A very old fly

Edit My Images
Yes
This macro photography lark is none too easy to master is it. I've been chasing bugs around the garden, but they never seem to stay still for long enough. The only half decent picture of an insect I have managed to date is this mangy old fly. It was probably too knackered to fly away.

Fly-ftw.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Phil

That's good and sharp - well done. Flies are good to practise on as if you approach carefully they'll often sit still for ages basking in the sun.

It does get addictive though once you see a few good ones. And it does get easier... a bit.

Don't forget the composition just because it is a macro. You put him in the middle and as it is facing left a bit more space on the left would have been better. Nice detail level and you seem to have good sharp focus.

only other suggestion is to try and shoot from lower down as the above is our normal view and not as interesting as getting down to its level.

Flies are good to practise on as if you approach carefully they'll often sit still for ages basking in the sun.

That's what I thought, but there hasn't been a lot of sun lately.:(

Thats a nice sharp shot, insect macro is great fun, just be careful how you walk up to them it will help not to startle them, and try not to cast a shadow over them whilst getting near.

Thanks Robert. I'll keep trying and will take your advice on board.

I agree about the bumble bees being very active. There haven't even been many bees around lately though, possibly due to the weather. Still, I'm back at work this week after some time off, so no doubt the sun will be out again tomorrow.

That's what I thought, but there hasn't been a lot of sun lately.:(

The sun brings it's own problems though - usually with blown highlights on the wings and other shiny bits. Those wings are great - not a blown highlight anywhere.

This macro photography lark is none too easy to master is it. I've been chasing bugs around the garden, but they never seem to stay still for long enough.

Tell me about it! All the *Living Creatures* in my garden are quite small and I need a photo for the competition :bang:

Well done on a good, sharp shot Cedarapple.(y)

Back