A trip to Dartmoor Zoo

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
It's the wife's birthday tomorrow so we went for a day to the zoo on Sunday. It's not the closest zoo to us but we wanted to go somewhere different to Paignton. I't no where near as big as Paignton but the advantage of that is that you can keep going back to the same enclosures without miles to walk, which was good cos the tigers were asleep most of the day. I'd defiantly go back but it was a bit of a trek from us at around 70 miles.

Edit wise I've hardly touched them, most have just had a small amount of contrast (+10), crop and wb adjustments. Taken with my Canon 60D, Sigma 150-500 and a Manfrotto monopod (which was a definite arm saver).
C&C welcome as always.

1) Just woken up

DZP 02.15 _MG_6151
by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

2) Looking so grrreat is tiring stuff.

DZP 02.15 _MG_6250

3)

DZP _MG_6265

4) What you looking at? I'm semi hibernating.

DZP 02.15 _MG_6193

5)

DZP 02.15 _MG_6213

6)

DZP 02.15 _MG_6202

Very nice set Mike.
I luuurve the bear!

Nice set and #2 has nailed the gobshot (y)
Love the bears, but there looks to be some colour variation between them, #1 a bit green and #3 a little magenta?

Nice set and #2 has nailed the gobshot (y)
Love the bears, but there looks to be some colour variation between them, #1 a bit green and #3 a little magenta?
Thanks. Yes I think you're right. I moved from PSE9 to Adobe CC. In PSE9 you can pick a white spot with the WB tool, but in LR its a neutral colour. Basically Im trying to get to grips with it lol

Really like them mike especially the second one
its nice to go somewhere different too

Really like them mike especially the second one
its nice to go somewhere different too
Thanks Pete. Its a nice little zoo. You can see the tigers, bear and cheetah without wire in the way. The tigers have a pool to paddle in too. I got lots of others but with mesh in front of them. And the tigers stayed close to the back fence so couldn't avoid getting that in.

Sounds a bit like Newquay zoo Mike
went there last year, that was a small zoo but really good

Cracking set there Mike, and a tonsil shot too :D

I love the expression on the bear, that's the kind of look I get lol
and the sunbathing Cheetah too (y)

Loving number 2! And one of the bears was out for you - we have been there quite a few times and seen them once and even then they were just lying around and didn't look our way. Always a bit unnerving looking at the tigers with no wire or glass in the way but it does allow some great shots when they're down by the pool. Did the relatively new lion pose for you? Last time we went, he was very new (a couple of days there) and spent most of the time at the back of his enclosure. Magnificent beast though! Maybe the SW meet could be there? I know it's a bit of a trek but IMO the place deserves as much support as we can give it to keep it going.

Loving number 2! And one of the bears was out for you - we have been there quite a few times and seen them once and even then they were just lying around and didn't look our way. Always a bit unnerving looking at the tigers with no wire or glass in the way but it does allow some great shots when they're down by the pool. Did the relatively new lion pose for you? Last time we went, he was very new (a couple of days there) and spent most of the time at the back of his enclosure. Magnificent beast though! Maybe the SW meet could be there? I know it's a bit of a trek but IMO the place deserves as much support as we can give it to keep it going.
Thanks Nod.
The lion walked right along to front fence, I could've touched him if I was stupid enough to put my fingers through the mesh. I got a photo of him but he was too close to the fence. I love the tiger enclosure, would love to see them swimming.

Hell of a bulge in the wire fencing along the front of what was the lion's cage last time we were down there! Not sure if it was him or the previous tenant. Not seen the tigers actually swimming in the moat but my old avatar was of one of them drinking from it - at A3, I could stick it on the back of the bog door as a laxative!

Back