A stroll around Ilkley Moor

Les McLean

In Memoriam
Name
Les
Edit My Images
Yes
With the dogs tramping over Ilkley Moor.

All with 1Ds MKII, 24mm F1.4 or 135mm F2 lens, ND grads on some.

First image I shot at f1.6 (on a 1.4 lens), I'd waited till the sun came across the derelict cottage, and shot at 1.6 because at this aperture you get a slight vignetting, making the cottage a lot more prominent than surrounds, cropped from the right to take the building from being too central.

Larger image link under each

1#
VK0I0268s.jpg

2#
VK0I0211s.jpg

3#
VK0I0220s.jpg

4#
VK0I0282s.jpg

5#
VK0I0344s.jpg

6#
MX0P0185s.jpg

Last edited:
nice shots. Really like number 2 and 3.

Great processing on these Les, dreamy kind of look!

Hard to pick a winner but #2, #3 and #5 stand out for me!

Very nice, I could jump in the car and be there in 15 mins, what am I playing at, I've never been with the camera!!

Excellent shots. They seem almost HDR the quality is that good! #'s 2,3,5 & 6 for me.

Like the first one a lot but I think there's a bit too much vignetting on it.

Like the first one a lot but I think there's a bit too much vignetting on it.

The vignetting was deliberate, and I wasn't sure if it was too much?

I have to say Les, the off centre vignetting on 1 doesn't work for me. I see what you mean about making the cottage shine but the left is too dark for my taste. Think the pooch is a belter and I like the simplicity of the gate.

If it helps, they look nothing like HDR to me - I like these!

I can't decide if I like the shallow DOF on the more open scene shots, however it works perfectly on the smaller shots like the gate and the flowers.

All in all, really nice stuff. I'm a fan :)

Les, any chance you can give focal length and aperture details for all of these?

As a landscape, #3 has to be my fave. Though I'm really loving the DoF in the last two too. Also wondering what the 'specks' are in the one with your dog? Dandruff on your sensor? ;)

Nice processing 2,4 and 5 tickle my fancy (y)

#2 has a tilt shift feel to it :)

AN excellent well composed series Les - they all work for me.

I like 1, 2 and 5. one I like the 'last of the summer wine feel'. The left is too dark, people above have described what its called me I havent got a clue lol.
Rob

Les, any chance you can give focal length and aperture details for all of these?

As a landscape, #3 has to be my fave. Though I'm really loving the DoF in the last two too. Also wondering what the 'specks' are in the one with your dog? Dandruff on your sensor? ;)

1# 24mm @f1.6
2# 135mm @f2.8
3# 135mm @f13
4# 135mm @f8
5# 135mm @f2
6# 135mm @f2.8

The 'specks' are snow, we had a bit of a mini-blizzard while out and about :)

Last edited:
Back