Abandoned slate mine

Name
Rory
Edit My Images
Yes
These were taken at Cwmorthin and Rhosydd, North wales.

3225471659_c1a72e5c18_o.jpg

3226363654_a7e5f0a545_o.jpg

3225562075_7492e80ac2_o.jpg

I quite like what the shots document, it looks like one of those old towns you see in the American West that were abandoned when rains failed and crops didn't grow, places like that. The images could be sharper and clearer. The last image in my opinion is the best of the three, though I'm not sure why... I think it might be something to do with the water in the foreground and the old houses on the shore line.

"The images could be sharper and clearer"

They were all taken off a tripod with a full frame camera with L glass. The shutter was selected to 2 second self timer. I guess having to view them on line does not help.

Check the exif.

Thanks for the comment.

Last edited:
Like the first one a lot - lovely colours. The only time I've been to the Rhosydd quarry was after climbing Cnicht during a heavy blizzard. We took shelter in a corner of the ruined block on the left before finding the 'path' down into Cwm Croesor. Oh happy days...

I keep flip flopping between the first and third image - I'm gonna go check where that is now on google earth, it looks an interesting place

Ha Cymorthin the most over photgraphed location in North Wales comes up far to often in camera club comps,sorry does not do a thing for me

Tid Tug

Much prefer the second bunch of shots and agree with KayJay on the first two.

Which quarry was the third one taken in - the one with the cottage and trees by the lake, and how do you get to it?

Which quarry was the third one taken in - the one with the cottage and trees by the lake, and how do you get to it?

Ha Cymorthin the most over photgraphed location in North Wales comes up far to often in camera club comps,sorry does not do a thing for me

Tid Tug

Ask Tid Tug....He seems to know the location quite well;)

Seriously, it's at a place called Cwmorthin near Blaenau Ffestiniog

Last edited:
I like the second set too. 1 and 4 for me.

And by the way, it's a chapel, not a cottage...

Despite what Tid Tug says, It's a great location.

I looks a fantastic location, So I'll have to go there in the next few weeks to see it for myself, now that I have now found it on the map.

Well its the first time I've seen shots of this location and I spend a fair amount of time on different photography forums. Even if it is photographed a lot it doesn't mean the images are any the worse for that.
My favourite has to be the first one in your second set. I love the use of mono as it really enhances the texture of the old ruin. :)

Well its the first time I've seen shots of this location and I spend a fair amount of time on different photography forums. Even if it is photographed a lot it doesn't mean the images are any the worse for that.
My favourite has to be the first one in your second set. I love the use of mono as it really enhances the texture of the old ruin. :)

Many thanks. For info that was taken using a Lee sunset grad filter. I needed the red to enhance the building...well that was the idea.

cheers.

Back