A7 still worth it?

Name
Jordan
Edit My Images
No
I am new to cameras and have been made an offer to swap something for a A7 first gen with a 28-70mm lens, I was wondering what the estimated cost of those 2 paired together would be? and if it is good for a starter, many thanks :)

I am new to cameras and have been made an offer to swap something for a A7 first gen with a 28-70mm lens, I was wondering what the estimated cost of those 2 paired together would be? and if it is good for a starter, many thanks :)

Hi and welcome Jordan :D

I'm not too sure of the price but maybe around the £500 to £600 sort of range?

I have this combination and yes, I think it's a good combination for the money but be aware that the focus tracking isn't good by todays standards but the combination will be good for scenic shots, static and posed people shots and also for relatively slow moving things. More demanding things like birds in flight or even fast moving people could be much more of a challenge. The camera doesn't have eye detect but does have face detect which I find good enough for me.

Also, as this is a mirrorless camera with good manual focusing aids you can buy old manual focus film era lenses and use them with cheap adapters. This can be addictive :D

I hope that helps.

The A7 is pretty dated now, and most will advise looking for a 3rd generation (or possibly 2nd generation) model. It’s not a bad camera but you can get a much better camera for not a huge amount more that would feature in body image stabilisation, a better sensor and better ergonomics for example.

The A7 is pretty dated now, and most will advise looking for a 3rd generation (or possibly 2nd generation) model. It’s not a bad camera but you can get a much better camera for not a huge amount more that would feature in body image stabilisation, a better sensor and better ergonomics for example.
As I will be only using it for stand still images do you think it is still a good camera? Since I will only use it for that and maybe landscapes.

The MKII AFAIK had the same sensor so you'll be looking at the MKIII for a newer one and something like twice the price and of course it's the MKI that the op has been offered in the swap.

Hi and welcome Jordan :D

I'm not too sure of the price but maybe around the £500 to £600 sort of range?

I have this combination and yes, I think it's a good combination for the money but be aware that the focus tracking isn't good by todays standards but the combination will be good for scenic shots, static and posed people shots and also for relatively slow moving things. More demanding things like birds in flight or even fast moving people could be much more of a challenge. The camera doesn't have eye detect but does have face detect which I find good enough for me.

Also, as this is a mirrorless camera with good manual focusing aids you can buy old manual focus film era lenses and use them with cheap adapters. This can be addictive :D

I hope that helps.

Thats great, I might just pick it up then as I will only use it for static images, do you have any images taken with the camera that you can share with me to persuade me? :)

As I will be only using it for stand still images do you think it is still a good camera? Since I will only use it for that and maybe landscapes.

The camera is fine for landscape and static stuff and even slow moving stuff, for example people shots using face detect. I've posted about a million A7 pictures in the Sony thread. If you have a free 6 months you can wade through them :D

Thats great, I might just pick it up then as I will only use it for static images, do you have any images taken with the camera that you can share with me to persuade me? :)

Took this the last time I took the camera out with a 35mm lens at f2.8.

6bQRkEJ.jpg

This is a mono conversion I posted yesterday but took some time ago, again with a 35mm but this time at f1.4.

YEoC2iq.jpg

Last edited:
The MKII AFAIK had the same sensor so you'll be looking at the MKIII for a newer one and something like twice the price and of course it's the MKI that the op has been offered in the swap.
The sensor might be the same but the A7II is a much better camera with image stabilisation and a better af. It’s also a better build. Of course you’re right about what’s been offered but the OP could maybe sell whatever the other party wants and buy a much better camera.

The sensor might be the same but the A7II is a much better camera with image stabilisation and a better af. It’s also a better build. Of course you’re right about what’s been offered but the OP could maybe sell whatever the other party wants and buy a much better camera.

Well yes, of course but with "better" we often get bigger, probably heavier and also when do we stop spending the OP's money.

Bare in mind the camera comes with the additional lens so the value is more than what i am selling by a few hundred because of that

Took this the last time I took the camera out with a 35mm lens at f2.8.

6bQRkEJ.jpg

This is a mono conversion I posted yesterday but took some time ago, again with a 35mm but this time at f1.4.

YEoC2iq.jpg
They look awesome!

Bare in mind the camera comes with the additional lens so the value is more than what i am selling by a few hundred because of that

I think the lenses can often be found for around £100 or so.

They look awesome!

Well there's a challenge for you if you get the kit... come back and post your pictures in the Sony thread and make mine look even more average :D

If you go for the kit and keep it rather than sell it on, good luck with it and don't forget to come back and post some pictures.

Since what I am selling would fetch me £400 ish I might just get it, see if I enjoy photography and then when I want to upgrade, sell and upgrade :)

Since what I am selling would fetch me £400 ish I might just get it, see if I enjoy photography and then when I want to upgrade, sell and upgrade :)

I think you'd get £400 plus for this easy.

It's a very capable camera - equally very good at taking great and bad photos in 2022 :) I guess it depends on how you use it. I wouldn't worry about it being dated, but, perhaps do some more research in terms of price to make sure you're getting a good deal money wise

Had an A7 for several years only for use with manual focus lenses.

Bought it for 450 sold it for the same.

I liked it - nice small form factor - good output.

Body is about 400 now cf A7ii at £600.

Yes the A7ii has better AF and IBIS but there are always “better” cameras as you climb the greasy pole to the heights if the A1.

I think the A7 is looking a bit of a bargain - if you actually want/need FF and not too demanding AF needs like no fast action.

If you do need fast AF-C, in a Sony FF, I would skip the A7ii and go for the A7iii but its exoensive used

You can check prices yourself from ebay sold listings and places like mpb.

Current pice range £400-£520 body only, £549 with kit lens:

Back