A very puzzling challenge

magicaxeman

An Idiot
Edit My Images
No
I'm posting this in here as it is equipment related though it does touch on other issues but at present we don't have a disabled section that those like myself can post in to ask forum members for help in solving their problems.

I have a lovely, wild life filled garden and would love to shoot it but being as I am bed bound all the time I cannot get out there nor do I have access to a window that over looks it.
The garden is managed with the wildlife in mind, has a lovely mixed tree hedgerow screening a small stream with old rotting logs placed as feeding sites for the various birds and animals that live in it/visit.

My original idea was to put an XT-1 on a motorised tripod head at the bottom of the garden and control the camera wirelessly via an iPad mini but sadly that didn't pan out as the wireless wouldn't even reach as far as outside the bathroom window which is approx 15 ft from where I lay, odd in a way as it only has to travel through two thinnish walls whereas its perfectly happy to go through 2 thick walls to reach the camera when placed at the lounge window which is a good 30-40 ft away.

I have a 100 metre extension lead for the tripod head control so that side of things isn't an issue and I'm struggling to find a way around this problem as I'm fed up of having to shoot through double glazing to get anywhere and would need a very long lens to reach the bottom of the garden to shoot small birds/mammals without massively cropping images.

The only other ideas I had was to use USB but the long run would mean using powered repeater cables and theres no guarantee that would work, the final idea was to give up on taking the shot myself and get a trigger trap set up using the trigger smart PIR sensor/trigger.

I have an HD security cam on the rear garden so can direct my carer or family members to set things up as I want, then wait and see what I get at the end of the session, its not ideal by a long shot and I would prefer to be able to view via live view and control the camera/tripod from where I am but unless anyone can come up with a better idea it looks like its the only option to explore.

So I'm asking the collective membership for input and idea's on tackling this issue..

Current gear is:

Fuji X-Pro1 - no good for this at all..

Olympus Pen F & 40-150 Pro + 1.4 tc, - should work ok for this.

PS my main carer has already suggested binoculars that see round corners and through walls and dumping me in the garden to "commune with nature", lovely girl isn't she ;)

Finally mods... is there any chance of having a small disabled section where we can ask about problems we're having that are specifically related to disability and where maybe if we're lucky a pool of members will offer help to those needing it, be it physical help or just help with ideas and problem solving as well as allowing disabled members to advise each other on suitability of equipment, help sources etc?

Last edited:
Remote control shooting interests me too. So I've subscribed to your thread, hope you don't mind. Where are you based magicaxeman?

USB repeater cables work - how long a length do you need? I've managed 16+ metres very easily. I may have several spare repeater cables.

It would be good for all the best reasons of inclusion here at TP to perhaps have a sub fora related to the unique needs of those with disabilities but your question might be more comprehensively addressed by the Disabled Photographers Society

Link here. http://www.the-dps.co.uk

But as mentioned above remote usage of off the shelf cameras has wider potential :)

Best wishes in finding a setup that works for you.

What about another approach?
If you could connect a wireless HDMI transmitter to the camera in the garden, it could send a picture to your TV. Then you can monitor what your camera is seeing.
Next, either a long remote shutter cable or a wireless shutter remote to the camera so that you can a) do a half-press for focus and then a full press for the shutter when you want to take a picture.
This wouldn't give you the same control over the camera as using either wifi or USB tethered shooting, but you'd at least be able to see and shoot.
You'd probably have to set the camera to auto-exposure or at least shutter priority and auto-ISO.

Another option might be to see if you can get the camera to connect to a wifi booster outside your window and use that to give you enough wifi range so you can control the camera from indoors.

Or you could upgrade to a Fuji XT10, which would give you a Fuji with faster AF and wifi control ;)

The wifi in most cameras I've tried is pretty weak. Walls pose a definite issue as often just being in the same room seems to be too much for them!

I'd definitely look at tethering software instead, for example http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/hsv5/plugin_01/

For the cable run, a USB balun should hopefully be ok, you'd still need some kind of outdoor power solution though

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Extender-150mbps-Maximum-Transfer/dp/B008N4EIBM

Just my immediate thoughts.

I'm posting this in here as it is equipment related though it does touch on other issues but at present we don't have a disabled section that those like myself can post in to ask forum members for help in solving their problems.

Finally mods... is there any chance of having a small disabled section where we can ask about problems we're having that are specifically related to disability and where maybe if we're lucky a pool of members will offer help to those needing it, be it physical help or just help with ideas and problem solving as well as allowing disabled members to advise each other on suitability of equipment, help sources etc?

How about a "Disabled Photographers" thread stickied in here? And maybe in the Talk Photography section as well to separate techniques from equipment.

I don't have any answers for you, but being a wheelchair user I feel your frustration. Hope you find a solution soon.

