A suitable upgrade from a Sony a200

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I've had my sony a200 for almost a year now an I really quite like it. But it lacks the higher ISO handling and various other bits that I feel I could do with. I usually shot anything, but have a keenness for sports and wildlife.
I currently have the following bits of kit for it:
Kit lens
Sony 70-210 beercan
Minolta 50mm 1.7
Tamron 70-300 macro
and a flash unit.

My question is, do I stick with Sony, and get the quite well priced a450/a5xx (Don't really need live view) or swap to a different manufacturer (i.e. Canon 550D or Nikon D90)?

Though I know a lot rides on how the camera feels, but for now, for this thread I just want to know about opinions on the IQ, colour, noise handling, speed (fps and af) and people general good and bad points for any of the camera (regarding the Sony this includes the a450 or the a5xx series).

For me the good points of sticking with Sony are:
  • Built in body IS generally means cheaper in the long run when it comes to buying lenses and the like.
  • Already have a few of the lenses
  • Good ISO performance in later models
  • fast fps on the later models

and against:
  • less accessories except for Sony own (usually)
  • Lacks some of the professional stuff like MLU and DOF preview
  • Lack of HD video (though i wont use that much at all really, it would still be a nice edition).

My planned purchases once I had a new camera was to get a Sigma 150-500 and eventually a tamron 70-200 f2.8. With a sony these sound great, because they're cheap but pretty good telephoto lenses, and coupled with a Sony body they will be IS.
However the on the Nikons and Canon they won't be, will this be a big issue? And is it worth paying a hell of a lot more for lenses with stabilization in?

So to summarise, do I stick with Sony and keep its advantages and upgrade to a sony a450/a5xx, and is it much of an upgrade?
Or do I go with the popular brands and gain their benefits but loose out on Sony's? And again would the Canon 550D or Nikon D90 actually be much of an upgrade?

There quite a few questions in there, but I'm very mis guided, part of me says it's wise to stick to Sony, while the other part are worried that I might be missing out, or that further down the line I may be at a disadvantages if I don't go with the more established makes?

Anyway hope you can make sense of it all

Thanks

Alex

id stick to a sony, you already have all the lenses, you know how they feel and there menu set ups. so it will be easier as you will know how to get to all the different setting straight away.

cameras are cameras not matter what brand, stick with sony and upgrade to the a550 (the a500 isn't worth it) which has better IQ at high ISO on par with the 50D and D90. you could always look for a second hand a700 which even has the DOF preview that you want.

I went from the A200 to the A700, A big step up and well worth the investment. Still not brill with high iso but the more I use it the more I am able to control the noise issues. Your beercan will love it I was using mine on the 700 with some great results and when used with a 2x converter made a decent wildlife lens as long as light is fair too good.

at some point recently there were 3 a700 for sale. so just look up and ask them if they're still for sale.

I went from A200 to A450, and I'm pretty happy with the performance.

If I could have still picked up a new A700 I probably would have done, but the A450 appeared to offer everything that the A200 did, but with much improved high ISO, as well as faster and more accurate AF. The 5/7 FPS is handy, but not something I use much.

I went from A200 to A450, and I'm pretty happy with the performance.

If I could have still picked up a new A700 I probably would have done, but the A450 appeared to offer everything that the A200 did, but with much improved high ISO, as well as faster and more accurate AF. The 5/7 FPS is handy, but not something I use much.

what lens do you usually use ?

Mostly the Sony 16-105, but occasionally the Minolta 100-300 APO when extra reach is needed. I don't have any SAM lenses if that's what you were enquiring about.:)

Thanks for the help guys. I purchased a sony a700 from puddleduck. Hopefully arrive before the weekend! Really excited!.

Alex

thanks for the info. I still need to wait to raise enough money for it. by that time there might be a new one.

enjoy yours ! :p

I was intrigued reading this thread as I too have the Sony A200, my first DLSR... bought for me last August. I love it and have learnt so much. I'm will be made redundant from a well paid job in August and have been thinking about taking the opportunity to upgrade whilst I will have the money too...I wasn't sure what to do and probably would have gone for the 450 but I'm thinking sod it now and go for 700!!
I need to make a wishlist for my camera bag as this is going to be the only time I'll have any money.... I'm not getting a job just yet as I'm going to look after my girls and be a Mum.

I have both the A200 (my first DSLR) and A700 (now my main body).
Went to Legoland on Monday as my 5yr old had in inset day, and decided to take the A200 + 18-70 as a light weight option (that I would not be horribly upset if it got nicked!).

It was a bit of a shock how big a gap there was between that and my A700 + CZ16-80.

For single shots it just felt a bit small and light - but as soon as I tried to take shots of my girls on a ride the slower AF and FPS became very obvious.

If you can upgrade the A700 is a very nice step up. Thoroughly recommended.

I was going to go for the sony a450 (£400 from John Lewis), but I felt getting a 700 would be the wiser choice. Just need to get some nice glass.

Back