A view Nr Jeffrey Hill

raythefab

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
Even though i like this im afraid i may have overdone the processing a bit is it any good:thinking:
Jeffrey_Hill.jpg

looks lovely, what does the version down a bit from this look like, lots of vibrnt and contrasting colurs

Hey Ray,

My eyes immediately focused on a jagged white edge above the trees on the left. It gives the impression that the sky was pasted in.

Gary.

And is that bad or good , also how can i correct it:)

Absolutely bad! :D If it looks "stuck on" then it's bad.

Well, correcting it should be done in camera if possible. Use a suitable GRAD to hold the sky back, a soft one which allows the tops of the trees to be as correctly exposed as possible.

Gary.

Gary ive had 4 people in my house tonight to look at this pic and they all liked it, its only a hobby im enjoying myself and thats all that matters, surely we cant all be as good as you, id also like to say theres at least 3 photos in this section worse than mine but they all attracted a lot of comments from what i would say is the clique on here, there got that off my chest:)

I love the foliage colours in this picture..... but there is something odd about the composition that is sort of unsettling to my eye. It's like the sky belongs to a different picture. I think it's because of the shape the sky makes in the picture. It doesnt go all away across the width of the image, which I know it doesnt have to but it just looks a bit wrong here. It's sort of "hemmed in" in that part of the picture. I hope that makes sense :thinking:

Last edited:
Gary ive had 4 people in my house tonight to look at this pic and they all liked it, its only a hobby im enjoying myself and thats all that matters, surely we cant all be as good as you, id also like to say theres at least 3 photos in this section worse than mine but they all attracted a lot of comments from what i would say is the clique on here, there got that off my chest:)

I sincerely hope you are joking? yes? thats what the smiley was for, yes?

I'm going to assume yes and not start off on some tirade about it.

No. The sky looks like it was pasted on as there are big gaps on the tree tops where the mask hasnt been blended properly.

Other than that fine.

About the white edge ALL along the tree-line......Well Is it stuck in ?? can you please confirm.

About the comp.....tall trees on right sweeping you into the pic...and all the way out again...needs somthing to stop the eye...a focal point on the 1/3rd is usual.

keith

I must agree the pic was rubbish, ive deleted it from my gallery thats the reason its gone missing thank you for the comments i will have you brush up on my editing:)

Sorry mate, I absolutely in no way intended to offend you OR suggest I was better than you. Perhaps I should have worded my reply differently. All I was suggesting was you take a grad to the sky, as it would be better than "sticking a sky on". I have no idea if you did that or not, but the white jaggies are a major put off for me.

Please never think I am trying to be better than anyone else / or trying to belittle anyone. I am more than willing to hold my hand up and admit to being an amateur, like so many of us here! I think one of my major strengths though, is having the ability to listen to honest feedback, and learn from it. I just wish others took a similar approach at times, as recently, I am finding it difficult commenting without having that nagging worry in my head that someone will go in a huff.

Gary.

Ray,

Just to help illustrate my point.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=151743

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=151445

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=150722

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=151210

As you can see, I have been having particular difficulty lately, and you know what? It's the people that spend time and time again, looking and offering honest critique that will get me back on the right path. I take everything said on board, I say thanks, and I learn from it.

Gary.

Thank you Gary i understand what your saying and im glad you where honest with me, although it does get frustrating to here it i know what you said is true and i appreciate it thank you Gary:)(y)

No hard feelings mate, I get frustrated and annoyed too at times.

Anyway, do you have ND Grads?

Gary.

No i dont Gary:crying:

Well that would be high up on my list of purchases, and until then, you want to bracket. So next time you are presented with a scene which is very bright sky and quite contrasted foreground, simply take lots of exposures ranging from over exposed to under exposed. Then come back here, post them all up at 800 wide and then people can go over the various techniques on how best to get the final result.

Once you have some grads, it will be even easier.

Gary.

Well that would be high up on my list of purchases, and until then, you want to bracket. So next time you are presented with a scene which is very bright sky and quite contrasted foreground, simply take lots of exposures ranging from over exposed to under exposed. Then come back here, post them all up at 800 wide and then people can go over the various techniques on how best to get the final result.

Once you have some grads, it will be even easier.

Gary.
Cheers Gary(y)

Back