A1 Killer?

I don't believe it'll make any difference to A1 sales (except for the very misguided), the justification was and still remains being invested in the Profoto ecosystem, without that the A1 never made any sense.

I am a little curious to see where Godox will price this, will it get a mark up given it's an A1 copy or will it be much the same price as their existing V860II etc.

I don't believe it'll make any difference to A1 sales (except for the very misguided), the justification was and still remains being invested in the Profoto ecosystem, without that the A1 never made any sense.

I am a little curious to see where Godox will price this, will it get a mark up given it's an A1 copy or will it be much the same price as their existing V860II etc.

I think the important thing is that it can use the same round head accessories as the AD200

Certainly will not be A1 price wise so expect a price hike from V86II, probably means you will only be able to buy 6 instead of an A1 rather than 8 or 10 as currently

Power could be more than an A1 though

Mike

Accessories
What accessories are better on a tiny round head? There are plenty of snoots/honeycombs/doors/etc accessories for rectangular speedlights already (not that most make much sense). They'll probably go magnetic like the H200R head for the AD200, but that's not enough to make me want to buy one...

Last edited:
What accessories are better on a tiny round head? There are plenty of snoots/honeycombs/doors/etc accessories for rectangular speedlights already (not that most make much sense). They'll probably go magnetic like the H200 head for the AD200, but that's not enough to make me want to buy one...

Precisely that, it can use the same accessories as the AD200,

I looked at the H200R head, but it drops the GN too much; you're better off using the diffuser on the standard reflector/BB head.
Seems to me they are getting off track and going down the route of marketing "gadgets."

I thought this was going to be a thread about the Nikon FA, or some other rival of the Canon A1. Which probably dates me.

That's the appeal I think and round is a bit better/easier for that - and it looks cool/different (even if it isn't ;)). Rob Hall's video linked by TG shows a lot of other new features too, all welcome, and it's good to see Godox applying some overdue new thinking to speedlights (y)

A rectangular head doesn't make sense for off-camera flash, so this makes sense *I would have thought* for all those using speedlights off camera.

FIRST LOOK AT NEW GODOX ROUND HEAD FLASH - PROFOTO A1 ALTERNATIVE

Looks good but I did chuckle when I heard they're changing the battery used again, I dream of the day when you can buy the same accessories across different Godox products.

Looks good but I did chuckle when I heard they're changing the battery used again, I dream of the day when you can buy the same accessories across different Godox products.

Strangely when I used to have multiple systems they all had different batteries so nowt new in that situation, battery technology like flash technology is constantly evolving so I want the latest however a retro backwards compatible battery would not be a bad thing

I wondered about that too, until I realised it was changing to a pair of lithium 18650 cells with improved performance over the lithium battery pack used in current Godox speedlights which is rated at 7.2v 2000mAh. 18650 batteries are widely available for any number of devices (most commonly e-cig vaporisers I think) from numerous manufacturers rated at 3.6v 3000mAh, for £10-15 each with four-cell chargers at £25-ish. 18650 seems to be the 'new AA'.

Yongnuo is also using 18650 lithiums now http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn560li-speedlight-released/

Last edited:
I wondered about that too, until I realised it was changing to a pair of lithium 18650 cells with improved performance over the lithium battery pack used in current Godox speedlights which is rated at 7.2v 2000mAh. 18650 batteries are widely available for any number of devices (most commonly e-cig vaporisers I think) from numerous manufacturers rated at 3.6v 3000mAh, for £10-15 each with four-cell chargers at £25-ish. 18650 seems to be the 'new AA'.

Yongnuo is also using 18650 lithiums now http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn560li-speedlight-released/

I've never used an 18650 before and I'm only aware of them because I was looking for a small and powerful torch a year ago. That's fine though, I'm actually glad they've picked a standard battery as it means we're not reliant on the whims of Godox for availability of their older batteries but I just hope they learn to stick with it!

A rectangular head doesn't make sense for off-camera flash, so this makes sense *I would have thought* for all those using speedlights off camera.
Why not? Rectangular softboxes have been the norm for years. And the image area is rectangular to match... But I don't think it really matters with a speedlight... it's still going to be tiny (point type catchlights) and you won't (normally) see the edges in a picture.
The only thing I can see that might be a real advantage is that they are using a circular type tube with it (I believe)... The straight tube of the traditional speedlight can create a significant hotspot with the plain fresnel lens; maybe the circular tube will be more even.
The cheap/common batteries are attractive, but I have to say I really like the single battery pack over the rack of AA type batteries I had before. It's a kind of silly thing, but I was really happy to get away from a bunch of individual little batteries to keep track of/organized/charged.

Why not? Rectangular softboxes have been the norm for years. And the image area is rectangular to match...

Sure, but as a light source it makes more sense *to me* for it to be round, even if the modifiers are not alway.

Back