Abandone convent (with selective colour)

crusher

Greengrass
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
I'm not a huge fan of SC but I do like what you have done here. I think because the brolly looks aged and isn't simply popped there as a prop, it all seems to work very well.

Ian

I do like SC but I'm afraid I prefer it when it is in context, e.g. B&W street scene with woman holding SC umbrella - I don't see context here so I'm not keen, it detracts from the interest of the B&W in this instance IMO.

I can see what you were going for here and like your thought process, just as gramps suggested it doesn't have any context, doesn't tell a story or draw the eye in towards a subject.
The dark, moody and derelict convent scene seems to clash with the bright and cheery umbrella, and although in some cases they can create an intersting contrast or contradiction, in this case it doesn't quite work.

Selective colour is a little bit like extreme HDR, it can create a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths! Perhaps mute the colours slightly so you're getting the colour across but it doesn't look so brazen. Here's one I've done where a lot of the feedback has been "I don't like selective colour however this one is ok". That's not to say it's the benchmark (far from it!) but it's often a little easier on the eye.

Day Dreamer by Digital.Clarity, on Flickr

Furthermore I think slightly muted colours would enhance the mood of the old building that you're trying to convey.

Could I suggest you find a way of rigging the umbrella on fishing wire over the rafters (this might be further than you'd be willing to go!) so it sits right in the centre of the frame in the distance. Then you've created the context and the abstract visual image of the colourful umbrella with it's simple design and clean lines trying to float up and escape the dark chaotic mess.

Just suggestions, please ignore if I'm talking rubbish!

Good luck,
Dave

I love the contrast between an old convent in ruin and the faded colours on the brolly :clap:

10/10 for effort

Les :D

I love the contrast between an old convent in ruin and the faded colours on the brolly :clap:

10/10 for effort

Les :D

Thanks Les........glad you like it.

I'm not a huge fan of SC but I do like what you have done here. I think because the brolly looks aged and isn't simply popped there as a prop, it all seems to work very well.

Ian

Thanks Ian.......nice of you to comment.

I do like SC but I'm afraid I prefer it when it is in context, e.g. B&W street scene with woman holding SC umbrella - I don't see context here so I'm not keen, it detracts from the interest of the B&W in this instance IMO.

Thanks Gramps for taking the trouble to comment......I didn't expect it to be liked by everyone, and I can see why you wouldn't be keen. The original colour and B&W versions are on my Flikr if you're interested.

I can see what you were going for here and like your thought process, just as gramps suggested it doesn't have any context, doesn't tell a story or draw the eye in towards a subject.
The dark, moody and derelict convent scene seems to clash with the bright and cheery umbrella, and although in some cases they can create an intersting contrast or contradiction, in this case it doesn't quite work.

Selective colour is a little bit like extreme HDR, it can create a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths! Perhaps mute the colours slightly so you're getting the colour across but it doesn't look so brazen. Here's one I've done where a lot of the feedback has been "I don't like selective colour however this one is ok". That's not to say it's the benchmark (far from it!) but it's often a little easier on the eye.

Furthermore I think slightly muted colours would enhance the mood of the old building that you're trying to convey.

Could I suggest you find a way of rigging the umbrella on fishing wire over the rafters (this might be further than you'd be willing to go!) so it sits right in the centre of the frame in the distance. Then you've created the context and the abstract visual image of the colourful umbrella with it's simple design and clean lines trying to float up and escape the dark chaotic mess.

Just suggestions, please ignore if I'm talking rubbish!

Good luck,
Dave

Dave.....thanks for your comprehensive comment (and a great shot to illustrate your thinking. Not everyone's cup of tea:) Unfortunately I won't be able to try your idea of rigging the umbrella up to the rafters as I doubt I'll be visiting this particular place again. It's a bit dangerous inside and we had a helluva time getting in there as well.

I think it's a great image and the s/c is just right

Thanks Jon.......seems to be a bit of a "marmite" shot, which is pretty much what I expected.

I'm a fan of selective colour and love the shot, but just feel the colour is a tad bright. Personally i would just lower the opacity a bit.

I'd be interested to see the whole image hdr'd in colour too!

I'm a fan of selective colour and love the shot, but just feel the colour is a tad bright. Personally i would just lower the opacity a bit.

I'd be interested to see the whole image hdr'd in colour too!

Thanks..........I did originally have the colour turned down a bit, but didn't really like it - but thanks for taking the trouble to comment. Check out my Flikr in my sig for the colour HDR version.

I love it! and like previously mentioned - the fact that you found it there and that it wasn't a prop makes the photo for me :)
Thank you for commenting...........glad you like it :)

Back