A wedding photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the kit you use, which seem to be a 5dMkii and L glass I can't help but feel that the original image would show a lot more detail and more natural tones so would be good to see what a straight from camera shot would look like? Maybe offering up that image and asking what could have been done to bring out what your intentions might be a good learning process?

Also, your of course entitled to your own opinion about other peoples work, but tit-for-tat? Not nice, especially as Dav's work really sets the bar high to say the least.

I suspect he's realised he threw his toys out of the pram and is lying low, feeling a little ashamed of his behaviour.

Come back Terry. No need to feel awkward. Take the critique as being fair and well-intentioned, ignore the comments from people if you like - but NEVER offend those who are trying to help by saying what they see. They won't come back to you if you do and then you'll have lost a valuable tool in the fight to become THE best.

Quite :)

Ryan - as a friend of mine on TP, I value your opinion and also other togs that care to take the time to comment. I do believe we will only improve our work by listening to those around us. It can be an indication of your ability to be fair and honest by the friends you have made on TP.

:wave:

Thanks Joanne - that's made my day :)

R

Was the wedding held on this planet?
In all seriousness, I think the PP is a little extreme.

Cheers.

Dav

Terry - I in no way meant to offend you. My comment was said in jest, and in hindsight could and should have been phrased differently.

My C&C still stands however in that the PP is too harsh for a wedding shot.

I will say no more but I would sincerely like to see the rest of the shots from your first wedding.

Regards.

Dav

Last edited:
It just occurred to me that I hadn't actually commented on your picture OP.

The sky is mad and obviously never looked anything like that. The light on the couple looks like it was a nice sunny day. The sky looks like armageddon is upon them.

The wacky PP has made the colours go haywire - the skin tones look too pink and the grass looks too yellow.

I like her happy smile but he looks like he's eyeing up some other lass to camera right. He certainly doesn't seem interested in his bride.

I disagree with Mark on the groom straining to hold the bride. To me he looks like his coping nicely. It's just a shame you rushed the shot and forgot the composition. A few steps back and you've got the dress and feet in and it works much better. As it is I would advise you to crop it tighter to make it look like you meant it.

All in all - an attempt in PP to enhance a picture which didn't quite work.

Of course all this is my opinion. But what do I know - my work is total bobbins.

All the best x

There ya go, wrong reason. The photograph should be been taken of the couple not the sky. You've highlighted here that the great sky was more important than the couple and that's why is a very mediocre shot of the couple.

Mediocre shot? :shrug:

The couple dominate the picture..they are literally centre stage and the contrast between their faces and the dark sky is exactly what I wanted and what I was looking for.
All in all wedding photographs do not generally inspire me because I like to see something that's different from the norm but very rarely do.

The couple dominate the picture..they are literally centre stage and the contrast between their faces and the dark sky is exactly what I wanted and what I was looking for.
All in all wedding photographs do not generally inspire me because I like to see something that's different from the norm but very rarely do.

Great Terry, if you achieved the results you were looking for then the shot is right for you. (y) I am interested in what the B&G thought of this shot and the others which I am keen to see.

Thank you Terry for coming back to join in the thread you started. It's an open forum after all which will attract opinions and thoughts of others.

Terry - I no way meant to offend you. My comment was said in jest, and in hind sight could and should have been phrased differently.

My C&C still stands however in that the PP is too harsh for a wedding shot.

I will say no more but I would sincerely like to see the rest of the shots from your first wedding.

Regards.

Dav

Dav..if you seriously think I'm going to post my other photos for you and your buddies to tear to pieces for fun then you're seriously mistaken.

I've seen your photos as I've said and they don't really do anything for me. They look bland, overly posed and poorly processed. Seriously.
I wanted something a bit mnore than ordinary for my shoot and the couple are more than happy with the photos I've proiduced.

Terry, others have already pointed out, you asked for crit, you got it. TP is about sharing crit, not sticking your lip out when you get criticised. To then have a pop at someone else is not good sport.

This kind of post is what worries me about this site. It says that I can't respond to any kind of criticism or suggest that the people who are making the xriticisms are anything other than brilliant photographers. :bonk:

Dav..

