Abandoned graveyards

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Have been asked by a friend in Nottingham if I knew of any abandoned or disused graveyards in primarily the East Midlands but even a wider area along the East and North East coast.

Never been asked that before. His idea is a photo study he wants to do.

He did a lot of wasteland and changing industrial landscapes in the 1980s but this is quite different.

I haven't a clue TBH - although I get around the country with my work it is not something I have ever registered.

Thanks if anyone can help

H

Have been asked by a friend in Nottingham if I knew of any abandoned or disused graveyards in primarily the East Midlands but even a wider area along the East and North East coast.

Never been asked that before. His idea is a photo study he wants to do.

He did a lot of wasteland and changing industrial landscapes in the 1980s but this is quite different.

I haven't a clue TBH - although I get around the country with my work it is not something I have ever registered.

Thanks if anyone can help

H

What does he want to do with it, I have a location in mind that sounds like what he needs, but what type of photo's would he be wanted in do?

Matt

Matt

Thanks for responding.

Just rang him to clarify.

He is thinking of mood scenes in changing seasons and changeable weather.

Natural light and some portable lights used too

No people.

He is happy to ask for permission when needed etc. He is looking for numerous locations.

His definition of abandoned is where there are toppled stones no maintenance and disused is where the graveyard is full but is maintained so the headstones are old but will be looked after.

Hope that helps

Cheers

H

Okay I think I have a good location for him

st p wolf col by mwhcvt, on Flickr

as you can see it's rather overgrown, it's a bit of pain to get to as it involves a driver down a rough track but it's worth the drive :D

It's know as St. Peter's at Wolfhampcote and it's on the Warwickshire/Northampton Border, you travel in of the Daventry road from Braunston so but there is no postcode for this location

[MAP]maps?q=Wolfhampcote&hl=en&ll=52.283474,-1.224702&spn=0.000929,0.002642&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=7.515704,21.643066&oq=Wolfhamp&t=h&hnear=Wolfhampcote,+Warwickshire,+United+Kingdom&z=19[/MAP]

East Midlands - there is one on Stanton Road,Ilkeston,Derbyshire.

I am sure can be found on Google maps.

Okay I think I have a good location for him

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/5875354708/
st p wolf col by mwhcvt, on Flickr

as you can see it's rather overgrown, it's a bit of pain to get to as it involves a driver down a rough track but it's worth the drive :D

It's know as St. Peter's at Wolfhampcote and it's on the Warwickshire/Northampton Border, you travel in of the Daventry road from Braunston so but there is no postcode for this location

[MAP]maps?q=Wolfhampcote&hl=en&ll=52.283474,-1.224702&spn=0.000929,0.002642&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=7.515704,21.643066&oq=Wolfhamp&t=h&hnear=Wolfhampcote,+Warwickshire,+United+Kingdom&z=19[/MAP]

Sorry for delay been busy working

Fantastic site from view. Sure my friend will be pleased.

Many thanks

H

East Midlands - there is one on Stanton Road,Ilkeston,Derbyshire.

I am sure can be found on Google maps.

Many thanks for suggestion.

My friend will be pleased and he does not live too far to make the journey.

What a great resource this forum is

H

Annnesley hall , near junction 27 of the M1

It's got the lot , disused hall, woodland and graveyard, it's been on "most haunted" before.

graveyard near boston castle in rotherham is full and has loads of really old toppled headstones.

it is however still in use and is council ran. closes at 5pm... its got a chapel in there but its not open and been subjected to vandalism (but no graffiti!)

First - apologies for delay in getting back on here and to say thank you to everyone for ideas.

I have been very busy workwise and still trying to get over a broken leg.

My friend sends his thanks and he has convinced me to join him for a few days early in March to go visiting the suggestions and perhaps for a wander along the North East coast too.

Cheers again

H

The term "Abandoned Graveyard" always makes me think the residents have got up and wandered off... :runaway:

The term "Abandoned Graveyard" always makes me think the residents have got up and wandered off... :runaway:

I know where you are comibg from!!!!!

There are a few that are in need of a tidy up and on a visit to Co Donegal some years back I found a run down cemetery - wandered in and saw fresh flowers on the gave of someone who had died in 1933! Quite a shock! No camera that day.

H

Back