A sunny day out on bikes

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of pics I took at the weekend, any ideas for improving the composition are welcome:)

2706427153_9232f4d50f.jpg

2706423041_60dcd1fdd4.jpg

2706423007_82301a087b.jpg

2706423013_70733b74fc.jpg

2706415761_63a0dc3510.jpg

Ta

Last edited:
Just a view on each
#1 - the rider is too small and water generally does not lean to either side, so straighten the image and crop the shot to cover the right hand side only;
#2 - the rider and the footpath are too central and the water still has a slope, so straighten the image and crop off the left hand third and a little of the water at the bottom having the cyclist near the left hand edge;
#3 cyclist is too small again, you could crop off the left hand part as long as you left the cyclist and the canoe;
#4 is much better, lets hope this is a crop and you have all the bike then you just need to include all the bike; and
#5 best of the set, you could leave it as it is.

I hope that helps. Welcome and let's see more.

Last edited:
Just a view on each
#1 - the rider is too small and water generally does not lean to either side, so straighten the image and crop the shot to cover the right hand side only;
#2 - the rider and the footpath are too central and the water still has a slope, so straighten the image and crop off the left hand third and a little of the water at the bottom having the cyclist near the left hand edge;
#3 is much better, lets hope this is a crop and you have all the bike then you just need to include all the bike;
#4 best of the set, you could leave it as it is;
#5 cyclist is too small again, you could crop off the left hand part as long as you left the cyclist and the canoe.

I hope that helps. Welcome and let's see more.

have you got the order mixed up? :shrug:

have you got the order mixed up? :shrug:

Yes I did. I have corrected my original post, sorry about that. Dotage is inhibiting my faculties.

i re-ordered the photos to keep the two different scenes together, must have done it while rh1944 was typing his reply. Not trying to make you look silly honest!

now you mention it the water is a little off in those. I'll have a play with them.

The one where the rider who is partially out of shot is the full image. I have done a couple like this as it shows more of the trail behind the rider (I've got some of them with him in full shot). Not sure if it works or not, but with the vegetation it is quite hard to get any of the path in.

cheers for the comments

an example of all / partly in shot

deliberately out of shot to show more of the path
2685765921_63fc2514ac.jpg

all in shot but hiding most of the path
2685765929_09f68244d2.jpg

i quite like the partially out of shot version, is this a big 'crime' in terms of composition, or can I argue that i'm being arty ;)

an example of all / partly in shot

deliberately out of shot to show more of the path

all in shot but hiding most of the path

I quite like the partially out of shot version, is this a big 'crime' in terms of composition, or can I argue that i'm being arty ;)

With a wonderful path like that you can get away with the rider leaving the shot. I know the general rule is to leave space for the rider to move into, but there is a time to use your judgement while maintaining the image's intrinsic truth.

Back