I've seen your photos as I've said and they don't really do anything for me. They look bland, overly posed and poorly processed. Seriously.
I.

I haven't been very active on TP lately and I don't normally comment on wedding threads.....although I do enjoy looking at them!

I just wanted to say that I would really like my photos to be as bland, overly posed and poorly processed as Dav's............if I could achieve that I'd be dead chuffed:D

I haven't been very active on TP lately and I don't normally comment on wedding threads.....although I do enjoy looking at them!

I just wanted to say that I would really like my photos to be as bland, overly posed and poorly processed as Dav's............if I could achieve that I'd be dead chuffed:D

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. My criticism of Dav's work is genuine. He doesn't tend to stray outside of his comfort zone in my opinion.

He doesn't tend to stray outside of his comfort zone in my opinion.

Why would he?

You don't often see footballers driving F1 cars at the weekend.

Stick to what you are good at and Dav appears very good at Wedding photography.

Terry St said:
Dav..if you seriously think I'm going to post my other photos for you and your buddies to tear to pieces for fun then you're seriously mistaken.

I wanted something a bit mnore than ordinary for my shoot and the couple are more than happy with the photos I've proiduced.

I've never been in the same location as Dav at least not to my knowledge, so I don't think that would qualify as a buddy, I've followed some of his work as I do a number of photographers that inspire me across a number of genres, maybe one day our paths will cross and if they do I'm sure I'll enjoy a conversation with him. But the point is I will critique Dav or any photographer in the same way as I have in this thread, I would hope they would do the same for my work...I will not measure their critique against what I've seen them post photography wise

I hope you customers like your work and that if they don't you will take there comments onboard, I have found that the vast majority of non photographers would no a great photo if it slapped them around the face, but they will know what they like and most like traditional when it comes to there wedding photo's boundaries are to be pushed but it's also knowing when to push them

Matt

Edit: openly criticising mods actions when administering this site and the post on it is not going to make you any friends and is against the rules :nono:

Last edited:
I'm at the other end of the spectrum. My criticism of Dav's work is genuine. He doesn't tend to stray outside of his comfort zone in my opinion.

I love how you turn it around to criticise someone else's photographs in the thread that you started for your pic to be put up for critique.Take on board what people are saying and deal with it or don't bother putting up pics in the first place if you can't deal with the comments you recieve.

Terry St said:

Ignore your fancy pp for a moment and look just at the bride and groom, ignore the impressive sky etc and concentrate on the couple...that's where the shot is mediocre..the lighting on them is poor, the crop is poor, skin tones poor, the groom should be looking either at her or you, the shadows are harsh..etc, etc..

That's the part of your shot that is seriously lacking in certain fundamentals, the pp on the background is subjective to opinion but even you honestly can't say it is a decent portrait of the couple?

This kind of post is what worries me about this site. It says that I can't respond to any kind of criticism or suggest that the people who are making the xriticisms are anything other than brilliant photographers. :bonk:

Then you're reading something into it that I'm not seeing, because to me it says nothing of the sort.
Critique is often subjective, so quite clearly you don't have to agree with anyone else's opinion of your photos. In fact the people giving critique don't always agree with one another either. The point is that if you ask for critique, at least have the good grace to respond in the spirit in which it was given. There are ways to present your own opinion without resorting to throwing your toys out of your pram.

And bringing somebody else's photos into it, in a thread that's about critique of your photograph is very poor etiquette IMO :shake:

Wow so this is what you get when you get up super early in a Saturday!

The photo does not work for me. I do not think that the style of pp fits with a wedding. It's a nice enough photo of the bride and groom but as others have said, it would not be a photograph I would have in an album to remember my big day. Too post apocalyptic. I have to say that this style of pp does work on other photos though.

Feel free to look at my photographs. As a keen amateur I am always looking for ways to improve. I sometimes post photographs on this website and have found the crit I have received to be invaluable. Crit is never meant to be personal attacks and as somebody who obviously has designs on being a pro then maybe you should learn a little good grace.

