A which Mac first question...

Name
David Thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
We are sick and tired of the PC problems and after another PC outage recently we've decided to make the Mac move. We've known for some time that we want an iMac and have been saving hard. The saving is going better than expected so we're not far off having enough. We also know that we'll then start saving immediately to replace my wheezing laptop with a Macbook pro. They will both be the entry level models as we can neither afford or justify getting all the bells and whistles, so it'll be the 24" iMac 2.66Ghz and the 13" Macbook pro.

Now then, it struck me the other day that the order we are buying them in might be wrong? Since the desktop died, we've been using the laptop almost exclusively even after the desktop was repaired. I'm not sure whether that's just laziness or because the desktop tends to be a pain in the you know what. I think that we'd be better getting the iMac first and then the macbook at a later date just for me, but on the flip side, getting the macbook pro first would be very convenient! I'd appreciate input from those who know about both and how much we'd be losing out by not having the iMac first!

We'll be using it as a family type machine as well as my PS/LR needs. We're also going to be saving for some kind of camcorder as we've another little one on the way later in the year.

Many thanks in advance (y)

Well - if it is going to be used for PS/LR then the 24" screen would be a lot better suited than the 13" screen, and it'll be faster so iMac first seems like a wise idea. :)

wow, that was quick! I think I'll just stare dumbfounded at the screen if it's an iMac as I've been using nothing but a laptop for the last 18 months for all my image work.

Sub question - would I be better off sticking aperature on the machine or go for LR2? :thinking:

i got to the point that i was fed up with my pc and a friend converted me to mac and i took the gamble and bought a mac mini and ive never looked back... find your local apple shop and go and have a play and see what you think, well worth going for a mac *** it takes a little while to get used to but once your used to it its alot better and alot more reliable

wow, that was quick! I think I'll just stare dumbfounded at the screen if it's an iMac as I've been using nothing but a laptop for the last 18 months for all my image work.

Sub question - would I be better off sticking aperature on the machine or go for LR2? :thinking:

You can try aperture free for a month, maybe the same with LR so that would be best - read instructions carefully first as I managed to delete some master copies of pics by mistake!

I use LR as I find I can tweak pics easily and quickly. I have used aperture and would use again as I found removing someone/thing from a pic (like someone in the background) much easier.

I then export all images to iPhoto, as I find that a great way to view pics and upload to iWeb etc...

Well - if it is going to be used for PS/LR then the 24" screen would be a lot better suited than the 13" screen, and it'll be faster so iMac first seems like a wise idea. :)

Agreed, unless you take the other option of a 15" MBP and a 24" external display. I ran this for a while before buying a 24" iMac a few weeks ago.

May be a better option if you don't actually need 2 machines.

Oh, I prefer LR2 btw.

I'm also a fan of the laptop and external screen way of working, especially if you only need one machine.

If you already have a copy of Lightroom 2 you will be able to get the license transferred to Mac (it is the same with PS), I tried Aperture after having used Lightroom for a while and much preferred the Lightroom way of working, so upgraded to Lightroom 2, rather than moving to Aperture.

Im running a MacBook Pro and a 24" monitor. I was going to buy a Mac Pro as well but I'm happy with the MBP that I'm not sure now.

I'm running with my image files on external drives running via eSata card in the Mac expresscard slot ( the slot is not available on all the MacBooks)..

I'm a Lightroom user mainly due to being on PC before the MBP. Best download trial versions and see what you think. Seems to be more tutorials and books available for Lightroom than Aperture though.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately we can't get away with just one machine as a laptop is essential for when I get deployed and Internet is the only way to see and chat to my family. I would love the convenience of a MBP now, but I think the sensible thing will be the iMac and get the MBP next year before my next deployment. I'll give the aperature a go too. I have to say that I love LR, but it can't hurt to try something new!!

Buy macbook + screen and you will have a laptop and a DECENT monitor. Also you won't have to throw away the monitor when you upgrade (if you buy NEC you will want to keep it for a while). iMac is probably geared towards office and home entertainment markets.

I've never tried Aperture, but LR2 works great on macs (I only miss perspective and distortion correction)

I use MacBook Pro & 23" Mac screen... lovely combination. Have CS4 and a few plug-in's, never a problem always a joy :D

Thanks guys. Unfortunately we can't get away with just one machine as a laptop is essential for when I get deployed and Internet is the only way to see and chat to my family. I would love the convenience of a MBP now, but I think the sensible thing will be the iMac and get the MBP next year before my next deployment. I'll give the aperature a go too. I have to say that I love LR, but it can't hurt to try something new!!

Good plan given that reasoning!

If I were you I'd stick with Lightroom, it's got much broader support than Aperture ( as it's PC & Mac) and you can just move any existing PC catalog (and license) straight across.

Back