Abisko, Sweden.

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
No
All but the 1st do it for me and all well composed, great light and colour, that 1st one, well, it just don`t have any ooomphh in it, maybe some brightness/warmth but I can`t really put my finger on it.
I`m off to Oulu Finland in February, Now that`s a lovely small city but no wild camping for me, I like my warmth at night.

All but the 1st do it for me and all well composed, great light and colour, that 1st one, well, it just don`t have any ooomphh in it, maybe some brightness/warmth but I can`t really put my finger on it.
I`m off to Oulu Finland in February, Now that`s a lovely small city but no wild camping for me, I like my warmth at night.

Thanks, as for the first one I want to show the blue hour, dark and cold to the viewers. It's what I've experienced there. Perhaps a marmite shot :)

“Excellent” set of images, nothing more to be said.

George.

Still water to die for, lovely images.

It looks like a very fine set of pictures. The thing that’s making it hard to judge completely is the watermark as it’s acting as part of the compositions, it’s a bit eye-catching for my liking.

Still water to die for, lovely images.

Cheers Dale.

It looks like a very fine set of pictures. The thing that’s making it hard to judge completely is the watermark as it’s acting as part of the compositions, it’s a bit eye-catching for my liking.

Thanks, I didn't change the watermark opacity when I export using LR.

Good set ,my mate Oliver Wright works out there as a guide for lights over Lapland

Nice! We're thinking of going there with the kids- are there any bears in that region do you know?? I'd take a rifle but the missus hates guns.

Good set ,my mate Oliver Wright works out there as a guide for lights over Lapland
Yeah I knew him for years and he has been inviting me to go there since he started but only managed this year ha ha ha...

Nice! We're thinking of going there with the kids- are there any bears in that region do you know?? I'd take a rifle but the missus hates guns.
Usually, the bears will avoid contact with humans I would be much worried encountering wild moose than a bear, to be honest.

Thanks for commenting and likes :)

Love the second one! Also really like the third. We went to Norway last year in March, some amazing scenery but very very cold! -12 during the day. You have to be careful travelling in that weather.

The big signature in the bottom middle is a bit off putting to me, especially in the third as its where my eye is drawn to.

Ben

2- perfect. Nice mix of light and colour
3. Not bad but personally I'm not keen on any naked branches anywhere.
4. It certainly works
5. Great view, but leaves you wanting a little better light
6. It's aurora.... foreground could be any of the above.
1. A little dark for me. It's OK but I'd want the trees with some light considering how central they are. Tents are no no here.

3. Not bad but personally I'm not keen on any naked branches anywhere.

Does that mean you don’t shoot in late autumn, winter and early spring? Personally I love bare trees for photography as structures are revealed. Also works very well in this shot if you ask me, it’s an additional cue that shows time of year.

Does that mean you don’t shoot in late autumn, winter and early spring? Personally I love bare trees for photography as structures are revealed. Also works very well in this shot if you ask me, it’s an additional cue that shows time of year.

Maybe that's just me, but I would always avoid branches or else clone them out, unless they maybe have frost on them. I appreciate there may be different opinions on this matter

Unless it snows or I travel to according place I don't expect to get much landscapes work done till spring.

Last edited:
I really like the last one, especially the composition and tones. Could I ask what the diagonal white line is in the middle?

I agree with LLP and pretty much avoid landscapes from November until mid may for this very reason

I find bare trees quite frankly awful as is that earthy moorland we get here. Much nicer imho once it’s green or red in autumn

Last edited:
I agree with LLP and pretty much avoid landscapes from November until mid may for this very reason

I find bare trees quite frankly awful as is that earthy moorland we get here. Much nicer imho once it’s green or red in autumn

You do need separation from backgrounds to make trees stand out from backgrounds in that time, whether that's with mist, falling snow, frosted brances against dark backgrounds or tree position in the skyline. More often about graphical shapes and structures. I've always found spring difficult for photography even though it's probably my favourite time to get outside

All of them are pretty, but I would say my favorite is #2. Absolutely stunning shot.

Thanks for commenting on my photos folks... @benhben @LongLensPhotography @Darthchaffinch @Pocket Poetry @Scirocco_09 @TCAC @SFTPhotography

I used to avoid the naked branches but now rather than avoid, I'd rather try to make them interesting or form part of the composition. I wasn't sure when I took the pic but I'd rather leave them in as that is the scene I am looking at the time of the shot. As for me, I avoid green leaves as I found them boring ha ha ha ... each to their own liking ;)

@gman the diagonal line on the middle of the last photo, I think it is a satellite (saw a few flying around).

Back