A wierd one for you

Edit My Images
Yes
I was playing on my xbox 360 last night at about 8:15 with a mate over xbox live, chatting as you do. Through the blinds I noticed someone go down next doors drive, knock, get no answer and then walk towards our house. I said to my mate "someone is going to knock at the door in a sec" and sure enough, he did.

So I open the door, expecting to be greeted by a kleeneze magazine collector or a meter reader (why at 8:15pm I have no idea), instead there's this bloke in a duffel coat who starts waffling on about flying over last year and he'd called round last week.

At this point I'm like wha?

He goes on and I establish that he flew over our house last year in a helicopter, looking for houses that stood out and took some photos of our house and the adjoining houses. Out of his coat pocket he pulls out some 6x4 prints showing the houses, all in focus, framing not perfect, but I guess if you're hovering then you have issues anyway.

He was blabbering on about having a pentax medium format and how that ensured him the best possible quality and how he shot them with a 300mm lens. He never mentioned buying/selling the photos but he had at least 50-60 in his pocket of different houses so he was going door to door I presume trying to sell them.

He soon shut up when I told him I was also a photographer and rattled off some numbers to him, maybe my lack of enthusiasm towards his average pictures showed. I dunno. Ah yeah that was it - he said using his pentax medium format allowed him to blow the prints up really big, I told him I could blow up the prints from my 30d really big too. I think he knew he wasn't going to get a sale then.

I mean okay, some people like to have aerial pictures of their houses on their walls, if you're in a detached house or have really nice surroundings. I mean we've got a 40mph road to the front, rolling farmer's fields to the back but the houses themselves are just plain townhouses, no special features, just 6 of them in a row and I have to be honest, they look fairly plain to be honest, you can see them on google earth and its just 6 terraced houses. If you are driving down the road, its easy to drive past them and not notice them. Ours house certainly doesn't stand out, so its more likely that he's taken photos of EVERY house in the area and is knocking on EVERY door :p (thats what I'd do to make people buy them).

So, I think he was selling them, but he never talked about prices, he mentioned something about blowing them up though. He was quite difficult to understand, he had a funny accent and a weird voice.

Anyway - the real reason for sharing this is I mean I guess fair play to the bloke for going door to door and trying to shift his photos, but why on earth did he have a load of loose photos in his pocket, all at 6x4? Does it really cost that much to get some 8x6's done at 39p each from photobox (even if you have to scan the negs in). At 6x4, an aerial photograph is pretty much useless, regardless of however much detail a medium format camera gives you. You can see bugger all on a 6x4 print. Have a load of 8x6 proofs, have one thats framed so you can show what you're actually selling, and not knock on people's doors at 8:15pm when I'm trying to play crackdown and blow things up on the xbox.

Some people :wacky:

I dunno, since getting into photography my feelings towards things like that have changed, I know the helicopter ride won't have been cheap, but he'll at least break even if he charges what people usually charge for them. If I have an aerial photo up on the wall of our house, I want it to be a photo that either Sue or I took. Some of the stuff that people post up on here is fantastic and I wouldn't have a problem with having that on my wall either, its just it was a picture of the houses (that aren't a particularly nice subject anyway) and after seeing all of the great work on here I'm a bit jaded.

This time last year I might have been impressed, so I've decided it's all your fault :p :bonk:

So.........

A medium format camera takes a picture 4times the size of a 35mm camera - but is that 4times the size and just as good quality?

I see WE have one listed at £1300+ but its discontinued. I would have presumed that if they were that good then they'd still sell them in some shape or form? I'm quite willing to accept that I'm wrong though and that the guy really did have the best camera in the world and it makes my 30d look like a disposable.

But to be honest, I've seen better pics on here from people's first cameras.

Still doing some reading, medium format quality looks good - but the tests I'm reading up on were done in 2003 against a 3.3mp digital camera - just a compact.

And in regards to scanning in the negs and getting photobox to print them, it was apparently expensive to get a scanner capable of doing the slides.

I'm not a digital snob, I like film cameras but the developing costs are just so high I can't justify shooting through too much film. It was more trying to find out whether medium format was "that" much better than a semi pro camera model of today.

So.........

A medium format camera takes a picture 4times the size of a 35mm camera - but is that 4times the size and just as good quality?

In film cameras Medium Format blows 35mm away, because the negative is that much larger and holds much more detail but its more convenient to use a 35mm digital camera.

When it comes to digital medium format.... BLOWS 35mm away. but at £20,000 for a 39 mexapixel Hasselblad digital back (thats not the camera thats just the sensor on the back) that makes em a tad expensive.

Big big raw files and a 2gb card holds 40 images

And in my case I can't afford although am tempted to sell my soul for it

lol

Thanks for clearing that up for me Scott.

It certainly didn't look like he'd used a digital medium format camera, he wouldn't have a pocket full of photos anyway (you'd have expected a clipboard in the very least)

Sounds like a business opportunity for Tims helicopter with a camera added on the bottom :)

I regularly use a digital medium format 25mp amd 39mp and they are out standing, But if you want big negs try 5x4 or 8x10 sheet film, very nice and superb quality especially when printed B+W in the Darkroom.

did you know MS said that the xbox360 had a 30% failure rate? I just thought i would tell you that, seeing as your on your second one...

we get people knocking on the door trying to flog us pictures of the house from 300 feet up, they all get the same reply.

I had someone like that call on my house a few years ago, he had blown up pics to 10x8 and had them framed, pretended I wasn't really interested when he said £40, so he went down to £20, then £10! I gave in then and put it up in the hall, wasn't a bad pic really, :D

Matt,
I live in the same neck of the woods as you and I think the it must have been the same guy that came to our house a while back. He just mumbled on about how he had been up in a little plane taking pictures. He seemed to go on for ages without actually trying to sell anything. A wierd guy.

Yeah Jonathan that was it - just sort of muttered, didn't say anything about selling them.

Now I've thought about it I would have told him that I wasn't prepared to give permission for my house to be featured in the shots and as a result he wouldn't be able to sell any of the ones to the neighbours ;)

Back