A weekend at the Spa (Francorchamps)....

Edit My Images
Yes
Was fortunate enough to be given permission to play out and spend a very pleasant and unseasonably warm and dry long weekend in Belgium earlier in the month - at probably the prettiest motor racing circuit in the world - the fantastic Spa-Francorchamps in the Ardennes, for the second round of this year's FIA WEC.

A great first outing for the new toy, having just upgraded from a 40D to a 7Dii a week or so beforehand. Still getting used to the almost-telepathic AF compared to the 40D, and the various customisations and zones....

A select bunch below, in three sections. C+C, as always, invited...

So, first up, support races from the Porsche Carrera Cup and the TCR series...

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_6586.jpg

One of the joys of WEC is the unhindered pit lane access for a few hours prior to qualifying and the race proper....

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_7412.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_7329.jpg

Good set of images there Scoop. What focal lengths did you use for the track shots?

Thank you!

Focal length varied, to be honest - most of these were with a 70-200 and 1.4x TC on a 1.6x crop sensor, so 150-450mm 35mm equivalent. Depending on track position it tended to be one end or the other of this range.

Spa is incredibly photo-friendly, with lots of places to shoot over the catch fencing and many, many gaps cut into the fencing for spectator photography all around the circuit. Very unlike, say, Silverstone in this respect. The hilly nature also helps to get above the fencing and look down on the cars for a less-common viewpoint. For WEC, the open paddocks and grandstands make for a variety of photo locations. There are a few useful location guides on the web which were helpful for trip pre-planning and thinking ahead to image possibilities...

A lot of interesting shots there, no numbers so can't be bothered counting them but the two portrait ones were good.

Thread moved Please post images in the section prefixed photo's, not talk thanks

Would like to visit here one day, always looks a good track to shoot. Like #3 showing the setting but would be tempted to crop a bit off the top.

Fantastic set of shots there.. I was there for the F1 last year, but missed Qually due to an unexpected trip in an ambulance... still, I remember some of it, and your shots remind me of the better time I had there. So thanks for that!

Back