A1 squeak

Name
John
Edit My Images
No

Canon cough or Canon squeak, I dunno.
So I buy this A1 from you know where as a runner, turns out it isn't a runner and I get refunded and I get to keep the camera.
So I put it in for repair last October on the premise it was Canon cough probably and needed a lubrication.
I then forgot about it till February, turns out it wasn't Canon cough according to the repairer, but some part of the shutter assembly and we were waiting for some donar parts.
I have more cameras than you can shake a stick at so I wasn't in any rush, anyway the phone call came earlier in the week that it was repaired @ £65, so I picked it up this morning.
I've just tried it and it sounds exactly the bladdy same as it did 7 months ago when I took it in.
So WTF is Canon cough Canonites, speaking as a total Nikon die hard I'm thinking maybe me and the repairer failed to communicate on some level or another.

Doesn't sound right to me - Original Video
player.swf

***Doesn't sound right to me - Original Video***

erm strange noise, but this canon squeak seems to have different noises, here's another link. I have the Canon AV1 and thought it sounded normal (well unless you meet someone else with one how would you know), but after youtube think I might have a slight squeak but it doesn't sound like a cough:-

A canon cough/squeak:-
ww.youtube.com/watch?v=**_Vzyy2S_M&feature=related

the only way I can link this is:- to copy and paste and add the missing "w" from www

Well - just to compare, I've quickly recorded my A1 - same as yours - no lens and pointing at the mic...

linky

this was what I thought canon cough sounded like...

Well - just to compare, I've quickly recorded my A1 - same as yours - no lens and pointing at the mic...

On the right side select...."repair of canon a-1 squeak"

A canon cough/squeak:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=**_Vzyy2S_M

erm can't link youtube?

I can't get that to work.

The last 3 actuation in my vid sound like that, so it is Canon cough even though it sounds like a squeak..heck we didn't choose to name a squeak a cough so what can yer do.:shrug:
Its not every shot, sometimes I don't hear one for ten frames then I get ten on the trot, its definitely not fixed...bugger...:(

Yes, that's exactly how I remember it from my retailing years many moons ago. Can't recall if the AV-1 suffered with it, but certainly the A-1, AE-1, and AE-1 Program had the squeak.

I can't get that to work. (

Nor can I, it seems this forum stops you linking to youtube, but go the thebigyin's 2nd link and on the right side are other youtubes, select the one "repair of canon a-1 squeak"...... now that's a nasty cough.

The last 3 actuation in my vid sound like that, so it is Canon cough even though it sounds like a squeak..heck we didn't choose to name a squeak a cough so what can yer do.:shrug:
Its not every shot, sometimes I don't hear one for ten frames then I get ten on the trot, its definitely not fixed...bugger...:(

You're right - the last three have got a definite wheeze going on there, haven't they :thumbsdown:

My first link, was a recording of my camera, which seems, at the moment at least, seems to be working okay - though it has showed one occasional fault - the shutter trips occasionally when I wind on. If the camera had cost me anything, i'd be annoyed, but as it is, I just put the lens cap on, and turn the shutter release to 10second before winding which seems to stop it misfiring.:shrug: I've had a bit of a google around but not found anyone with this problem, so I think I may just live with it for now.

As far as squeaks/coughs/wheezes etc it seems pretty reasonable, and with the lens on the front it feels pretty quiet to me... had the recording gain cranked way up for that audio grab:shrug:

Watch the mirror...if you find it drops down at different speeds after you have fired your shot its the mirror damper that needs lubricating...I would also be asking for a refund from the shop who informed you it had been repaired

You're right - the last three have got a definite wheeze going on there, haven't they :thumbsdown:
Yus, in person the other actuations have a less dramatic but obvious lisp, its not easy to tell in the vid till those last 3.
Shame really, I'm not interested in Canon gear generally but I like the feel of this camera, its quite....Nikon like.:LOL:

Watch the mirror...if you find it drops down at different speeds after you have fired your shot its the mirror damper that needs lubricating...I would also be asking for a refund from the shop who informed you it had been repaired

It definitely needs the damper lubricating, I thought that's what it went in for tbh.
It'll only get worse, sooner or later the mirror won't be getting out of the way quick enough.

Yus, in person the other actuations have a less dramatic but obvious lisp, its not easy to tell in the vid till those last 3.
Shame really, I'm not interested in Canon gear generally but I like the feel of this camera, its quite....Nikon like.:LOL:

It definitely needs the damper lubricating, I thought that's what it went in for tbh.
It'll only get worse, sooner or later the mirror won't be getting out of the way quick enough.

they should have done it right the first time...its only a small job to do

Back