About as newborn as you can get!

A beautiful image, which perfectly captures the moment of the little ones arrival & mums leg hiding the graphic bits makes it a much more useable image. I can see this happily being displayed whereas a more graphic image would not necessarily be happily handed around

Princess said:
Sentiments shouldn't eclipse quality. It's a good photo, a nice keepsake. Could of been improved.

How would you have shot it differently? Have you ever given birth or seen a birth? Because with the hustle and bustle of everything going on, I'd be interested to hear how you would have positioned yourself for this.

How would you have shot it differently? Have you ever given birth or seen a birth? Because with the hustle and bustle of everything going on, I'd be interested to hear how you would have positioned yourself for this.

An Ariel view could have worked Dave :nuts: ;)

Agreed, it's a hard situation. It's just my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree. I also don't expect other posters say 'ignore'. That's just plain rude. Everyone's opinion counts....In my opinion :)

It was my opinion that the O.P. shouldn't place importance on the comments about composition as I considered them unimportant to discussion of something so much bigger than such issues. As you say, everyone's opinion counts, but I apologise if you felt that it was rude in any way.

If you feel that everyone's opinion counts, perhaps you might take on board the opinions and experiences of the photographer and the comments of all the other posters on this thread? What really counts and what is it that makes for truly meaningful, valuable and worthwhile photography?

Old Timer said:
It was my opinion that the O.P. shouldn't place importance on the comments about composition as I considered them unimportant to discussion of something so much bigger than such issues. As you say, everyone's opinion counts, but I apologise if you felt that it was rude in any way.

If you feel that everyone's opinion counts, perhaps you might take on board the opinions and experiences of the photographer and the comments of all the other posters on this thread? What really counts and what is it that makes for truly meaningful, valuable and worthwhile photography?

I respect that others can have a differing opinion.

I'll just ignore the rest of the petty stuff.

Mark Anthony said:
Nail.. Head.. Hit!

Thank you sir.

I respect princess view but I really feel this is a fantastic piece of photography and apart from perhaps a few very minor details it couldn't be improved. Certainly nothing in terms of composition.

I dare say the photographer had a fairly small part of the theatre to move around, I dare say things were very frantic.

As the op didn't want to include the mothers foo foo (a correct decision IMO) the angle which she shot from was perfect, it will obviously have a leg involved! You couldn't really ask the mother to move it!

And whilst things can be improved if you analyse it, under the pressure and situation I feel this is perfect.

Excellent shot, not had kids but this is the kind of picture that would possibly sell the idea of capturing that moment to me.

I like that its through the leg, it gives the shot context.

Well done!!!

Thank you! I think the music was Chopin's Nocturne.

Congratulations on your news too, Michael!

Last edited:
pic works for me..... yes there a couple of minor flaws but as the OP states above - not exactly a situation where you can compose and frame etc....

Technically, it must have been a very difficult shoot; with the hustle and bustle and medical staff to avoid let alone trying to work with the light. But, a rewarding one nevertheless and Arthur and his parents will treasure these photographs. :clap:

great picture and congrats, make sure to get as many pics of her growing up!
youve got your personal model sorted for good few years now!

I think the image is simply stunning. When I gave birth on both occassions they came out really quickly - I'm amazed you managed to capture this moment. You should definitely continue with building your portfolio and offer this as a service - good luck :)

Wow!!! I watched the vid and I'm blown away, I think it's great work.
Watching it as a Dad, although part of me found it nauseating* I also found myself with tears streaming down my face.

*Only because the processing, editing and presentation for me seem overly sentimental and I'm not really a sentimental type of guy.

amazing piece of work - you've captured it all and it's a beautiful record. My eldest was born on June 29th, I slept through it all ha ha (that pethidine is strong stuff ya know), would have loved to have had a record of it :clap:

im really glad the leg is in the way. The last time I seen the details I was put of sex for weeks. LOL

I think its a wonderful picture. The labour room is not a studio and a lad with camera getting in the way is the last things any of the staff want to see. You did well to get it.

im really glad the leg is in the way. The last time I seen the details I was put of sex for weeks. LOL

I think its a wonderful picture. The labour room is not a studio and a lad with camera getting in the way is the last things any of the staff want to see. You did well to get it.

Good job it wasn't a lad with the camera then ;)

Intrigiguing that there's a perception that the photographer is male, even by some of the female posters on here!

Intrigiguing that there's a perception that the photographer is male, even by some of the female posters on here!

Possibly down to the assumption that the photographer was the baby's father.

Magical shot, wonderful slideshow Becs.

As someone who went through the same thing a week and a half ago, I can honestly say that there's no way you can plan for a shoot like that... Believe me, I tried and failed miserably! :D

I went into the delivery suite beforehand at different times and took meter readings to get an idea about what the light would be light but as soon as my Other Half went into labour, the whole bloody lot went straight out of the window! :bang:

In the end, I went in with the Fuji X10 set on EXR mode and fired away as much as possible whilst trying to be useful to my partner.

I think you did really well and created a lovely memento for the new parents! :)

As someone who went through the same thing a week and a half ago, I can honestly say that there's no way you can plan for a shoot like that... Believe me, I tried and failed miserably! :D

I went into the delivery suite beforehand at different times and took meter readings to get an idea about what the light would be light but as soon as my Other Half went into labour, the whole bloody lot went straight out of the window! :bang:

In the end, I went in with the Fuji X10 set on EXR mode and fired away as much as possible whilst trying to be useful to my partner.

I think you did really well and created a lovely memento for the new parents! :)

Congratulations! Are you allowed to share any of your photos?

Yes, it's very hard to plan the shots, and seeing as I got there just as the baby was coming out, it was all shot in something of a panic! I don't have children of my own and this was the first time I had witnessed a birth - no time to think about the gravity of that though until afterwards!

amazing how many people sorry how many parents would love to be able to look back over birth pictures its one of the proudest moments of a parents life and you have captured them so well congratulations
just one thing from me whats a woo-wah lol

what a fantastic, emotional image

:) Fantastic news Simon,many congratulations.

Foo-foo makes it sound... Lets say untrimmed lol

Was I the only one who thought it amusing that foo foo created a shopping link thingy

Last edited:
what a fantastic, emotional image

:) Fantastic news Simon,many congratulations.

Was I the only one who thought it amusing that foo foo created a shopping link thingy

No you were not the only one ;) but the question is did you click it because I did curiosity was too much :eek:

Back