(y)I have enjoyed reading this thread as it has pointed out to me that when you post something and you don't get the feedback you want you should stop and listen. The majority of feedback is good for the op even though he does not realise it. Hopefully he will take stock and listen to what has been said. It is not easy once you have said something about those that have left feedback. In the past have dug my heels in and argued my point and now admit i have possibly been wrong. To all those i may have offended i openly apologise. As for the op take it on the chin and accept what has been said. Chaz i think your edit has improved the shot no end.

Well said Roger... when you ask for critique you have to be prepared to hear what you may not like...if the majority say the same thing then its likely they are right (not always, but more often than not). To ask for critique you need to put your big boy pants on.

If you want to be told its amazing and want your back patted then post it on facebook.

I did my first wedding a few weeks ago and wouldn't mind some comments about this picture. Cheers.

Badly composed, badly exposed, far too much processing, in fact, I can`t see one redeeming feature in this photograph.

Sorry, but you asked.

If you like it though, what the hell............:)

Last edited:
Woah putting a photo on for critique gets you exactly what you wanted - criticism. Take the good and the bad. Some of the people who have taken the time here to comment are outstanding wedding toggers and its their level you should be aspiring to. Their comments should really be taken on board as they know what they are talking about!

If you like it though, what the hell............:)

:LOL: Of course that is what Art is about. But Weddings, well there's a whole new different monster ;)

A good WEDDING photographer will take images not to please himself, but to please the mother of the bride - isn't that how it works? :p

Oh and Dav - You are indeed a gentleman, apologising for nothing when you do not need to. In your initial post you were very clear that the opening comment was in jest, your further comment confirmed it and made the point that you wanted to make. It certainly was nothing that should have opened you to a personal attack in the manner the OP did. :shake:

I don't do wedding photography, so can only comment as a photographer/woman on the street looking at the image.
As has been said before, the sky is over the top and dominates the scene to much. The cutting off of the bottom of the grooms legs and brides dress could have been avoided and the groom is looking at something out of the shot and not at the bride or camera.
There seems to have been alot of processing on the shot as the trees in the background have an almost over HDR'd look about them.
As I said, this is just my opinion as you have posted this for critique. I would ask that as you feel this is such a good shot and don't appear to want any changes made why you would do that, rather than just place in the forums.

I dont do wedding photography - however: I know what I like :)

I dont like the PP on your image and having looked at your flickr SCENIC set the sky does seem rather familiar IMAGE 1 - in fact I'd go so far as to say its the same PP used in the wedding image

The couple are bang centre of the image = not good and the grooms legs are cut off also a mistake

But hey, if you like it then thats all that matters- people put images up for critique, good or bad

Les ;)

what a pile of KACK!!!!!!!! you all talk Ballards!!!!!

you are all Frumpy with out for sight.

I think the shot was well enhanced!!!1 Detail????? the dress is a plain dress with hardly any detail.

All of you go learn and shoot with film then come back to the play pen.

As for Davs shot it's nice but was he shooting a nightclub scene? NO!!!!

So the the Star burst flash coming back at you I don't like.......... so the shots from Dav and terry's shot is ok.... Feet? over rated!

For the guys first go at it you lot should be more forgiving. and i like over enhanced shots with high conrast or HDR. Dramatic sky? Yarhooooooooo!!!!!!

So as to the comments about DETAIL in DRESS... It's a plain dress aprt from lace texture around the bust.

......and Please...... No one likes ginger people except Chris Evans!

This site is full of Egos and half wits.... I wonder why anyone ever shows work for crit...

Crit means say something nice but advice on a positive to improve some where. not slag off with out your reason as to why is does not work.

I've been a tog for over 20 years... and if you can enhance on normallity I'm all for it.

If you can use your skills to make a shot look more than normal then great. make ugly people look good then you have achieved what every tog should set out to do.....

Let's face it... mother nature has not been kind to most of the brit population.......

and please don't flatter me with comments about my statement as I'm not fussed one way or the other.

Last edited:
PS. Dav is good at what he does and fella (OP) nice go at your first wedding....

We should have a thread on.. Wedding togs first Wedding photo. All show a shot from first wedding.

