a thought on compacts

Name
Ujjwal
Edit My Images
No
As I had said in another post before; I am looking to buy a high end AF compact - something that has top end lens and manual overrides.

The choice boiled down to

A: fixed lens - Contax T series, Leica Minilux/CM series, Ricoh G/GR and Fuji Klasse

B : Zoom lens - Contax TVS Series, Leica Minilux

The trouble is that the fixed lens are 38mm or wider, while the zoom lens are very slow at the longer length.

I am wondering why dont the fixed lens in these cameras come in 50mm variety, why are all of them wide lens? Especially since 50mm is the 'standard' lens for SLR cameras.

Presumably the high end compacts were targetted towards the the more competent/discerning photographers; who would use these in their travel for snapshot type photography; and a 35mm lens is really not the best to capture people/face shots.

Was there a technical limitation is making small 50mm and fast lens?

Last edited:
personally I think I'll sell all the compacts that have zoom in them except rollei. hate the bbzzzzzzz sound . prime is much cooler.
Klasse (was it S ? ) was 38mm ? you should've gone for that .

I wouldn't recommend a compact zoom, they are just too slow.
Better to get a fixed lens compact, something like a Contax T would be good.

Prices for 35mm compacts are quite reasonable these days as most people want digital and 35mm is almost forgotten.

unfortunately no . from my experience (this last week or so) - contax etc hi-end compacts go for ridiculous amounts of money.

even the cheap plasticy yashica t4 and olympus mju II go for lots of money.

Yup - sorted... working throught the mail after a tough day at work - finished now 'til Friday though (I love this job :D )

Whilst we're on the subject, can anyone recommend a cheap (<£30) 35mm compact? I've been looking for a pentax pino, but can only find one with a broken flash.

How compact? You want zoom? Street cred?

Whilst we're on the subject, can anyone recommend a cheap (<£30) 35mm compact? I've been looking for a pentax pino, but can only find one with a broken flash.

Loads of pentax in the charity shops. AF zoom, auto exposure etc, and less than a fiver most of the times.

Mju II or II fixed lens is supposed to be very good. Check out rockycameras, he has some for a tenner.

In fact here is the deal - broadly

Upto 40 quids : almost any pentax, olympus, minolta, yashica - fixed lens or zoom. I think they all do almost the same thing, and the lens quality is almost the same

60 -90 quids : Yashica with Zeiss lens ( T zomm, T4, etc); Leica C series. All auto, no manual override

150 - 250 quids : the high end compact all auto with manual over ride options

Contax : Fixed lens ( T series) or Zoom ( TVS series)
Leica : Fixed ( Minilux, CM) or Zoom ( Minilux zoom series)
Fuji : Klasse ( this camera appears under several diff brand names)

There are some others - Hexar, Bessa etc, but they are not really pocketable compacy

I think it's even better for the Vectis !
It's very cool ! :)
oh ! and that riva zoom 130 used to cost 200 euros back in 2002 I think :D I even have a check.

will add the pics in a moment .

Something small enough to fit in a pocket, no zoom needed, preferably all black.

Hmm. Look at the Ricoh's. If you can find one and afford it, an FF-1 would be ideal. Or an R1. Or even an R10 at a push.

Last edited:
Nikon 28ti. A cracking machine with a 28mm lens of outstanding quality. Quite hard to come by these days.

I've got one, all black titanium:D

Cheap? That's my territory......my favourite 50p or £1 compact is the Nikon L35ad.

Nikon L35AD
nikonL35800px2.jpg

Nikon L35AD
nikonL35800px.jpg

Agree on the fixed lens Mju II. Pin sharp, pocketable and cheap as chips.

all the ones I've bid on seems to go for ~30 pounds sometimes even more.
that's not cheap at all I think .
I've bid 15 on loads of them, which I think is the right price for a piece of plastic with f2.8 small lens.

the t4 is out of this planet. I only wish I had picked them up before this 90+ nonsense.

Have you looked at the Nikon L35 AF, nice camera and cheap, 35mm/f2.8.
I used one quite a bit for "street" photography before buying a Hexar AF.

Plenty of samples here.

Last edited:
Minox and Rollei are good alternatives to auto wind ons

images

rollei-xf35.jpg

Nikon 28ti. A cracking machine with a 28mm lens of outstanding quality. Quite hard to come by these days.

I've got one, all black titanium:D

Especially for under £30... wanna sell yours?

I still have an Olympus XA. a great pocket rangefinder Camera.

Back