A3 Printing paper recommendation Landscape Photography images

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon Pixma Pro100s printer and I am looking to get some advise on printing paper for landscape images behind a glass/acyrlic frame, I understand that glossy would create glare behind a frame so not sure what to get for my images on A3 paper, as its very expensive I am trying to limit any bad buying decisions. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Why not get a sample pack? Places like Fotospeed and Permajet will sell you a box of samples that contain a few sheets from their range of glossy or semi-gloss papers. I got a box a few years ago and printed the same image on 6 different papers to help me understand the different looks of the papers, definitely helped inform my choices going forward.

To add to Andy's good advice, make a small collage to fit an A4 sheet (if that's the size the samples come in) because different finishes suit different subjects.

Just more echoing of Andy's advice really.

Papers are all different, and your level of what's acceptable is different. Sample packs are definitely the way forward. It's a pain, and it takes a while, and it costs sadly, but ultimately it will give you the best place to base your decision. Boxes of A3 paper aren't cheap, so getting it right is definitely worth the effort.

You don't need to order from these guys, but it lists them all in one place. To add to Fotospeed and Permajet, I'd throw Canson, Olmec, Innova and Ilford into the mix.

Some companies may do swatches for the cost of postage. You won't see what a print looks like on it, but you can feel the texture and see the level of sheen. Canson, Ilford, Permajet & Hahnemuhle all do them because I've got them. Might be worth a phone call.

Option 1. Buy top of the range museum glass and stick any paper behind it that you fancy. Glass is almost invisible.
Option 2. High quality matt paper, ideally OBA free, and personally at that size you probably want smooth for landscapes. Canons RagPhoto or Innova's most premium version will do.

Personally I'd do option 1 if quality is important. For colourful image you can go for Canson Baryta or even some fancy Olmec Metallic option (images that display lots of reflective surfaces)

For most prints these days I use Paper Spectrums Lustre - halfway between gloss and matte. Very happy with it. Other companies may call it Pearl.

I've found it's vital to match the right ICC profile to the paper. My best results by far have been with Canon Pro Platinum paper, Loxley Colour profile and Epson printer.

I always remove the glass from frames.

Link to the profile files below;

Not saying these would match your paper but worth a bit of experimentation.

I've tried around 8 different papers and for me the Canon is the most neutral and matches what I see on the screen.

Last edited:
I've just got rid of my printer and have an opened box of Fotospeed 270gsm PF satin with over 30 sheets going spare.
I want £10 for it plus carriage (you can collect if it suits).

I also have an unopened box of Epson traditional photo paper 330gsm, 25 sheet, Smooth & glossy surface. This is currently £86 at Wex. Will accept £40 plus carriage.

If you are interested let me know & I will post in the for sale section.

Paper is a whole world of fascination (and sometimes pain). A4 sample packs are a good way to go before making a decision - Innova have great stuff, PurelyPaper are very nice guys and very well-priced.

Museum glass will give best results by far but not cheap.

If you go for a matte paper, over-waxing by hand with Rennaisance Museum Wax gives a lovely painterly sheen which might suit some landscapes - I love using it and not having any glass at all, the photo becomes (gently) wipeable down....

PS Before printing, calibrate your monitor - if you don't want to invest in kit to do that, a work-aroudn which worked for me is to run a test print (with ICC profile set-up and screen in soft-proof mode) and then juggle setings until what you printed matches what you see on screen. Don't be shy about using very low brightness levels

Last edited:
Back