AA batteries

From experience I would say that the Fujicell 2700mah batteries that I have last a lot longer than other high powered rechargable batteries that I have used, and they tend to recycle the flash unit in good time too.

Jym

I stopped using rechargables a while ago as they discharge
over a short time without use, now I use energizer ultimate
and they last a age.

:agree: If you use a flashgun many times in a single shoot then rechargeable batteries will have the advantage. However, if you do a few shots and then put the flashgun away and pick it up again a week or two later, then the batteries will probably have discharged themselves. I tend to buy Duracell AAs and always keep plenty of them in my bag and they are cheap these days, especially if you buy the multipacks from the supermarkets. I did a shoot at a party last year and took over 150 shots (all with flash) without having to change the batteries.

However, if you do a few shots and then put the flashgun away and pick it up again a week or two later, then the batteries will probably have discharged themselves.
Which is why several people on this thread have recommended LSD NiMH cells that do not suffer from that effect. Allegedly they will hold 85% of their charge after one year. I have not tested this! But they do stay charged for a very long time....
I tend to buy Duracell AAs and always keep plenty of them in my bag and they are cheap these days, especially if you buy the multipacks from the supermarkets. I did a shoot at a party last year and took over 150 shots (all with flash) without having to change the batteries.
My friend the earth would disagree. If only we had battery recycling in shops (as they do in Germany) it would reduce the toxic heavy metals leeching into the ground when they are 'thrown away'.

Which is why several people on this thread have recommended LSD NiMH cells that do not suffer from that effect. Allegedly they will hold 85% of their charge after one year. I have not tested this! But they do stay charged for a very long time....

But those chargers are very pricey

My friend the earth would disagree. If only we had battery recycling in shops (as they do in Germany) it would reduce the toxic heavy metals leeching into the ground when they are 'thrown away'.

But there are places you can recycle batteries. Where I used to work there were battery recycling bins in the foyer and by each lift. I haven't gotten around to finding anywhere else yet and they are all sitting in a plastic bag waiting at the moment.

But those chargers are very pricey
You don't need a proper -dV charger for low self discharge cells. But I guess the cheap fast chargers will cook them just as effectively as they do regular rechargeables!
But there are places you can recycle batteries. Where I used to work there were battery recycling bins in the foyer and by each lift. I haven't gotten around to finding anywhere else yet and they are all sitting in a plastic bag waiting at the moment.
Well indeed. I understand that in Germany it is illegal to dispose of batteries in any way other than by recycling that is encouraged.

I use Energizer rechargables, 2000mAh, and I've never flattened them in either my Vivi flashgun, or my Oly one beofre I got rid. I've had one set of them for ages (2 years+) and they're still going strong.

EDIT: Fabs, not sure aboput where you are, but down here you can take batteries to the dump and they have recycling boxes for them there.

You don't need a proper -dV charger for low self discharge cells. But I guess the cheap fast chargers will cook them just as effectively as they do regular rechargeables!

Well indeed. I understand that in Germany it is illegal to dispose of batteries in any way other than by recycling that is encouraged.

Problem here is that they just play lip service to recycling. Councils go on about it but only set up recycling for some things and not others.

rechargeable AA's are so cheap nowadays, I would have thought any would do...

Problem here is that they just play lip service to recycling. Councils go on about it but only set up recycling for some things and not others.
That was my point to your answer about buying cheap Duracell AA's rather than rechargables. :(

And my point was that I do recycle them. ;)
You might. But this thread is asking for advice on 'investing' in a chargers and batteries.

Yours was buy cheap Duracell AA's from a supermarket and keep lots of them in your camera bag.....:thumbsdown:

You might. But this thread is asking for advice on 'investing' in a chargers and batteries.

Yours was buy cheap Duracell AA's from a supermarket and keep lots of them in your camera bag.....:thumbsdown:

No, I said that's what I do and that I recycle the used ones. Why do you want to make an argument out of this? :shrug:

So far no one has mentioned the Ansmann chargers. I use a Digispeed 4 which has served me well for some time. As to batteries; most of the named brands do a pretty good job - I have mainly Ansmann 2700s with some similar Uniross in the bag.

Anthony.

:agree: If you use a flashgun many times in a single shoot then rechargeable batteries will have the advantage. However, if you do a few shots and then put the flashgun away and pick it up again a week or two later, then the batteries will probably have discharged themselves. I tend to buy Duracell AAs and always keep plenty of them in my bag and they are cheap these days, especially if you buy the multipacks from the supermarkets. I did a shoot at a party last year and took over 150 shots (all with flash) without having to change the batteries.

Fabs you might be interested in the offer Photoglossy have on at the moment - 24 Kodak alkaline for £3.99 delivered. I don't know how that compares to the Supermarket prices where you are but it sure beats the prices around where I am.

Photoglossy : http://www.photoglossy.com/prodpage.asp?type=prod&sub=BATKOD

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Expanxe_Batteries-Chargers_W0QQfsubZ8665914QQfrsrcZ1

These are alkaline rechargeable batteries, therefore the don't loose their charge if not being used, unlike Nicam rechargable batteries.
Also they are like any other alkaline battery - really only good for low drain devices. Bedside clocks, TV controllers, wireless keyboards and the like.

Careful what you charge them in too. Using the most common 'fast timer controlled' chargers could be dangerous - but if you can set the charging rate on your charger (like I can) to @375mA is fine. Or buy their charger too!

Can't see much point in not using LSD NiMH's though. There is not much cost saving over RAM's.

Back