Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Sony A7 III + 70-200mm f/2.8 G Master

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters
Name
Ant
Edit My Images
No
So after 18m of heavy, heavy use I've killed my A6000 for the second time in 4 months. While I'm awaiting John Lewis to sort it out (not going well currently) I'm thinking of bringing my planned upgrade forward from next Spring/Summer to sometime much sooner. I do pretty much all types of photography, with hardly ever any video at all. I do action, sports, wildlife, some landscape and lots of pet portraits along with wanting to get more into people portraits too.

I'm 90% set on going with Sony FF and like both the A7 III and A9. I'm pretty much decided on the first lens I intend to buy being a quality 70-200mm which will be quite adaptable to most things I shoot. I will continue to use classic primes from Pentax and Zeiss etc which mean I wouldn't need any primes right away.

The A7 III + f/2.8 G Master comes in at £3428
The A9 + f/4 G Lens comes in at £3368

My budget was £3k +/- so both a little over but not by much. People always say buy the best glass you can, but this is about as far as I am comfortable with moneywise and the stacked sensor, better EVF, buffer etc etc make me lean towards the A9.

Any thoughts people?

Very hard choice, in the end I voted the Sony A9 route..... for fast moving subjects / tracking it is the king :D

Very hard choice, in the end I voted the Sony A9 route..... for fast moving subjects / tracking it is the king :D

Hi Riz, I notice in your sig that you own both cameras. Would you say there are things the A7 III is better at than the A9? Dynamic range, low light etc?

:plus1:

Always go for better glass over body especially when they are so close in tracking capability.

Yes, it would normally be my thinking, it's just with the A9 dropping in price it's got me tempted. I do have a slight concern as I use a lot of vintage manual focus lenses with focus peaking and I've read a few times that the EVF is quite a bit better on the A9.

Yes, it would normally be my thinking, it's just with the A9 dropping in price it's got me tempted. I do have a slight concern as I use a lot of vintage manual focus lenses with focus peaking and I've read a few times that the EVF is quite a bit better on the A9.
It's better but you'll do just fine with A7III. People have enjoyed using vintage glass on mirrorless for years on worst EVFs ;)

It's better but you'll do just fine with A7III. People have enjoyed using vintage glass on mirrorless for years on worst EVFs ;)

Of course, I've been using them on my A6000 ;)

I recently got an A7iii and 70-200 2.8. Work very well together.

I recently got an A7iii and 70-200 2.8. Work very well together.

How exciting, I think this is the way I'm leaning, grrrr hate big decisions (well it's big for me :))

How exciting, I think this is the way I'm leaning, grrrr hate big decisions (well it's big for me :))

Im not going to lie - I would have liked a better EVF, but after getting used to the A7iii one I don't think its anything major. The 70-200 2.8 is a superb bit of kit - works really well indoors/low light action.

The 70-200mm GM is a beast and definitely better than 70-200mm f4. It's the best 70-200mm lens I have used.

There is a new Nikon and canon I don't know how they compare.

Im not going to lie - I would have liked a better EVF, but after getting used to the A7iii one I don't think its anything major. The 70-200 2.8 is a superb bit of kit - works really well indoors/low light action.

Damn, did you have to mention the EVF ;). I've wanted a good 70-200 for a long time, I feel I may have buyers remorse if I went down the F4 route.

You can buy an A9 and a 70-200 for under £4300 I would wait until you have the budget for what you seem to really want.

I'm not sure it is what I want (A9) hence trying gauge experience from others that may have used one or both. Maybe the 'all around' nature of the A7 III will suit my varied photography better?

I'm not sure it is what I want (A9) hence trying gauge experience from others that may have used one or both. Maybe the 'all around' nature of the A7 III will suit my varied photography better?

The A9 will be better for sports and possibly wildlife. It has less dynamic range though than the A7III so won't be as good for landscapes. Depends on what is more important to you I guess. I would expect the A9 to drop again price wise before too long.

