A week in Assynt

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
#1 About to go into Torridon
20180120-C1000576-1024x683.jpg

Joy of joys, I have escaped the crowded noise of south east England and am up in northern Scotland on a landscaping week with a pal of mine. I also happen to be testing a new Leica CL camera - you can read my detailed thoughts on it, and see more pictures here. And the whole gallery that I'm adding to as I go along is here.

The weather has been frankly insane. We had an early rise on Friday to drive up to Fort William, hitting snow as we got further north. Fort William itself was an ice rink. On Saturday we were up early again to take the long road to Ullapool, via Applecross and Torridon. Needless to say the pass to Applecross was shut so we went the low route. However we were one of the first cars on the road and there was thick snow everywhere making things rather "interesting". Happily, unlike Thomas Heaton, I was running snow tyres and 4WD so my Golf just got on with it.

#2 Glencoe
20180119_145434-2-1024x768.jpg

#3 That loch on the top of Rannoch Moor
C1000539-819x1024.jpg

Eventually we got to our cottage in Ardmair Bay. If you are looking for a cute, warm, cosy cottage with a stunning location, I can recommend this place. Great location to explore the whole of Assynt. It really is gorgeous up here, with VERY changeable weather. It went from -9C to +9C overnight, blizzards and thick snow to driving rain, with spots of sun inbetween. You're never bored on the west coast!

#4 Loch Assynt and its photogenic Scots Pines.
20180121-C1000654-1024x683.jpg

#5 Oops
20180121_083522-1024x498.jpg

#6 One of the many gorgeous beaches up here, with sea as clear as glass.
20180121-C1000678-819x1024.jpg

One thing I'm trying to do on this trip is get a better variety of images with different styles. It's something I still need to work on as I tend to default to the "there's a massive view, lets take a picture of it" method. I'm with my pal Gordon who is far more creative than me, so I'm nicking all his ideas at the moment.

#7 New location for me - the impressive Garvie Bay - worth a squelching walk through bogland to get there.
20180122-C1000793.jpg

#8 Going in close.
20180122-C1000834-1-819x1024.jpg

Anyhow, it's now Tuesday and it's grey, dull and raining, so we're trying to gather up the creative energy to get out into the wetness. Tomorrow we're heading way up north to Tongue so today will be a lower key and more subdued affair close to the cottage.

You might want to try different styles and that is great - but the 1st shot works as does the 7th (I like also 6 and 4) and the last one I just don't see the point of. The Rannoch Moor shot is a let down because you cannot see the distant mountain and I like your car :D

The first shot I would go so far to say is one of the best Torridon images ever taken - but then I would say that. I like big views reflected.

Last edited:
I just love #1. It's so atmospheric. It's an amazing area if (big if) the light is right, but sometimes the light there can be very special, and the scenery is stunning. My partner and I go up there most years, based just south of Ullapool. Last year we had a drive/short walks day and went over the pass to Applecross, to which he said 'been there, done that, never again'. The road wasn't a problem (certainly not in a Freelander) but it's the amount of traffic it attracts and the very limited number of places for passing. The coast road out is just so much nicer with great views (and you can stop to take photos!). We do sometimes get up into Assynt and the coast there is fantastic. I have images from last time taken around Ardmair looking out over the Summer Isles - beautiful. I'll stop now 'cos I want to go back - right now :)

#4 is a location I know well, but I've never been there when It has been frozen like that. Really like #7 as well, since the shutter speed is just perfect to capture the right degree of movement.

The first is just excellent; also like the last, in part because I like both Torridonian sandstone and lichens - and this contrasts them nicely. Also like the shutter speed on the gorgeous beach.

1 and 4 are my picks. The first is a beautiful scene in stunning conditions and very delicately processed. I like the perspective and composition of 4, bet it was cold out there. I quite like 3 but it's just a bit too high key in my opinion

Hey all - thanks so much for all the comments! It makes it all worthwhile.

Today has been a total wash out, with heavy rain lashing in from the west on the back of very high winds. We did pop out for a bit but nothing worth showing.

In the meantime here are a couple of additional pics. Absolutely no decent sunset for the last few days - just a general greyness that gets darker grey until it is black.

#9 The salt marsh at Achnahaird Beach
20180122-C1000850-1-1024x683.jpg

#10 A familiar view of Loch Lurgainn with Stac Pollaidh in the background
20180122-C1000863.jpg

I agre that your first image is very, very fine. However, I'm also likeing your Garvie Bay. The light on the foregorund rocks is beautiful. Shame Silven didn't show fully but then that's a good reason to return. Interesting location too. From a spotting point of view I love you 8th image. Careful processing has really brough this one out of it shell. FIne sett alround. It's certainly an annual pilgramage but normally in summer with my family. Winter is always more fun up there though, but I'm not sure my 5year old son would be too chuffed that he couldn't dig on the beach for very long!

