A6300 - possibly a stupid question...

Edit My Images
Yes
If anyone out there is a fellow a6300 user, I'd be grateful for your thoughts!

My question is this: Does the a6300 limit you to only JPEGs when taking long exposures?

As I type that seems a daft question, but I've not been able to find anything on t'interwebs either way. The reason I ask is that whilst I was away on holiday, I took the opportunity to try some Milky Way shots, with somewhat mixed success. However, one of the things I've subsequently noticed having got home and imported them is that not one of my night images is in RAW format. My initial thought was that I must've fat-fingered a setting as I stumbled around half-asleep at 2am, but given that everything I shot in daylight has recorded in both RAW & JPEG I can't imagine that's right. Is there some obscure setting somewhere in the menu system I can't find? Does my 2am alter-ego secretly hate RAW files? Or is this normal when shooting long exposures in manual mode?

Thank in advance for any ideas!

K.

Ok, so breaking forum etiquette and replying to myself. I just tried taking a random shot with all of the same settings, seems that it worked this time. The only difference is that last time I was using my phone as a remote. Perhaps another experiment in order just to check that final variable.

Otherwise, it shall remain forever a mystery...

Ok, so breaking forum etiquette and replying to myself. I just tried taking a random shot with all of the same settings, seems that it worked this time. The only difference is that last time I was using my phone as a remote. Perhaps another experiment in order just to check that final variable.

Otherwise, it shall remain forever a mystery...

Did you transfer the image straight to your phone via the remote? If you did, it only transfers the jpeg but you should be able to set the camera to still store the image on the memory card too so it will retain the RAW.

Yeah, that was happening whilst I was using it but I've subsequently transferred them onto my laptop and there's definitely no RAW image, having looked at the images on the camera itself, its only showing JPEG rather than RAW+JPEG as well. Increasingly I'm thinking its an artifact of using the app as a remote...

Back