A wee dram

Hi Ian,
Thats a lot of alcohol! lol, ok, I have some critique for you - negative and good points

We'll start with the negatives if thats ok:
Composition is a bit flat, one bottle is overlapping the other, only one bottle (the one on the right) is in focus and it still doesnt look very sharp.
There is a reflection of a face in the left bottle and right bottle, looks quite eery to be honest! very ghostly!
You chopped the "necks" off the bottles and its a bit close cropped for my taste.

The good points, its alcohol ;)

Sorry to have been so negative, but I think you need to "spice" up the composition a little. Here are a couple of images I have tried myself, I dont think I've posted them on TP because im not happy with them myself:

This shot, I used black glossy perspex glass (to get the lovely reflection) and one softbox, though the softbox "wrinkles" were being reflected, I've tried brushing around them and I done a p*** poor job of it (you can see some odd whites/greys in there, hence I didnt post it on TP because I knew I'd get a slating for that, but it was a test shot, in my defence :p)

16292716635_871a0669ca_b.jpg

and at Christmas dinner, I grabbed this one:
15488915353_4dc80a9c66_b.jpg

Now although my processing sucks, I think the composition of them is better, the whole bottle is captured, there are some other "items" around to compliment the bottles - i.e. glasses.

If you were to do some more shots of your bottles, maybe poor some into a glass and get a shot (even if you dont have any flash or lighting, get the bottles by a window or have a fireplace in the background (lit of course)) they will look 100 times better than the one you have posted. Hope this helps give you some ideas :)

thank you very much for the feedback much appreciated will take on board your advice

Last edited:
I agree with Carl really... with something like this its good to give a little "context" rather than just plonking a bunch of bottles in a row and taking a shot of them... It's interesting to compare the relative colours of the contents, but that's pretty much it really - a bit of a "record shot"

This one I did a few years back for one of the Film and Conventional section's challenges "Doubles" gives a little context to the shot...

The Final Double (v2)
by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Alternatively there's always the glossy advertising type shot...

Bombay Sapphire Test 2
by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Could have done with Ice and a Slice in the Glass, but frankly I'd run out - indeed the "gin" is actually water, and the glass is Soda Water - the Gin and Tonic having been finished off the evening before by a friend...

(both images posted more to illustrate my point rather than saying they're a standard to aspire to... frankly Carl's shots are far better IMO.

Last edited:
Back