Hi Riz, I notice in your sig that you own both cameras. Would you say there are things the A7 III is better at than the A9? Dynamic range, low light etc?

Yes, both bodies have their positive and negatives. If you want the better AF tracking, fps, buffer, EVF etc then the Sony A9 is the best.

The Sony A7 III has the better ISO / DR but I wouldn’t call it leaps ahead of the Sony A9, for sports / action the A9 mid-ISO performance is good enough and you can shoot at 15 fps and 100% silently, no EVF blackout using the FE 70-200mm f4 G.

The FE 70-200mm f4 G is a great lens if you can live with f4.
Granted it’s not f2.8 but that’s why it’s over £1000 less in price.

Yes, both bodies have their positive and negatives. If you want the better AF tracking, fps, buffer, EVF etc then the Sony A9 is the best.

The Sony A7 III has the better ISO / DR but I wouldn’t call it leaps ahead of the Sony A9, for sports / action the A9 mid-ISO performance is good enough and you can shoot at 15 fps and 100% silently, no EVF blackout using the FE 70-200mm f4 G.

The FE 70-200mm f4 G is a great lens if you can live with f4.
Granted it’s not f2.8 but that’s why it’s over £1000 less in price.

Thanks Riz, I appreciate the reply especially with you owning both bodies.

I use my A7iii for Equestrian both indoor and out and the AF system has been flawless. It does not need to be better for what I do so I don’t have any regrets. No idea how much better the A9 is, but as of yet the A7iii has not mis focussed or failed to track anything so far.

10fps is still too much for me. Sweet spot has been 8fps which works with hardly any blackout.

Oh but I needed 2.8 so the f4 wasn’t even a consideration.

I use my A7iii for Equestrian both indoor and out and the AF system has been flawless. It does not need to be better for what I do so I don’t have any regrets. No idea how much better the A9 is, but as of yet the A7iii has not mis focussed or failed to track anything so far.

10fps is still too much for me. Sweet spot has been 8fps which works with hardly any blackout.

Oh but I needed 2.8 so the f4 wasn’t even a consideration.

Thanks great to hear. I do lots of dog photography, both portraits and action/jumping etc. I did a powerboat racing shoot and would like to do more of that, and we are supposed to be going to some motorsport events. No doubt they both have great AF and AF tracking, I almost wish one was rubbish and one brilliant, would make choosing easier haha. Thanks again for your input everyone.

You save your money for A9m2 it'll have eyeAF for dogs :D

Haha, yeah I saw that at Photokina haha, hopefully they add via firmware (stupid me, this isn't fujifilm ;))

Normally I'd me a snide comment about Fuji's AF at this point but they have really done well with XT3.

Yes they sure have, lovely camera and I guess the X-H2 will be the same but with IBIS in larger body.

I have the A7RIII and A9, High res sensor aside, there are big difference between the A7 and A9, the A9 is in a whole other level, not just its 20fps speed but speed overall, turning on, going through menus, it is FAST! and then there is the AF, it really is another level over pretty much anything, its also slightly larger than the A7's and feels slighty better put together.

SO, if the choice is in which body and you need speed, then the A9 is the one. I would go as far to say the A9 is one of the best cameras you can buy today. (im coming from Nikon D850 \ D5)

But also, Glass is more important than the body, i have the 2.8 70\200 and its a cracker (as are pretty much all sony lenses) So if it were me, id probably pay the extra and get A9 \ 70-200 2.8, or just the lens and upgrade the body later if you feel you need too.

(Edit - i need to change my avatar and sig!)

I concur with the a7 iii argument.

Seems like the perfect all-rounder and the difference in the two camera's abilities is negligible compared to the quality the better lens will give you.

Not that I have either, mind - but my mentality has been to build my system around my lenses rather than the other way. That lens will last you numerous bodies and will probably only get more expensive over time - the same can't be said for the camera as new tech ages these modern machines rather quickly!

Back