A spot of Boxing...

Edit My Images
No
Been a while since I've posted... but pleased to see a dedicated Sports section in action! So here are a few from a show at York Hall last Saturday...

Slightly disappointed with this one as I just couldn't the shot I wanted in a very crowded ring... but suffice it to say that some boxers make an entrance in some bizarre head gear...

spoing009.jpg

Waiting for the intros before the main bout...

spoing003.jpg

Some thwack...

spoing007.jpg

Say "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"...

spoing004.jpg

Landing low and hard...

spoing005.jpg

Good old-fashioned splosh...

spoing006.jpg

A genuine case of trading punches...

spoing008.jpg

...and a quick pose to finish...

spoing002.jpg

Full gallery here:

http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/tgsphoto/gallery-show/G0000.7YRsKiso4o

Many thanks for looking. EXIF should be intact throughout. Comments, as always, welcomed.

Cheers!

---- Gavin

Some cracking shots there. Are you one of the guys jumping around on the ring apron?? Like all of them, the entrance shot is great. Noce pose in the last one too....

Top class sports photos all of them. Like you said shame about the last as he's not looking at the camera but most of these could be on the back pages in any national daily.

3,5,6 and 7 for me. Great action pictures. Caught really well. Nice set.

Great stuff!

I watched this on Setanta. Should have been watching the edge of the ring too.

New years resolution... must get to Bethnal Green and watch some live boxing this year!

Don't leave it so long until your next post ;)

Great stuff, o to be young and fit again

Great stuff, o to be young and fit again

haha.. i remember being that young.. but never that fit..

nice set as per gavin :) #2 is a poster if ever i saw one

:clap: Those are fantastic mate, you've portrayed the action and excitement brilliantly (y)

I particularly like the 2nd and 3rd (y)

i agree these are spot on. they really capture the atmosphere. and the pain.:)

i agree these are spot on. they really capture the atmosphere. and the pain.:)

His exif is in place... 1dMK III using iso 2000 for those :)

Thanks for the positive comments folks. Very much appreciated. I shoot a fair amount of sports... and boxing is rapidly becoming my favourite sport to photograph.

Great stuff!

I watched this on Setanta. Should have been watching the edge of the ring too.

New years resolution... must get to Bethnal Green and watch some live boxing this year!

Don't leave it so long until your next post ;)
Cheers Robert!

York Hall is a must-visit venue for anyone with an interest in boxing... full of character and characters ;)

While I'm passing, I'll add a few from a show at Newham at the end of November last year:

Something wide-ish...

bix001.jpg

Something tight-ish...

bix002.jpg

Thwunk...

bix003.jpg

Splat...

bix004.jpg

Splosh...

bix005.jpg

Splishage...

bix006.jpg

Ear thwunk...

bix007.jpg

Whoops... missed...

bix008.jpg

Full gallery here: http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/tgsphoto/gallery-show/G0000rkAcmcYQpLE

Cheers!

---- Gavin

These are really REALLY good - I would love to have a go at this, haven't had the opportunity to shoot at boxing but that may be because I haven't been looking hard enough. Seeing these have definately given me the motivation. Thank you.

What lens were you using please?

Gary

That second lot are simply amazing. Loads of atmosphere and action. Love the gum shield on the last one. Got a couple of teeth missing there. lol.

ISO 2000, noise nil. Quality shots (y)

Top draw shots here and the lack of noise at iso2000 is awesome. Really captured action and emotion in these shots.

Really appreciate the positive comments folks. Cheers!

What lens were you using please?

Gary
The action shots were taken with a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens... ideal for the the size of the boxing ring. The mask shot and the 'waiting' shot were with a 70-200mm f/2.8.

---- Gavin

Wow! Really welldone, the timing/focus is great on all of them.
I love the sweat splashing off them.

Although I'm still new here and learning the ropes, I have to say these are simply fantastic.
You can almost feel the impact from these pictures.

Form the first set, I particularly like 1,2,3,6 & 7.
And from the second lot, well they're all stunning but 4 & 5 really hit the mark.

I'm pretty sure I recognise a few of those faces from Peacocks in Canning Town.

What was the Newham venue if you don't mind my asking?

Back