A wander around Dinorwic Slate quarry, Llanberis

Edit My Images
No
Had a wander around Dinorwig Slate quaryy a couple of days ago, unfortunately I couldn't make it for the "golden hours" so a revisit is a definite. A few of the shots anyway...I've also added a couple of B&W conversions, I'd be interested on your feedback ref colour vs b&w?

Anglesey_barracks_dinorwic_llanberis_photograph.jpg

Llyn_Peris_electric_mountain_llanberis_photograph.jpg

snowdon_dinorwic_slate_quarry_llanberis_photograph.jpg

dinorwic_slate_quarry_llanberis_photograph.jpg

IMGP0894_bw.jpg

IMGP0920_bw.jpg

Love your pictures!

May I ask where about is that place and can I have the post code please ?

Cheers! :)

Love your pictures!

The slate quarry is directly above the National Slate museum in Llanberis (link enclosed)

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/slate/visit/

If you park in the musuem car park just walk back along the road you've just driven down as if heading into Llanberis and at the small mini-roundabout you'll see at sign for "Electric Mountain" power station on the left, just at the side of this is a slate-walled footpath that takes you up to the slate quarry.

Love your pictures!

Hi as a local to thr area may I suggest you buy a Ordanance survey map no 115 and go to km sq 5961 you will see a car park.Walk from here to the footpath and climb up th elevels by means of the old Quarrymens steps.PLEASE take great care as these are old and a good pair of walking boots are a MUST.This is by far a shorter route than what Simon is advocating,nothing of course wrong with that

Corsa

Hi as a local to thr area may I suggest you buy a Ordanance survey map no 115 and go to km sq 5961 you will see a car park.Walk from here to the footpath and climb up th elevels by means of the old Quarrymens steps.PLEASE take great care as these are old and a good pair of walking boots are a MUST.This is by far a shorter route than what Simon is advocating,nothing of course wrong with that

Corsa

As you say definitely a better parking spot if you want to save some climbing if going to the top inclines - it misses what I think are the best views of Llyn Padarn & Llyn Peris though which I think are from near the beginning of the path up from Electric Mountain not the walkway/viewpoint at the higher level. If parking here also make sure you drop down to have a look at Anglesey Barracks.

Corsa

Hi
can you be a bit more accurate ?(without the map) Directions would be useful to gain access to the area.
Many thanks
Morthin

Hi
can you be a bit more accurate ?(without the map) Directions would be useful to gain access to the area.
Many thanks
Morthin

Head for Deiniolen and carry straight on through, the road ends in the bus turn area/car park. This is the old Allt Ddu quarry Mills area, landscaped long ago. The footpath into the quarry is the old Allt Ddu-Mills tramway. Once into the mills area the path either carries straight on throug hand winds down to the far end of Llyn Padarn, or drops down the A4 and A3 inclines past Anglesey barracks and then off down to the lake shore at Glan y Bala.

The best stuff in the quarry is the other side of the fence, if you want to know any more than that then PM me, I won't go into detail here but a walk in the park it is not. (y)

Prefer the colour ones particularyshot two with the green water.

The second mono is lovely, the first one the building just seems to get lost in itself.

Sorry to hijack again, Morthin you can't receive PMs apparantly, PM me your email address and I'll send it there instead, I've just wrote a lengthy message!

Thanks for the comment - no HDR in these shots though

Simon

Perhaps not intentionally? i.e. is the fill light pushed up and recover as well?
It does look like HDR, although I appreciate that you've not blended two images together. It might be the compression of the images (I'm trying to explain why they appear HDR to me).
I might be the only one to think it then :cautious:

Perhaps not intentionally? i.e. is the fill light pushed up and recover as well?
It does look like HDR, although I appreciate that you've not blended two images together. It might be the compression of the images (I'm trying to explain why they appear HDR to me).
I might be the only one to think it then :cautious:

I see what you mean - as you say I've pushed the "fill" in ACR as I deliberately underexposed the shots to keep the highlights, I intend a revisit in better lighting, probably during winter to try and get something a bit better

I see what you mean - as you say I've pushed the "fill" in ACR as I deliberately underexposed the shots to keep the highlights, I intend a revisit in better lighting, probably during winter to try and get something a bit better

TBH I think these photos are very good, and just needs a tweaking in post processing - nice subject matter, good composition with plenty of texture, and the clouds in the sky are much nicer than photographing the same scene on a cloudless sky. (y)

TBH I think these photos are very good, and just needs a tweaking in post processing - nice subject matter, good composition with plenty of texture, and the clouds in the sky are much nicer than photographing the same scene on a cloudless sky. (y)

I agree great photos I would be well pleased with them.... I went to the museum last sunday at llanberis, I then went up to do a recee in the area via the village of Dinorwig , I did not enough time to have a good look around, but the weather and views were fantastic.
My thanks to Alan clogwyn for the info ..... spot on

Apparently I missed some of the most interesting buildings which still have clothing and other personal items in them - getting less now as people nick them unfortunately:shrug: - access to these buildings seemed to be along the main track heading towards Nant Peris and then climbing the inclines. Just so you know though these areas are fenced and displayed as private property

Simon

Indeed they are which is why I wasn't going to give out dierections on your thread. I have shown pics of them already mind, they're in my galery! :D

Back