A weekend away in Lisbon, one zoom and one prime suggestions please.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I m off to Lisbon on Friday and having never been there before I would appreciate your advice please.

I want to take one zoom and one prime to photograph landscape, architecture, night photography and group shots. I m using an APS-C sensor with the following lenses:

1. 16-55mm f2.8 or 10-24mm f4

2. 16mm f1.4 or 35mm f2

I m thinking of taking the 16mm f1.4 and the 10-24mm f4?

If you have been to Lisbon before what do you think?

Many thanks

Maybe have a look on Flickr and see what has been shot and with what focal lengths?

I'd go for the extra flexibility the 18-135 offers (at a slight cost in ultimate IQ and max aperture) and the 16mm as the faster, (marginally) wider option. Then again, I'd probably try to sweet talk Mrs Nod into carrying another lens for me too!

I'd go for the extra flexibility the 18-135 offers (at a slight cost in ultimate IQ and max aperture) and the 16mm as the faster, (marginally) wider option. Then again, I'd probably try to sweet talk Mrs Nod into carrying another lens for me too!
Sadly, I haven't got the 18-135 and it's only me traveling this time, so no spare bags for extra lenses [emoji853]

Maybe have a look on Flickr and see what has been shot and with what focal lengths?
I have had a look and it seems that the majority are using lenses between 16mm and 70mm. I might end up taking just the 16-55mm

It's been a while since I've been but I'd take the
1. 16-55mm f2.8 (General walk around)
2. 35mm f2 (If I wanted to travel a bit lighter and do some street stuff)

Well, actually I'd take the 18-55 2.8-4 and the 23mm F2 as I don't have the two mentioned and I like 35mm equiv field of view.

It's been a while since I've been but I'd take the
1. 16-55mm f2.8 (General walk around)
2. 35mm f2 (If I wanted to travel a bit lighter and do some street stuff)

Well, actually I'd take the 18-55 2.8-4 and the 23mm F2 as I don't have the two mentioned and I like 35mm equiv field of view.
The 18-55mm looks like a good option that is light, great image quality with OIS. I don't have this lens but it would definitely be in my camera bag if I had one.

Well I hope the weather clears up for you!

Lisbon is a city to get lost in/walkabout in. So bring your favourite walkabout lens. I'm a big fan of the 35mm on FF focal length and regularly take my 17mm on m43 around Lisbon.

I've written a blog post on Lisbon, hope it can give you some ideas on things to visit and stuff to do. http://jacobellwood.co.uk/travelling/portugal/top-things-to-do-in-and-around-lisbon/

Feel free to drop me a PM or reply here with any questions on Lisbon in general :)

My advice overall is don't get too hooked up on equipment. The city is stunning and full of character, culture and amazing architecture. Just come and enjoy it. :)

Hi

As lens choices go, I don't think it matters where you're visiting. You know your technique, what sort of photos you're after, your lens capabilities, what you feel happy carrying.

I've been visiting Lisbon once or twice a year for the past 20 odd years, I always take a compact. HERE are a couple from my recent visit, taken with my Canon G7X

I'm into people pics at the moment, but architectural gems found down Av. da República (I like the old bullfighting ring) Av. da Liberdade (love the Prada shop) down to Baixa, look out for Rossio Station, Chiado up on one side, Alfama on the other, all interesting. On to Praça do Comércio by the river, walk to Cais do Sodré ... in fact you can walk all of this.

But then, at Cais do Sodré you get the train to Belem, Estoril & Cascais. One more place: Parque das Nações on the Metro red line to Orient Station.

You can fit that into a lovely w/e ... enjoy. :cool:

Last edited:
Well I hope the weather clears up for you!

Lisbon is a city to get lost in/walkabout in. So bring your favourite walkabout lens. I'm a big fan of the 35mm on FF focal length and regularly take my 17mm on m43 around Lisbon.

I've written a blog post on Lisbon, hope it can give you some ideas on things to visit and stuff to do. http://jacobellwood.co.uk/travelling/portugal/top-things-to-do-in-and-around-lisbon/

Feel free to drop me a PM or reply here with any questions on Lisbon in general :)

My advice overall is don't get too hooked up on equipment. The city is stunning and full of character, culture and amazing architecture. Just come and enjoy it. :)
Thanks and great link by the way

Hi

As lens choices go, I don't think it matters where you're visiting. You know your technique, what sort of photos you're after, your lens capabilities, what you feel happy carrying.

I've been visiting Lisbon once or twice a year for the past 20 odd years, I always take a compact. HERE are a couple from my recent visit, taken with my Canon G7X

I'm into people pics at the moment, but architectural gems found down Av. da República (I like the old bullfighting ring) Av. da Liberdade (love the Prada shop) down to Baixa, look out for Rossio Station, Chiado up on one side, Alfama on the other, all interesting. On to Praça do Comércio by the river, walk to Cais do Sodré ... in fact you can walk all of this. At Cais do Sodré you can get the train to Belem, Estoril & Cascais. One more place: Parque das Nações on the Metro line to Orient Station.

You can fit that into a lovely w/e ... enjoy. :cool:
Thanks. I m just wondering whether 16mm on a cropped sensor will be wide enough for the old street views?

Thanks. I m just wondering whether 16mm on a cropped sensor will be wide enough for the old street views?
I don't think you will struggle much - by a quick calculator its 25mm? (* 1.6) - which is the focal length I've walked around Lisbon with many times and not struggled. :)

I don't think you will struggle much - by a quick calculator its 25mm? (* 1.6) - which is the focal length I've walked around Lisbon with many times and not struggled. :)
Great. Mine is a 1.5 crop factor so it 24mm equivalent. Every little helps [emoji16]

There is a mass of stuff to shoot in Lisbon so various focal lengths may be required. I shot pretty much 50/50 with the 10-24 and 16-55

It really depends on how you approach it. I went to Hong Kong once with a Tilt-Sift and shot 10 days using just that. Did normal stuff, TS stuff, you can still capture a city with whatever lens you have.

Back