A4 Photo Printers

Name
April 2008
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone know whether it's possible to get a sample print before buying from anywhere? Tried PC World today, but they wouldn't do one. Only other options locally are Jessops or RGB and neither have the printer I am after. Am particularly after seeing what one of my images looks like when printed through a Canon Pixma iP4850 to see how it compares to a lab print from DSCL.

Last year Canon had an offer where they would create a print of an image you sent them, so you could see how prints came out from a specific printer before you bought it. It may be worth contacting them to see if this offer is still available.

I have the Epson Stylus Photo PX710W and it does a really good job of print, if thats any help

Realspeed

OPS you mean for a printer you want to buy silly me

:D

Yes, I am looking to buy as I'll have a need to do lots of printing over the next 6+ months. But I dont want to sacrifice quality hence really wanting to try before i buy.

I have the Epson Stylus Photo PX710W and it does a really good job of print, if thats any help

Realspeed

I'm surprised that you say that. I have had a PX700W for the last 18mths and I have found it so unreliable and expensive on ink that I have come on the forums today to try and find recommendations for a different all-in-one photo printer :shrug:

If you don't have any success with this, I can post you a recently printed photo on this printer and email/upload the original photo to you (or you email one to me and I send the pic back).

But whilst I'm more than happy with mine for what I want to use it for, I think if I had lots of prints to do I would carry on using an external print service. Their printers are better than mine and they're cheaper!

Had you thought about contacting Canon UK?

I'm sure canon have a service to get sample prints from different printers - check their website

If you are doing "lots" of printing - it may be cheaper to use a lab like photobox as the cost of inks/paper can be quite high - I use 7day for Canon inks and paper but their delivery times sometime leave something to be desired - so always have a spare set of inks.

The beauty of having your own printer is the immediate results - but that then tends to cost more as you "just change this little bit here"!

I'm surprised that you say that. I have had a PX700W for the last 18mths and I have found it so unreliable and expensive on ink that I have come on the forums today to try and find recommendations for a different all-in-one photo printer :shrug:

I'm with Realspeed on this one. I bought a PX710W about a month ago and love it for photo and general printing. I only use Epson papers and genuine inks at the moment but plan to install a CIS from my old R265.

My wife has been moaning about it today though. She makes greetings cards and has found that her favourite 220gsm canvas won't feed - appears that the surface is too smoothe for the rollers to grip it properly.

What troubles are you having?

use some scotch tape and put some normal paper on the canvas. make a custom size in photoshop and print. its how I do canvases on my R2400

My wife has been moaning about it today though. She makes greetings cards and has found that her favourite 220gsm canvas won't feed - appears that the surface is too smoothe for the rollers to grip it properly.

What troubles are you having?

If you don't have any success with this, I can post you a recently printed photo on this printer and email/upload the original photo to you (or you email one to me and I send the pic back)

Might take you up on that, I had no joy finding a sample print service via Canon website, though I believe it was something they offered in 2009.

I appreciate unit costs will be greater than using DSCL, but it's the fact that I can have 100% control and really tweak things to get the image I want, that's attracting me. And I am looking to build a portfolio over the coming months.

Back