Beginner A5000 / rx100 / Nikon 1 j5 ?

damianmkv

Uh oh, a fruit basket!
Edit My Images
Yes
My sister in law is going to California next week for 3 weeks and she wants a good camera to take with her

She has a budget of £300 and has been to Currys ( as its local and she has zero knowledge or experience of cameras ).

I have the rx100 m2 which is great and might suit ( mk1 version only due to budget ) as she has little hands but is either of the other 2 above a better option ? Or anything else ? She'll be doing all the touristy stuff so there will need to be the ability to zoom , maybe some low light stuff

TIA (y)

The RX100 is the only one that will handle any sort of low light as the other two will come with small-aperture kit lenses. Zoom will be equally limited on all three unless you add extra lenses to the A5000 or J5 and, given what you say about her knowledge of photography, I wouldn't got there. So the RX100 it is.

As a curve-ball, what about a reconditioned X30 from Fujifilm? They're in stock here at £219 but I'm told code P258BTCC467 (or the old one of PAYPAL12) will knock it down further.

Thanks - i thought about the x30 but don't know if it will arrive in time. I was thinking about being kind and lending her my spare batteries for the rx100 if she gets one

If it was for me or my girlfriend the A5000, if you need a more touristy camera definitely the RX100 though, much more convenient...

Back