About as newborn as you can get!

Whys that then? I'm sure the op knows he could of done it differently ( and better) given a different situation.
Telling people to ignore valid points is not helpful.

It's just my opinion. Lots will disagree I'm sure, but lots will agree too. Id be taking it all onboard if it were my photo.

Have you ever shot a stressful situation? No I guess not, lots of gob but nothing to back it up with, why do those that offer so much rubbish never seem to be able to show work comparable to that which they offer comments on? Your not a collage lecturer are you?

Lovely work and as you can't chop the leg off I suppose it had better stay :)

Wilky

For the record, I think the leg is a perfect frame. Shows the context of the story quite graphically, while keeping the privacy of your wife. Great stuff.

Thank you! She is not my wife, by the way (I'm female) - she is a customer who wanted me to photograph her baby's birth!

Whilst I wouldn't go quite as far as Wilky, there is an important point here.

It's easy to over-analyse a picture, looking too closely at the technical photographic aspects of it and in so doing, well, completely missing the point of the picture.

I recently spent some time in the Julia Margaret Cameron gallery on the Isle of Wight. Because her work is so early, the technical aspects are obviously quite poor by modern standards, but keep on looking and after a while a certain magic starts to dawn. Her work is incredibly beautiful.

Many of Henri Cartier Bresson's photographs wouldn't necessarily stand up to modern technical scrutiny for their focus, but that doesn't prevent his work from being truly wonderful.

Obviously it's not pictures of babies being born but I'm sure you get what I mean.

i looked at this yesterday, its exactly what a photograph was intended to be, a record of a moment in time thats special, a memory captured, sod the technicalities in this instance they really don't matter

Congratulations Sir.... only joking of course ;) (I'm a bloke and can read :D)

Well done on some superb shots in very difficult and a frantic situation. As said previously, I think the leg puts everything into place perfectly whilst shielding the 'lady-bits' just nicely.

:clap::clap::clap:

OMG! Ive just watched the slideshow and its breath taking..... perfect memories for such a perfect baby.

Congratulations on taking some incredible images.

IMHO peeps should read the thread and not just look at the pretty pictures :LOL:

*ducks*

Wish i'ed read this thread 6 years ago. Having a photographer in the room never crossed my mind, but with the look of these photos I wish I had captured the moment professionally, saying that you would have had to be on call as he ended coming six weeks early (something to ponder on when you advertise about short notice)

I think it's an amazing capture, and having just watched the Animoto thing, I actually feel quite choked up! My son is sat here on the sofa with me, playing a game on my iPad, and despite the fact he will be 2 years old in a couple of weeks, it evoked all the thoughts, memories and emotions of his birth.

A simply fabulous piece of work, congratulations to all involved.

I think its an amazing capture. I think given the environment and situation you were working in and the impact of the image the technicalities are just not relevant.

Back