"Excellent" set of images Sir, all of them are very appealing with #1 & #4 being my personal fav's.(y)

George.

More from today. Bloody windy up here - 80mph - got woken up by the house actually shaking. Bonkers. We headed up past Durness on a day-long trip out and about. Car flying everywhere across the road, horizontal rain, unable to stand up in the wind etc. Anyhow, got a few pics for you all, and you can find more in Episode 4.

#11 The inlet that formed Smoo Cave (behind the camera) leading out to sea just near Durness in the far north of Scotland. Leica CL, 18-56, 1/100th, f/5.6, ISO 100
20180124-C1000908-1024x1024.jpg

#12 Grasses on the dunes at Oldshoremore in north west Scotland are blown by gale force winds. Leica CL, 18-56, 1/6th f/16 ISO 100
20180124-C1000884.jpg

The very first image is epic. That should be on your wall.

I like the others too but number 1 is another level again, it's special.

Number 8 is very different and appealing, it would have to be my 2nd pick of the set. Then number 10, like that. (y)

PS :- I'm guessing Leica cameras are weatherproof. Hope it was ok. :eek:

Last edited:
I like #12 very much, though there seems to be an odd blue smudge in the upper RH side of the frame, affecting the colour of the grass, houses and the sky behind.

Folks, you're all too kind. I might drop #1 into some competition or other.

I like #12 very much, though there seems to be an odd blue smudge in the upper RH side of the frame, affecting the colour of the grass, houses and the sky behind.

Thanks - I think that is overaggressive split toning on my part, made worse by using a crappy laptop screen. Thanks for pointing it out - I'll sort it for the "proper" final version.

The Leica CL doesn't have any weather proofing but thankfully the snow was dry so I managed to blow it off and wipe any remainder away. Posted today at 12:37pm
So was that your car in the car park at Ardmair when I passed by today at about 11:30?

Nice set Andy from a beautiful part of the world. No4 is my pick, its a wonderful composition.

The final part 5 of my week long Scotland trip review is now up: http://tobinators.com/blog/2018/01/landscape-2/leica-cl-in-scotland-2018-part-5-last-one/

Today Gordon and I climbed Spidean Coinich in the dark for sunrise. Bloody amazing. Hard work but once we were up there it was amazing. For once, the weather was just about right, and there was no wind which is very unusual. Lots of stuff in there for you to read through.

#13 The mountain we climbed is the pointy one to the left.

20180126-C1010053.jpg

#14 Looking across the Loch Assynt valley from the way up Spidean Conich

20180126-C1010046.jpg

An interesting week in pictures. We likely passed at some stage. I was up in Ullapool from Monday to Friday and in Durness on Wednesday (after a very windy dawn in front of Stac Pollaidh watching the water lifting off the loch). Thursday at least was rather nice before the drive home. Took out a gent a wee while back with the CL and I rather liked it.

Great to see this landscape in the wintry conditions. I know it from warmer times! In fact I'll be up quite soon, looking forward to it.

A friend in the area is passionate about landscapes up there: he's got some shots up on a work in progress website.

What a wonderful set of photos Andy. Really shows what a good photographer you are, planning a trip and just heading out regardless to 'make' images. I'm not qualified to critique them, but the only thing that caught my eye as a minor point was in shot 12. Removing some of the blue cast in the white houses may be worthwhile? I too like your car, as I used to have a V6 4WD Golf, great photography car apart from the fuel!

What a wonderful set of photos Andy. Really shows what a good photographer you are, planning a trip and just heading out regardless to 'make' images. I'm not qualified to critique them, but the only thing that caught my eye as a minor point was in shot 12. Removing some of the blue cast in the white houses may be worthwhile? I too like your car, as I used to have a V6 4WD Golf, great photography car apart from the fuel!

Thanks Craig - much appreciated. I have removed the blue from shot 12 on my PC and it does indeed look much better, so thanks for the feedback. With the Golf, I get about 320 miles to a tank and 29-30mpg. Not very economical, but I absolutely love it.

I'm missing Assynt already - great place and it brings out the creativity in you, as well as being quiet and generally lovely. And the pie shop in Lochinver is worth the trip on its own.

I'm missing Assynt already - great place and it brings out the creativity in you, as well as being quiet and generally lovely. And the pie shop in Lochinver is worth the trip on its own.
Don't know if you saw it Andy, but Paul Murton's Grand Tour last night included Assynt (and the pie shop!). Available now on the iPlayer at the link. ;) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b096v0gj

Ardmair-Bay-smaller.jpg

Sorry to hijack thread. Here's one from this morning. Can't see a car in it!

Ardmair-Bay-2_DxO.jpg I did some more work on it. I think this is better.

Back