Aberfan 21st October 1966

Gremlin

Houdini
Name
Ingrid
Edit My Images
No
Can't believe that next week it will be 50 years since this horrific disaster occurred taking the lives of 116 children and 28 adults
Aberfan Disaster
I well remember it, such a sad day for all, and one I doubt survivors will ever really recover from

I'll never forget it either, I was there, just 21 years old.

I was driving a few miles from there, got stopped by the police and asked to volunteer. There was no shortage of volunteers but it took a while before there were enough shovels. It was just a recovery operation, although we didn't know that at the time, the last survivor had been pulled out of the school before I got there. Backbreaking work, nobody stopped for a rest until it became obvious, late in the evening, that there was no hope left.

I was driving a few miles from there, got stopped by the police and asked to volunteer. There was no shortage of volunteers but it took a while before there were enough shovels. It was just a recovery operation, although we didn't know that at the time, the last survivor had been pulled out of the school before I got there. Backbreaking work, nobody stopped for a rest until it became obvious, late in the evening, that there was no hope left.

Much respect, it must have been a very difficult time, and one that will probably stay with you your whole life.

I remember it, even though I was only 5 at the time.

I was nine and I remember it clearly.

@Garry Edwards I admire you for that it must have terrible to witness it at such a young age

@Garry Edwards I admire you for that it must have terrible to witness it at such a young age
I was probably too young and stupid at the time to even think about it, I think it was much later, when I had kids of my own, that it started to hit home.

The people who really deserved respect were the other volunteers, most of whom seemed to be miners, with farmworkers and some parents. They seemed to have muscles on their muscles and worked incredibly hard, but for most of them, they will have been affected badly because they were local.

That's very moving. I was 11 years old at the time and growing up in Brum. I still remember the harrowing news and reports on the television.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...-anniversary-aberfan-disaster-marked-11832397

I remember the day and the weeks after. I was 11 at the time and seeing the TV images and newspapers had a profound effect on me.

In the 1980's I worked alongside a guy who had been a pupil at the school years before the slip, but knew most of the families who lost children. A small community but a huge impact.

I remember watching on tv with my family and the programmes I think we're all in black and white then. A whole generation wiped out.

Much respect Garry. My father was in a roadside cafe when the police came in and asked for volunteers. My dad couldn't face it, I think it haunts him to this day.

Much respect Garry. My father was in a roadside cafe when the police came in and asked for volunteers. My dad couldn't face it, I think it haunts him to this day.
He needs to let it go, there were in fact far more men than shovels for a couple of hours, and the last survivor had been pulled out before most people got there, so it would have made no difference if he had gone there.
By about lunchtime it was all very organised, with heavy machines and mine rescue were then running the show, but it was too late.

It was also my first experience of the media, swarms of them complaining loudly about the mess and the smell, and just getting in the way.

My dad couldn't face it, I think it haunts him to this day.

My Dad was in the Army in WW2 and was posted to help clear up Belsen, he rarely spoke about it, it too haunted him till he died.
As Gary says, he needs to let go, there really wasn't a lot he could have done to save lives

As a 28-year old, this was before my time but growing up in a mining family I knew about it from an early age. I'm a Sheffield Wednesday fan and pleased to know that before our match against Cardiff tonight there will be a minutes silence as a mark of respect

It's astounding to think that the slag pile in question was 800 feet before it collapsed. That's almost twice as high than the highest point in Kent.

I'm not surprised that the after effects of the disaster is still being felt to this day.

It's astounding to think that the slag pile in question was 800 feet before it collapsed. That's almost twice as high than the highest point in Kent.

I'm not surprised that the after effects of the disaster is still being felt to this day.
I saw a programme on the box a couple of days ago, basically about the public enquiry that was held into the disaster, and if everything in that programme is true then maybe the NCB should have been charged with Corporate Manslaughter (although I'm not sure that that charge was available at the time).
Allegedly there were a number of complaints about the danger, made both to the local authority and to the school head teacher, and nothing was done. The head teacher was among those lost. But, to keep things in perspective, very little consideration was given to any H&S issues 50 years ago.

The programme was also interesting in that it showed a much wider picture than I experienced - obviously I knew that there were a lot of men there with pickaxes and shovels, but because I was busy I had no idea how many there were, as I was at just one place, the school. There were houses demolished too, I knew that at the time because one of them was on fire, but I didn't see it. I slept in my van overnight and next morning I went home and had a much needed bath and a long sleep.

I remember years ago a programme on who was responsible and the owner lived with his wife and as far as I can remember they had no children. This man just blatantly refused to admit responsibility and never said sorry, even after his death his wife never said sorry. They both were adamant he was not to blame. The programme was a long time ago I wish I could remember what is was called. I'll try and google it and see if I can find it. Thanks for trying Garry.