Then you could all be nasty and talk Kak about each other!!!

PPS. NO detail in dress???? I have some crayons... maybe you wonderful full time pros could colour it in for him??????

NO???? THOUGHT NOT!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Obviously freedom of speech and honest opinion are not welcome in your world.

TBH I didn't understand half of your rant.. Probably for the best.

My Rant Jerm?

Wheres the crit??? slagging the dude and not giving what they would do different or to improve is not crit.

80% is 'dont like this! Don't like that!!! give the guy some pointers...........

OP should not dig at Dav and for all the others should give hint at what they would do different..

Saying Over PP is not crit. Saying whats they dont like but not giving the OP a hint of what they would do?

They should not comment.

So your thoughts Jerm?

Last edited:
My Rant Jerm?

Wheres the crit??? slagging the dude and not giving what they would do different or to improve is not crit.

80% is 'dont like this! Don't like that!!! give the guy some pointers...........

OP should not dig at Dav and for all the others should give hint at what they would do different..

Saying Over PP is not crit. Saying whats they dont like but not giving the OP a hint of what they would do?

They should not comment.

So your thoughts Jerm?

Erm, I think most of the pointers have been covered quite well ---- don't have an armageddon sky with sunshine on the B&G. It just doesn't work......... :shrug:

There's enhancing - to remove a blemish, a slight tweak to slim people down a notch etc, and there's pushing the sliders too far.......... This is a prime example of too far. It looks false. It looks wrong. Why does it look so? Because it is.

OK first wedding fair play - and I'll ignore the excessive PP, but as mentioned above - pose, look and direction is all way off - those are given's of a wedding / portrait togger. :shrug:

I personally don't like the image and I'm happy to explain why:

In general it has been overly processed, the dramatic sky doesn't really add anything to the composition - what are you trying to show/say? Also I don't particularly think the sky was suitable for this type of processing, this works best in my opinion when there are large breaks of blue sky in the clouds.

I think the processing has also affected the background, large parts of which look washed out (grey tint) with other parts (the small tree on the left, and the large trees far right) looking overly sharpened and vivid. This makes the bride and groom almost look like they were added to the picture.

Smaller points include the couple not looking at the camera (in this case I feel it would work better) and the dress trail being cut off.

This is my honest opinion of the image, I'm not a professional but I do tend to have a good eye for what works.

What I would say is congratulations on your first wedding, I wish I had the courage to turn my passion for photography into a career. Would love to see some more shots from the day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Daryl

Many comments on this thread have explained why they don't like the image.

There's the image, which has been mostly fairly critiqued, and then there's the unnecessary retaliatory comments.

You don't have to produce the same as everyone else.. Wouldn't it be a boring world if we all did that.

If the intention however is to blaze a new and unique fashion and buck the trend then be prepared that most won't like it.

That doesn't make it wrong, but neither does it forgive personal and - IMHO - childish retaliatiatory comments.

For the record, I'm less bothered about the posing but hate the sky.

My opinion only of course.

It's a pity proper photos on other threads don't get this much attention/critque.....

Last edited:
Terry St said:
I'm merely pointing out that there are a lot of very ordinary photographers on this particular thread. I've looked at the photos they do and was not particularly impressed by them. I know they haven't asked for criticism of their own wotk and I'm not surprised.

Terry,

Considering you asked for a critique and respond with a comment like this I'll be surprised if you get any future advice.

Please feel free to critique my work on both http://www.jdoranphotography.co.uk/ and http://www.temptedimages.com/

But, if it is less than constructive please don't bother. Granted some of the comments are far from useful but replying in such a manner will not help you on your way.

Try to take on board what is said irrespective of how negative it is. That's how you learn.

John

Last edited:
..MD.. said:
Bland Ordinary ? :eek:

This is off one of your CRITICS.

I would like to know what you consider to be of a good enough tog to crit you...!

Awesome. Lol

Last edited:
HCK said:
Yes....but it was taken with a Canon! :nuts::nuts::nuts:

Everyone knows that only a canon can pull off good shots. ;0)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back