Abba are back!

Have just seen that mentioned on the news.

It seems that when they do their concert with all new songs......what we will actually see are CGI simulacrums of their 40 years ago appearances.

What with the likes of the Stones and Queen being proud(?) to be seen as they are now, I wonder why Abba wish to be seen as 40 years younger???

What with the likes of the Stones and Queen being proud(?) to be seen as they are now, I wonder why Abba wish to be seen as 40 years younger???

Pretty sure there were some fairly serious mental health issues for some members of the group, so a virtual appearance may be the most they can manage comfortably. Plus it gives people the band they remember.

Last edited:

It seems that when they do their concert with all new songs......what we will actually see are CGI simulacrums of their 40 years ago appearances.

Have you actually seen what the Rolling Stones look like? It’s embarrassing!
It’s like there has been a breakout from a seniors care home and they thought it would be funny to rob the nearest Primark.

It’s like there has been a breakout from a seniors care home and they thought it would be funny to rob the nearest Primark.
I'm sure I don't know what you mean :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

EAPMtG1.jpg

None of us are getting any younger, but many of us still like to play live. I admire the stones far more for how they kept going than ABBA for synthesising a new commercial album.

I have no issue with them continuing as a band, I just find their need to dress as if they were in their twenties embarrassing for them.

As a school boy, I remember Agnetha as being pretty cute. She's matured well and I'm not that schoolboy anymore and I still find her cute. ;)

I was huge Abba fan back in the day, which is suprising as I love my rock. Even now, dinner music will often be Abba, much to the chagrin of my 9 year old. :LOL:

I liked Abba way back all those years ago.

I think perhaps I have heard enough of their music and don't need to see them.

Maybe after all these years they need the “Money, money, money”.........

Sometimes folk (musicians and mere ordinary ones) need a reality check!

When I first saw Tom Jones on The Voice a few years back I was immediately struck by his almost jet black hair and thought that was out of a bottle!

I can't remember the timeframe but eventually he appeared with grey hair and I think it was due to him (eventually) listening to his son. His son is his manager and apparently had asked/told him before to let his hair be natural.....Tom finally took his advice.

IMO it is all about the music and 'them' looking as they are.

In the case of Tom Jones, his voice has aged and to my ear has lost its range. Compared to Rod Stewart who had throat surgery and AFAIK re-trained his voice I don't find Tom Jones that good to listen to now.

I think Abba turned down 1bn for a tour a while back!!

If they did tour I would be tempted, iconic and will live on as a classic.

I love the fact that old timers like the Stones are still rocking. They dont need to financially, and I dont get criticism of their look. Most performers look different on stage to a 'normal' person in the street, I bet Keef just wears shorts and a t shirt when at home.

I just nipped out, on the radio Ken Bruce was playing "next weeks record of the week"
It was undeniably an ABBA track ( I didn't catch the name of the track) but I thought, without much feeling IMO.

I still dress like I did in my 20s and will continue to do so until I no longer have a choice. Please keep your embarrassment for your own attire.

Well that told me!

Though why you decided to make it personal is a mystery.

I never got interested in Abba. By the time they came along I preferred Leonard Cohen, Kris Kristofferson, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, Janis Joplin and a few others from that era/genre.

I still dress like I did in my 20s and will continue to do so until I no longer have a choice. Please keep your embarrassment for your own attire.
I still dress like I did when I was in my 20’s - probably with a few of the same t-shirts!!
Although I would be embarrassed if I dressed the way ABBA did when I was in my 20’s. Then or now!! :D

I mentioned about them to my wife today and wondered if anyone would be starting a thread on it and what would be said about it because I said I think it's better if we're left with the wonderful memories we have of them but you say it will be CGI simulacrums. I'll be off to Google what that is exactly. That's the first time I've heard of it.

As a school boy, I remember Agnetha as being pretty cute. She's matured well and I'm not that schoolboy anymore and I still find her cute. ;)

I was huge Abba fan back in the day, which is suprising as I love my rock. Even now, dinner music will often be Abba, much to the chagrin of my 9 year old. :LOL:

That's the essence of their success ..years past their time and people put their music on.... through dinner..or whatever.

I heard Pete Waterman talking about them a few days ago..Five Live, I think..and he said how different their music was inasmuch as it 'didn't go' where listeners expected it to and the layering was very complicated and that Benny sometimes pushed tacks or drawing pins onto the felt hammer heads of his piano.. A lot of the songs were penned by Benny and Björn in a log cabin in a Swedish forest..by a lake. However, their manager, Stig Anderson co-wrote some of their biggest hits like Dancing Queen,SOS and Waterloo. Pete Waterman said that when Benny went home and played Dancing Queen for Anni-Frid she was so moved that she cried. Stig Anderson owned the band's record label and publishing company, sharing the ownership with Benny, Björn and Michael B Tretow, the main sound engineer. Sadly, Abba eventually had to sue him for mismanagement of funds. He paid back something like £600,000.

There's a family stills video with a song that I think is really sad because Björn and Agnetha parted and they seemed the perfect family with their daughter,Linda who is a singer/song-writer and actress today. It was about Linda when she was 7 years old. Lovely words and sung with a mournful tone by Agnetha It was actually sung in Mama Mia by Meryl Streep (Donna) who was mother of Sophie and she sang it to her. Björn and Benny wrote it. 'Slipping Through My Fingers'

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDL1LRcrmKI

Last edited:
Always think Agnetha got the most attention, maybe because she was the stereotypical Swedish blonde, but Frida was an axceptional talent as well. Love her performance in this

I have no issue with them continuing as a band, I just find their need to dress as if they were in their twenties embarrassing for them.

Sometimes folk (musicians and mere ordinary ones) need a reality check!

When I first saw Tom Jones on The Voice a few years back I was immediately struck by his almost jet black hair and thought that was out of a bottle!

I can't remember the timeframe but eventually he appeared with grey hair and I think it was due to him (eventually) listening to his son. His son is his manager and apparently had asked/told him before to let his hair be natural.....Tom finally took his advice.

IMO it is all about the music and 'them' looking as they are.

In the case of Tom Jones, his voice has aged and to my ear has lost its range. Compared to Rod Stewart who had throat surgery and AFAIK re-trained his voice I don't find Tom Jones that good to listen to now.

I think Abba turned down 1bn for a tour a while back!!

If they did tour I would be tempted, iconic and will live on as a classic.

I love the fact that old timers like the Stones are still rocking. They dont need to financially, and I dont get criticism of their look. Most performers look different on stage to a 'normal' person in the street, I bet Keef just wears shorts and a t shirt when at home.

Can't beat the clock, although some do try.

That said, you're never too old to rock :)

None of us are getting any younger, but many of us still like to play live. I admire the stones far more for how they kept going than ABBA for synthesising a new commercial album.
Totally agree. And I can get giving people the band they remember by appearing as CGI and so on, but it also shows lots of insecurity imo. Well, sadly, there is no magic filter or some Photodiva effect that can remove all the wrinkles and make you look like your-twenty-something-self again irl but accepting your looks is part of maturing, I believe. There is no way to step into the same river twice, their younger CGI versions will not be the same to people who remember them looking like that, so I while I get that I still kinda don't.

Having thought about ABBA's impending comeback; we've had the global pandemic of Covid 19, the fallout from Brexit, the collapse of Afghanistan, and have political leaders who, years ago, would probably have been lucky to have won a raffle let alone an election.

Surely we've suffered enough?

Last edited:
Back