A visit to Skomer

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Had a great visit to Skomer last week, a really hot day which I confess sapped my energy but I enjoyed every minute of it - I didn't deal with the harsh light as well as I would have liked but here are a few from the day :)

The Clown of the Sea
by photogramps, on Flickr

A Substantial Catch

Waiting at Arrivals

Coming in to land

Look, no Sand-eels!

Touchdown

Cracking set! He looks quite disappointed with the littering humans in #5 (y)

Super set there Gramps! But you're clutching at straws with #5.

Lovely set Roger, I think the you dealt well with the harsh sunlight

Les ;)

Beautiful images. Puffins are on my bucket list. had a trip to Skomer last year but puffins had flown and we came across the trip by chance. Definitely going to return at some point for these beautiful birds.

Lovely set Roger, I think the you dealt well with the harsh sunlight

Les ;)

Thanks Les, black/white and harsh sun was a challenge and more often than not I failed :(

Beautiful images. Puffins are on my bucket list. had a trip to Skomer last year but puffins had flown and we came across the trip by chance. Definitely going to return at some point for these beautiful birds.

Well worth it Mandy, probably still good until the end of July this year ... breeding season seems to be end of May to end of July with late June being the most popular for shots with sand-eels :)

Thanks Chris, it's a great place to visit - back to the reality of being home now :D

I'd have been pleased to get any of these shots, but no. 6 is the standout for me due to timing and composition. All good!

Great set ... Better than my own efforts at the same location recently. Well done.

Sad to see one of the birds carrying a plastic drinking straw though ... Some thoughtless visitor must have left it.

Looks like tough light to work in, but some good results there Gramps. For me, I'd discard 3 and 6, due to the head angles not working.

That leaves 1 - very nicely detailed shot.
2. A nice behaviour shot. the light is a bit harsh but the shadow on the chest whites rescues the image for me.
4. Easily the best of the set. Great timing, and the wing covering the face and body has retained important details.
5. A good fun shot, the like of which I've not seen before

Great set ... Better than my own efforts at the same location recently. Well done.

Sad to see one of the birds carrying a plastic drinking straw though ... Some thoughtless visitor must have left it.

Thanks Sarah, yes bering in mind the frequent admonition to remove all rubbish from the island it's almost a candidate for a leaflet to visitors :)

Looks like tough light to work in, but some good results there Gramps. For me, I'd discard 3 and 6, due to the head angles not working.

That leaves 1 - very nicely detailed shot.
2. A nice behaviour shot. the light is a bit harsh but the shadow on the chest whites rescues the image for me.
4. Easily the best of the set. Great timing, and the wing covering the face and body has retained important details.
5. A good fun shot, the like of which I've not seen before

Thanks for the in-depth comments Mike :)

Well worth it Mandy, probably still good until the end of July this year ... breeding season seems to be end of May to end of July with late June being the most popular for shots with sand-eels :)[/quote]

Thanks for the good info of when to go. Unfortunately won't be this year due to work commitments. It's my turn to be on call for the next two weeks so no good venturing too far from home. Maybe next year but then a friend was telling me about a NT property up Northumberland that has now gone onto my bucket list so may could maybe make the trip to the Farne Islands and make a worthwhile trip in 2015. we'll see

Thanks Sarah, yes bering in mind the frequent admonition to remove all rubbish from the island it's almost a candidate for a leaflet to visitors :)

Why not email them and offer them the use of the photo for that purpose? It's the sort of thing they could put on their website straight away while the season is ongoing, and with a suitable credit given to you!

Why not email them and offer them the use of the photo for that purpose? It's the sort of thing they could put on their website straight away while the season is ongoing, and with a suitable credit given to you!

Good suggestion and I have followed through ... will see if it is of interest :)

Great set - normally we sees just another set of Puffin images, but these are higher quality. Any sign of the black backed gulls?

Cracking set, Planning to have a trip there next year :)

Well worth a visit Joe, a great day out :)

Great set - normally we sees just another set of Puffin images, but these are higher quality. Any sign of the black backed gulls?

Thank you for your comments - there were a few black backed around but mainly around the sea, plenty of razorbills sand guillemots on the edge of the island especially around the landing point :)

Great set of shots, Puffins are such a great bird full of character.:)

Thank you Trish, they are indeed such wonderful little characters :)

Wonderful images, very well captured, I had the pleasure of being anchored in South Haven two weeks ago, but didn't manage to capture any half as good as you have. :)

Beautiful shots! I wanted to put #2 as my ipad wallpaper but you've disabled downloading :( boo!

I wanted to put #2 as my ipad wallpaper but you've disabled downloading :( boo!

That's because it's my image and should not be used without my permission :)

Had a great visit to Skomer last week, a really hot day which I confess sapped my energy but I enjoyed every minute of it - I didn't deal with the harsh light as well as I would have liked but here are a few from the day :)

The Clown of the Sea

A Substantial Catch

Waiting at Arrivals

Coming in to land

Look, no Sand-eels!

Touchdown

WOWOWWO
have you been taking lessons old chap
cheers
geof

Great set of pictures. Not been to Skomer for about 8 years. These make me want to go back again.

Thanks both, a memorable day and I would recommend a visit to anyone :)

And now is the time to phone up and book an overnight stay on the island in 2015.

And now is the time to phone up and book an overnight stay on the island in 2015.

Indeed, and the opportunity to get some early morning/evening images :)

Great set and great timing on 4 & 6. My fave is 6 as it looks like he is jumping up wings raised akin to shouting woohoo :D

Thanks Chris, I like these too :)

Back