I have used my old XT1 set up on a tripod in the garden and controlled with the Fuji App using my phone. I used it with the 18-55mm lens. The distance was approx 15 meters away and through one external brick wall, it worked well and IIRC @Nod mentioned the set-up when I was using Fuji. The only problems was the battery drainage when using for periods of time, it was okay with the phone as I had it plugged into mains for charging.

The cable runs mentioned above seem a good option without changing your current camera. Another possibility is the Bushnell type of cameras? Not sure if these would suit your needs as I'm not clued up on these type of things, just adding another suggestion.

All i could suggest is to tether your camera to a monitor in the house and use remote triggers to fire the camera (like pocket wizards) but you would have to "pre-focus" a certain branch or feeding station, so your shots would limited to "whatever lands on that branch" I wouldn't have a clue about the electronics side of remote tripod leads, but its an interesting topic as most of us photographers don't think of the disabled community or their situations. But it must be frustrating as a wildlife enthusiast, to limit your enjoyment.

How about using more HD webcams? A couple of external PTZ cameras fed and powered by ethernet cables might cover your garden and could be sited close to your feeders. You could have more fun with those but you wouldn't get the same quality though they would be good enough show on a monitor. They are waterproof and suitable to leave outdoors and have IR lighting for nocturnal critters.

Have a look for KAP websites for ideas (kite arial photography) some of those guys are viewing and shooting from the kite and the have gimbals to point the camera in the fight direction too. Hope it helps.

USB repeater cables work - how long a length do you need? I've managed 16+ metres very easily. I may have several spare repeater cables.

That would be handy Alastair thank you for your kind offer, I guess around 16-20 metres all told

What about another approach?
If you could connect a wireless HDMI transmitter to the camera in the garden, it could send a picture to your TV. Then you can monitor what your camera is seeing.
Next, either a long remote shutter cable or a wireless shutter remote to the camera so that you can a) do a half-press for focus and then a full press for the shutter when you want to take a picture.
This wouldn't give you the same control over the camera as using either wifi or USB tethered shooting, but you'd at least be able to see and shoot.
You'd probably have to set the camera to auto-exposure or at least shutter priority and auto-ISO.

Another option might be to see if you can get the camera to connect to a wifi booster outside your window and use that to give you enough wifi range so you can control the camera from indoors.

Or you could upgrade to a Fuji XT10, which would give you a Fuji with faster AF and wifi control ;)

The problem there is I don't own a TV, yes I'm one of those who refuses to watch them these days. The Fuji tethering solution was dire, especially so for mac users like myself, I gave up on it completely but its gone now, just the X-Pro1 left and that can't do tethering.
Wifi boosters are fine for your home network but won't connect to the wireless point created by the camera, so won't work, I tried that first of all ;)

How about a "Disabled Photographers" thread stickied in here? And maybe in the Talk Photography section as well to separate techniques from equipment.

That sounds like a Plan Nod, how are you these days mate, I hope things are a little better than last time I spoke to you.

This maybe of interest depending how well the wifi works http://www.wilkinson.co.uk/camranger-mp-360-motorised-tripod-head-pt-hub.html

Sure you will sort something out with the help of others facing simiar challenges albeit disabled or not

I actually have one of those heads but without the wireless dongle, but I do have the 100ft extension cable for the plug in remote it uses, part of my plan was to use that to control positioning.

So far its sounding like the USB tethering is the thing to try, sadly neither of my cameras allow tethering but I think my neighbour still has my old 500D I sold her so if I get some USB cables I can try that to see if the long run of USB cables will work, if it does then I'll have to look at getting a body that will tether.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far

Last edited:
That sounds like a Plan Nod, how are you these days mate, I hope things are a little better than last time I spoke to you.

Other than the crap memory (which means I can't remember what my problems were last time we "spoke"!), life's pretty damn good these days. Getting all the little jobs that fell by the wayside while I was ill done, just waiting for the frosts to finish before building a step from the conservatory.

Thinking on your current shooting problem, it's not going to be easy with the X-Pro1 without direct line of sight, unless you can rig up a wifi type security camera so you can see the birds when they're in the right area. If that problem can be overcome, a long bulb type release could be used on the X-Pro's shutter button thread - I have a 19' one but that might not be long enough. Pretty sure that something using an R/C servo and transmitter could be rigged up for longer reach.

That would be handy Alastair thank you for your kind offer, I guess around 16-20 metres all told
There *should* be at least 20m as that was the run I used with my 40D (if the -T1 doesn't work out and Fuji haven't really embraced the tethered option, I'd recommend a used 40D with EOS Utilities for tethered shooting on a budget - with a grip it would give you much better battery life than the Fuji anyway). I've found a couple of lengths, the others should turn up as my office spring clean progresses. If they're all there they can be yours for a donation to the RNLI.

Back