A week in the Cotswolds & only one shot !!

Edit My Images
No
I've just returned from a week in the Cotswolds and only managed one real landscape shot...unfortunately, as nice as the villages are, I couldn't really find much inspiration for landscape shots :shrug:

This is Broadway Tower, all C&C welcome

Simon

IMGP0551.jpg

I know that feeling Simon. Sometimes the best place for the camera is in it's bag.

Glad that the one shot you managed is as good as this. I am tempted to comment on the way the tower gets "wider" as it gets to the top however I have never seen this building (despite living in the Cotswolds for a year in my youth!) and it may well be a bit squint.

Well done in resisting a mono conversion. The colours and the distant view are strong contributors to this very pleasant image.

And no tourists! You cannot shoot anything up here just now for swarms of them.

I know that feeling too. I have been bashing away at one location now for weeks, and I just CANNOT get the results that I am looking for. I keep being disappointed.

This is good, and the sky is particularly dramatic. I think the tower itself just needs a little lift, particularly the lovely stonework where the light catches the centre section of the tower. I like the way the outer edges of the tower are dark - it provides drama. Perhaps a similar lift to the patch of sunlit landscape in the distance would provide balance.

I hope I am not overstating my case at the cost of the atmosphere of the shot, but something along these lines? I fiddled with the light radius and applied an unsharp mask.

IMGP0551-2.jpg

But I know I overdid it, so I did it again with a very low gaussian blur. I know its still far from perfect, but I hope you see what I am getting at without being offended!

Last edited:
I think it stands out beatifully against the sky, to monochrome this photograph as a first choice would be sinful !

Horrocks,

I see your point although I tend to prefer things on the subtle side so have given the tower the USM treatment, definitely works better, cheers (y)

I've added a little extra saturation on the tower to enhance the sun light shining on it too

New version
IMGP0551_nosharp.jpg

original
IMGP0551.jpg

Lovely shot mate and the edit makes it even better.

Andy

Thats it!

Please, tell me about the 'USM' treatment.

I completely agree on subtle, particularly for this shot. My version removed the vital 'warmth' from the photo, particularly the stone.

I just used the lasso tool to select the tower & ran a little USM + increased the vibrance slightly

Simon

Back