I saw a programme on the box a couple of days ago, basically about the public enquiry that was held into the disaster, and if everything in that programme is true then maybe the NCB should have been charged with Corporate Manslaughter (although I'm not sure that that charge was available at the time).
Allegedly there were a number of complaints about the danger, made both to the local authority and to the school head teacher, and nothing was done. The head teacher was among those lost. But, to keep things in perspective, very little consideration was given to any H&S issues 50 years ago.

The programme was also interesting in that it showed a much wider picture than I experienced - obviously I knew that there were a lot of men there with pickaxes and shovels, but because I was busy I had no idea how many there were, as I was at just one place, the school. There were houses demolished too, I knew that at the time because one of them was on fire, but I didn't see it. I slept in my van overnight and next morning I went home and had a much needed bath and a long sleep.

Garry, your wonderings about Corporate Manslaughter are on the right side. That possible charge has only been in effect for 8 years. :(

Neither the NCB, Alf Robens nor HMG came out of this with any credit. Given the number of innocent children that paid the price, your eyebrows disappear over the top of your head reading of the lying and the strokes they pulled - and got away with - at the time.

Neither the NCB, Alf Robens nor HMG came out of this with any credit. Given the number of innocent children that paid the price, your eyebrows disappear over the top of your head reading of the lying and the strokes they pulled - and got away with - at the time.

The psychological burden of having to acknowledge guilt for such a catastrophe would be unbearable though. It's hardly surprising no-one would admit fault, and probably not even to themselves.

Its been 50 years before someone tells their stories of that day, we must listen but we must never judge. The anniversary has past another year gone, time to let it rest for another year, lets do it.

Last edited:
The psychological burden of having to acknowledge guilt for such a catastrophe would be unbearable though. It's hardly surprising no-one would admit fault, and probably not even to themselves.

"On hearing news of the disaster, Lord Robens of Woldingham, PC, the chairman of the National Coal Board (NCB), did not go immediately to Aberfan, preferring to proceed with his installation as Chancellor of the University of Surrey. However, NCB sources wrongly told the Secretary of State for Wales that Lord Robens was personally directing relief work. When he eventually reached Aberfan, Lord Robens attributed the disaster to ‘natural unknown springs’ beneath the tip. This was known by all the local people to be incorrect. The NCB had been tipping on top of springs that are shown on maps of the neighbourhood and in which village schoolboys had played. The Wilson government immediately appointed a Tribunal of Inquiry which reported in August 1967 (Davies 1967). It was unsparing.

Blame for the disaster rests upon the National Coal Board….The legal liability of the National Coal Board to pay compensation for the personal injuries (fatal or otherwise) and damage to property is incontestable and uncontested."

....."The Tribunal was appalled by the behaviour of the National Coal Board and some of its employees, both before and after the disaster: ‘[T]he Aberfan disaster is a terrifying tale of bungling ineptitude by many men charged with tasks for which they were totally unfitted, of failure to heed clear warnings, and of total lack of direction from above’. Colliery engineers at all levels concentrated only on conditions underground. In one of its most memorable phrases, the Report described them as ‘like moles being asked about the habits of birds’. The Tribunal endorsed the comment of Desmond Ackner QC (now Lord Ackner), counsel for the Aberfan Parents’ and Residents’ Association, that Coal Board witnesses had tried to give the impression that ‘the Board had no more blameworthy connection with this disaster than, say, the Gas Board’. It devoted a section of its report to ‘the attitude of the National Coal Board’ and of Lord Robens. It forthrightly condemned both. One of the kinder things it says about Lord Robens is: For the National Coal Board … thus to invite the Tribunal to ignore the evidence given by its Chairman was … both remarkable and, in the circumstances, understandable. Nevertheless, the invitation is one which we think it right to accept"

Lord Robens offered to resign, however he actually had no intention of resigning,knowing his resignation letter would not have been accepted. To add insult to injury,in August 1968, the Government forced the Trustees of the Aberfan Disaster Fund to pay a contribution to the cost of removing the remaining NCB tips from above Aberfan. These tips were in a place and condition in which, according to the NCB’s own technical literature, they should never have been. In August 1968, the trustees agreed to contribute £150,000 towards removing them. This decision was bitterly controversial. The Robens Committee led to the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, which has regulated that subject in the UK ever since. The regulator is now the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), a Non-Departmental Public Body. Compensation paid for each dead child was set at £500, which the NCB called ‘a generous offer’. It was little more than the amount paid out per farm animal. The Pearson Commission (1978) recommended no change in this state of affairs. Lord Robens gave evidence to the Pearson Commission; the Aberfan Parents’ and Residents’ Association did not.

Today we hear that a wreath and card laid at Aberfan by Prince Charles, some f*****g low-life has stolen the card. Lower than a snakes ass hole.

Back