Abandoned Cottage - Scottish Highlands

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this but couldn't see any other one suitable.

I stumbled upon this abandoned cottage in the Black Isle a few months back and decided to go back to take a few shots.

Its an amazing place that remains untouched since the mid 70's. Clothes, paperwork, furniture etc all still there.

I quite liked the spooky mood in this one.

Farmers Weekly - Revisited by Michael~Ashley, on Flickr

Where is this place?? I would love to spend the day there with DSLR in hand!!!

Love this shot, simple but powerful, really like the light, composition and subtle colours. Also Love some of your other shots on the Flikr page

Thanks for all your comments guys.

The photo's geotagged on flickr for anyone that wants the location.

A friend enjoys writing short stories and was looking for some inspiration. He used an old shot I had of this location to come up with an idea for a story and I agreed to go back to take a few more for him as I wasn't too happy with my first efforts.

The idea is he'll use my shots as a story board to go with the text.

Last edited:
Nice shot, but I would like it a bit brighter, but it's nice as is

Holy mother of God that is amazing.

It looks like something out of Heavy Rain. Really great shot, love it.

Nice shot, but I would like it a bit brighter, but it's nice as is.

Thanks - i did try upping the shadows a bit but found I was happiest with this level of light.

Holy mother of God that is amazing.

Cheers mate - nice of you.

I do really like this shot - it is well exposed and well executed.

But - it doesn't really say 'abandoned cottage' - there is no context or story within this single shot. This isn't a criticism of the shot itself but with a title like that I felt let down there wasn't more to tell the whole story. I wouldn't have shot this differently but I think this thread would have benefited from further shots that then gave more story and meat on the bones of that title. I hope this makes sense!

I used to live on the Black Isle, miss it!

I have to agree that it doesn't really say "abandoned cottage" to me, but still it is a very evocative image.

I like it.

I do really like this shot - it is well exposed and well executed.

But - it doesn't really say 'abandoned cottage' - there is no context or story within this single shot. This isn't a criticism of the shot itself but with a title like that I felt let down there wasn't more to tell the whole story. I wouldn't have shot this differently but I think this thread would have benefited from further shots that then gave more story and meat on the bones of that title. I hope this makes sense!

I used to live on the Black Isle, miss it!

I have to agree that it doesn't really say "abandoned cottage" to me, but still it is a very evocative image.

Thanks guys, to be honest I hadn't given the title much thought and was hoping for critique or feedback on the photo not the thread name.

For the purposes of my mates story (mentioned above) the shot is called "Farmers Weekly" - thanks again for you input. (y)

Really like that a lot Michael.
Well spotted, nicely lit (despite it being a dark image you've not lost the dark chair in the background) and very atmospheric.

It certainly looks like it has a story to tell.
Did you arrange any of the items in this shot or are they just how you found them?

Not sure that I'd necessarily want to change anything, but I wonder how it would have looked with just a bit more space above the chair and if that would have been an improvement.
I can't quite decide whether it may have made a more pleasing composition or whether you'd just lose the intimate feel by going a bit wider :thinking:

Really like that a lot Michael.
Well spotted, nicely lit (despite it being a dark image you've not lost the dark chair in the background) and very atmospheric.

It certainly looks like it has a story to tell.
Did you arrange any of the items in this shot or are they just how you found them?

Not sure that I'd necessarily want to change anything, but I wonder how it would have looked with just a bit more space above the chair and if that would have been an improvement.
I can't quite decide whether it may have made a more pleasing composition or whether you'd just lose the intimate feel by going a bit wider :thinking:

Hi Sarah - thanks for your comments.

Yeah, i have to admit I pulled the table over to the chair by the window to make use of the light.

Re the framing - just above the chair is the window that I used for the light source. Any wider and I would have either had to compromise on the POV and angle of light or include the window. Re the intimacy of the shot, I hadn't really thought about that but its a good point.

The wallpaper was a bit "busy" too - hense the decision to work with a shallow DOF and blur it out a bit. I had a shot with a higher F stop but thought the pattern of the paper was distracting from the focal point.

Last edited:
frozen in time and with some aura of anticipation

any other shots of the 'cottage'

cheers
geof

Back