Critique A walk around Liverpool

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

As per the shots I posted in the "Show us your film shots" thread, I spent a couple of hours last week in Liverpool with my Mamiya M645J, 35mm 3.5 and a pocket full of Fuji Acros 100. For a rare change I also carried my tripod with me with the intention of getting back into shooting composed landscape (cityscape!) photographs as it's been several years since I went out just to shoot for myself.

I've got 1 roll of Ektar and a roll of Portra on its' way to Ag Photo but developed 3 rolls of Acros last night in R09 (1:50 @ 13.5 minutes) after my new bottle of Rapid Fixer finally arrived. Scanned today on the V500 and a few edits in Lightroom.

1) The Mexico has landed - Liverpool New World Museum

2) Liverpool Library viewing deck

3) New World Museum spiral staircase

4) Albert Dock mooring

5) The Three Graces - Liverpool Pier Head

6) Another view of the spiral staircase

7) Paddy's Wigwam - Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral

8) A space odyssey - Opposite view from the Library viewing platform

This is probably the most enjoyable set I've shot on film, both because of the fact I could take my time shooting them and also because I'm made up with the results from the new (to me) 35mm 3.5 lens. All of the external shots were all primarily shot at F16/F22 and the internal ones were at F3.5. All comments/feedback appreciated. There are a few more images in my Flickr set https://flic.kr/s/aHsjTYXbUz

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Steve, very nice indeed. You can certainly fit a lot in with that lens.
There's no question that taking time gives better results. Were you able to use the tripod for the indoor shots ? Or did elfin safety rear it's ugly head ?

Steve, very nice indeed. You can certainly fit a lot in with that lens.
There's no question that taking time gives better results. Were you able to use the tripod for the indoor shots ? Or did elfin safety rear it's ugly head ?

Thanks Trevor, it's certainly pretty wide ;0)

I took the tripod into the museum with me but ended up leaving it in a locker and just bracing myself and camera against walls. Nobody said anything to me as I walked in but they might have done if I'd used it. The again, the new museum is more open than most so I may have gotten away with it. I'll try it next time.

Cheers
Steve

Steve, Your set shows Liverpool at its best the whole spectrum of old and modern,it just shows how much opportunity there is in Liverpool to shoot.

For me a really love the Cathedral photograph, soft in contrast and sharp in technic and the cross is so stand out makes the shot.

Good work Steve.Wide is the way forward (y)

Good stuff Steve - familiar scenes and well captured!

Thanks Richard and Nick. I've shot the same cathedral picture on digital a few times. Although digital is a cleaner image, I think I prefer the film version for its 'authenticity'.

Fully agree with you Nick. I haven't shot ultra wide on digital for a few years so it's really good getting back in to it. You definitely need to get a 35mm for your 645 though, I think my 80mm is going to get lonely in the bag!

Excellent series of shots mate, lovely crisp images with lots of nice tones and very well composed. I totally agree about taking better images when you are alone and have time, my last set from the Lakes were exactly that and I got 22 keepers out of 24 shots, 2 or 3 of which I'm considering having printed.

Andy

Thanks, and me too. My dad was a policeman in Liverpool for 30 years and drove the Police Mexico's through the late 70's and still misses them!

Cheers
Steve

Ahh I remember the Police Mexico's racing around Liverpool in the 1970s, if I recall correctly the unmarked Mexico's were dark blue. I went to the Liverpool Central Library the other day, I did intend to go to the viewing gallery and get some photos. But I got so engrossed in a book search I ran out of time, as I went late in the evening. I will have to go again, but next time I will go earlier so I can get up to the viewing area.

Nice set of photos you have there.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy and Jon. I haven't taken the time to shoot for so long it was great to actually think about it. Out of the 3 rolls I lost three shots through under exposure in the museum (when I realised the mirror was staying up) and had to crop a few due to the filter holder showing up on 2 corners. I'll attack that with a Dremel before I go out again!

Steve, this is a really inspiring set of images. The WA Mamiya lens is clearly a performer in the right hands. I love the mix of old and new and the composition is very strong in these and the others on your Flickr page. You clearly have an eye for an engaging image and on what looks to have been a relatively dull weather day you have still created a winning set. I simply can't pick a favourite as all have my attention equally. As set there is genuine feel of Liverpool 'old and new'.

Thanks for taking the time for such good feedback Jao. I'm really glad you enjoyed the set, Liverpool's a great city for photographers so I was hoping to show that.

