A trip up Pillar

Name
Stuart McGlennon
Edit My Images
No
Decided on a long walk up Pillar today with a view to getting a decent panoramic shot, sadly the weather above 2500ft was very foggy so this was the best I could get before I went any higher:

Pillar View by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Thought I'd post it big to do it justice, dull landscape on a dull or day or a decent shot?

Nice that.
Been up ther many times. Generally speaking you get better views from 3/4 of the way up. On top your view is restricted by the bulk of the hill you are standing on.
I'm a bit (OK a lot) jealous that my back & knees won't let me get up there any more.
The only slight reservation I have is on the cloud hanging on the flank of Scafell, but you can't do much about that.
I'd be pleased to have taken that shot.

Nice that.
Been up ther many times. Generally speaking you get better views from 3/4 of the way up. On top your view is restricted by the bulk of the hill you are standing on.
I'm a bit (OK a lot) jealous that my back & knees won't let me get up there any more.
The only slight reservation I have is on the cloud hanging on the flank of Scafell, but you can't do much about that.
I'd be pleased to have taken that shot.
Thanks - I found the shots I took from further down a bit lacking as I couldn't see over the shoulder of Kirk Fell on the left to Lingmell and Scafell behind, I was probably in the wrong spot mind! Yeah the cloud is a bit annoying but thought I'd leave it in to demonstrate the conditions.

That's a superb image Stuart. The quality of the detail is top notch.
Thanks I was a bit worried I'd come home with nothing for a 4 hour walk but this one seems to be up to par.

That's a very nice shot Stuart, great comp', fine detail, and some lovely colours.(y)

George.

Pretty good considering the weather, but, is it squint ?

Apologies, what do you mean 'squint'? :)

You don't know what squint means? You're from South of the border :)

adjective
Scottish
adjective: squint
  1. 1.
    not straight or level.
    "the squint bottom edge of the puzzle"
Think he's confusing the skyline and the horizon.

I'm not confusing anything.

The image does not look level.

Roll it up to the top of your browser window and you'll see what I mean.

You don't know what squint means? You're from South of the border :)

adjective
Scottish
adjective: squint
  1. 1.
    not straight or level.
    "the squint bottom edge of the puzzle"

I'm not confusing anything.

The image does not look level.

Roll it up to the top of your browser window and you'll see what I mean.
Ah sorry pardon my ignorance lol - I'd set it to auto correct straighten in camera raw although on reflection it might need rotating a hair to the right, I'm looking at Wastwater in the top right corner and it does like slightly out, I'll have a look at it when I'm home

A lovely shot, looks sharp from front to back to me. Could feel myself sitting there enjoying the peace

Somehow I think this shot should not work, but it does. The small area of lake in the valley and the larger area of it visible over the hills on the right should lead the eye out of the photo, but they don't. The leading line down the valley is good and the warm colours are great. The contrast with the green in the valley floor and the distant hills make the shot.

Dave

Love that cloud base! Cracking shot!

Somehow I think this shot should not work, but it does. The small area of lake in the valley and the larger area of it visible over the hills on the right should lead the eye out of the photo, but they don't. The leading line down the valley is good and the warm colours are great. The contrast with the green in the valley floor and the distant hills make the shot.

Dave
Thanks Dave my aim was trying to get across just how much of the land you can see from that height without losing too much composition. Just below the cloudline in the centre is the bay across to Barrow (I think) which is about 40 ish miles away.

Love that cloud base! Cracking shot!
I wasn't loving it 20 mins later when it ruined the summit photo's I'd planned! I swear that valley has a climate all of it's own.

Creates a strong feeling of the weather for me (in a good way) with the light yet plenty of detail in the foreground. i like it very much.

The first shot is a tricky one to balance the level, but Burnmoor Tarn looks bang on, and I've noticed that when shooting on the western flanks of the lakes, that the cloud base can be confusing. I guess as it is forced to rise as it meets the fells.
Its a relatively empty scene, but there is enough interest to keep me looking, the glimpse of Wast Water is a good addition too. It's a shame you didn't get any light to add a little depth to the scene, but that is all too often the case!
You've got a decent composition on the second shot, but the processing is too heavy for me.

The first shot is a tricky one to balance the level, but Burnmoor Tarn looks bang on, and I've noticed that when shooting on the western flanks of the lakes, that the cloud base can be confusing. I guess as it is forced to rise as it meets the fells.
Its a relatively empty scene, but there is enough interest to keep me looking, the glimpse of Wast Water is a good addition too. It's a shame you didn't get any light to add a little depth to the scene, but that is all too often the case!
You've got a decent composition on the second shot, but the processing is too heavy for me.
Thanks Matty yeah it was a tricky one to get as the conditions were really quite poor - it can be a great day where I live a few miles away and it's the total opposite after a 15min drive down here. I think it might make a good sunset photo on the right evening.

Any ideas with the mono one? I think the composition is good but I always find people want a bit of drama with B/W, too much contrast here? I like this in colour but the clouds seemed to suggest mono.

The first one is a cracking shot Stuart, love the colours on the fells and how the valley and stream lead the eye into the image.

I like that. Nothing dull about the Mosdale landscape, probably the best horseshoe in the Lakes.
Thanks Wayne - always strikes me every time I head this way just how many of the hordes want to do Scafell Pike and set off in the opposite direction and I'm often left plodding through Mosedale on my own. I've not long got into fell walking (same time I started photography in Jan) so I'll probably do the full horseshoe on my next decent day off.

Lots to like about that shot Stuart. We'll captured and good processing to bring out the best in it. The second is also good but I do feel a touch heavy on contrast.

Back