Beginner A6300 Lens choice

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all I am new here and to the photography scene and I am looking for some help in choosing a lens for the Sony A6300.
The purpose of the lens would be:
  1. 4k video recording
  2. Multi purpose shots far and wide shots
  3. low light would be nice
The lens offered with the camera at a discount http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1022364-REG/sony_sel55210b_e_55_210mm_f_4_5_6_3_oss.html which is a pretty good deal 150 dollars off with the camera.
Is it worth getting it to start off with or purchasing a more expensive lens?
Thank in advance

55-210 is good all around lens to bring it with you everywhere.As you say , you have to buy another for low light like 85mm 1,4 .
Unfortunatly this lens is expensive, you also can buy 50 mm 1.8.For wide angle just avoid kit 16 to 50 .Better choose 18-105.it is milion times better.

The purpose of the lens would be:
  1. 4k video recording
  2. Multi purpose shots far and wide shots
  3. low light would be nice
Hello Temujin and welcome to Talk Photography.

Video recording, even 4k, is not demanding in terms of resolution, so you don't need an especially high quality lens there. However there are two features which might be worth looking at if you're serious about video.

The first is focus breathing. This means that the lens effectively zooms as it focuses. If you want to do one of those shots where you switch the focus from the foreground to the background, you want a lens which doesn't breathe, or at least doesn't breathe too much.

The second is smooth manual focus. On some lenses, it's very difficult to make small adjustments to the focus smoothly because the focus ring is a bit sticky.

Unfortunately neither of these features is apparent from the specifications. You have to ask people who have actually used a specific lens.

"Multi purpose far and wide shots" implies a big zoom range, such as 18-200mm or 28-300mm. Unfortunately these lenses tend to be at the budget end of the scale and are probably more like to suffer from the defects I mentioned above.

Low light requires a fast aperture, or in other words a low f/ number. These lenses tend to be expensive and tend to have small zoom ranges. For example professional f/2.8 zooms usually only have a zoom range of at best about 3x, such as 24-70mm or 70-200mm, whereas slower lenses (higher f/ number) can be 10x, 15x, or even more.

So your three requirements will be difficult to meet. Time to start thinking about what's *really* important to you...

Last edited:
Back