You're right about the day not being perfect. I had a 2 stope grad on for ever one of the outdoor shots to retain something from the sky but need to pick up a yellow/red filter for added contrast.

Cheers
Steve

Reactions: Jao
I've similar images from a weekend in Liverpool. Loved the museum, especially the top floor and the history of Liverpool exhibit. The staircase cries out to be photographed and I've a similar image of the cathedral as well. It's a good representation of my memories and makes me wish to return again. I'm sure hey didn't have that mexico last year?
To nitpick, #1, 2 & 7 are slightly off on the angles. It's difficult with the perspectives on such a wide lens and also with film.

It's interesting seeing film scanned and reproduced digitally. Do you think it loses some depth or clarity? I find myself producing images (from digital) for everything I submit these days. There's something tangible about the physical media.

Thanks Byker. I'm glad my shots remind you of Liverpool and yes, I think the Mexico has only been there a few months.

Valid point about the angles being off slightly. Having been looking at the images more I noticed the same ones along with a couple of others so have straightened them on my local copies but will update the Flickr images too when I get chance.

With regards to the negatives losing something when scanned, I don't have the space to print direct to paper so scanning is my next best option. Whilst they're no longer truly analogue, I find the actual shooting and developing of film the most enjoyable part so then working on the results digitally just gives the finishing touches.

None of these have had much work done to them so they're almost 'as shot' but at the end of the day, my intention was to deliver a diverse selection of images that represents my home city, however that was achieved.

Cheers
Steve

To add, I'm also working on a little side project at the moment with my paid portrait work. The intention is to shoot portraits on a mix of digital and colour slide film then present the scanned images as prints/canvas etc but add a tangible piece in the form of a personal lightbox for a single negative as a bedside type frame. I'll get some shots up of the first example.

Steve, do you develop yourself?

Angles - it's only because I'm so guilty of it myself. #2, dead easy to do as you look at the tower - yup that's upwards, click, then when you process - whoops.
I've looked at my Cathedral shot and it's worse than yours until I straightened in Lightroom :D

Thanks Oy. I'll be heading back over in the next couple of weeks so will shoot more of the backstreets of town I think.

Cheers
Steve

Liverpool has some nice back streets - but maybe shooting solo isn't that wise?

Liverpool has some nice back streets - but maybe shooting solo isn't that wise?

Nah Liverpool is fine, even in the evenings with all the drunken stag and hen parties. I didn't find an issue and I was walking around for a long time exploring when I was up there last year.

Like most cities, so long as you're sensible and keep an eye on your surroundings it's usually fine. I've been more concerned out on Llanddwyn Island by myself when the sun goes down!

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Nah Liverpool is fine, even in the evenings with all the drunken stag and hen parties. I didn't find an issue and I was walking around for a long time exploring when I was up there last year.

Good to hear. For some reason I always feel more on edge on my own in Liverpool than I do in Manchester.

As a comparison to my Cathedral shot above, this is one I shot on my DSLR a couple of years ago.

View attachment 11188

I'm tempted to recreate this on film one evening :0)

You bad boy,but,good,I hope the TBY is not around. :)

The film photograph is just so much more natural.

Last edited:
Some excellent pictures there :cool: I love Liverpool for shooting in, there's a great mix of old and new so theres always something to shoot :)

Some nice shots of Paddy's Wigwam too, i keep meaning to go and shoot it myself seeing as it was supposedly an ancestor of mine on my father's side that was involved with it's creation, a chap called Archbishop Downey :) He is buried within the crypt too!

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. I agree that Liverpool has a really varied selection of architecture.

I'd definitely recommend taking a visit to the wigwam, see what your ancestors put together :0)

Cracking set of images. It's not a bad place to live :) And you've done it great justice with this set. Love the first staircase shot. Every time I go in to take that shot there's always loads of other people with the same idea and I get cranky and leave!

About time for a NW F&C wander around these parts I reckon!

Good to hear. For some reason I always feel more on edge on my own in Liverpool than I do in Manchester.

It's like all cities really. Nothing to worry about. We're a friendly bunch.

Thanks Norters. It helped being in the museum on a Friday afternoon so there were very few people there. I think I'd do the same and give in if it was a busy Saturday afternoon (unless I wanted motion in the shot!).

I think another North West F&C meet would be a good idea. It's been a while since we had the Chester meet and Andy's probably getting thirsty by now ;0)

Back