of glass for that video. Not to mention loaned equipment from all over the place.

Pete

I think you made the right call in cashing in the MKII if it means that you are happier taking your photos again. You did the 5dMKII proud and the results you got were stunning. I think its testament to the fact that its not the camera, its the person taking the pictures. Its just a case of finding which tools work best FOR YOU!

I look forward to seeing more of your work Pete, even if it comes from "The Dark Side" ;) :LOL:

Simple.

The Canon took three attempts to focus and get a sharp photo where as the Nikon takes one. However, when you nail the Canon with 'any' lens it looks lovely. My style is quick and I cant afford to loose photos....or go back and ask people do things again as the moment is gone. Lots of variables here - the focusing points, the 2.8 sensitivity and the expeed processing locking on. BUT as I say, the Canon is top drawer and I will continue to state this.

Glad you changed your mind and reverted back to the dark side:)

Welcome back!

He had about £20,000 worth of glass for that video. Not to mention loaned equipment from all over the place.

That video is brilliant. That's actually the first ever HD video I've seen where I've thought that HD is significantly better, clearer and sharper than what we've been used to. My eyes were really puzzled by the whole thing.. it was looking at photographs but then it moved. That would sell me the 5D Mk 2, if I wasn't already set on getting a D700 :)

So many people changing over to Nikon......

Congrats on your purchase.

I'm not jealous.

Much.

:p

Back