About to buy a lens but which one?

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a D7000 and am looking for a general walk around lens. I will mostly be taking general travel photos and photos of the kids.

I have narrowed it down to 2 lenses, the Nikon 16-85 and the Tamron 17-50 2.8.

What would people recommend considering I already have the 35mm 1.8?

Also if I was to buy a new Tamron 17-50 VC would it be much worse than the non VC version or have they sorted the problems?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hmmm, tricky one as both have their merits.

Personally I love fast glass so would gravitate towards the Tamron. The biggest difference will be at the long end (50mm) where the Tamron is still at 2.8 and the Nikon is likely something like 4.5 max. This will make a big difference for pictures of your kids. The Nikon is probably a better all rounder though as it does offer real range, 16mm is pretty wide and 85mm is a nice portrait length if you're outdoors. Would still take the Tamron though.

As to the VC or not, I think it's fair to say that there may have been problems with the early VC ones judging by the number of negative reviews. It seems though that they may now be well sorted and I've heard a lot of people rave about their VC versions. I've only used the non-VC and it was a nice lens. If you're able to, test both and judge for yourself.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm tempted by the Tamron but have heard a lot of people complaining about quality issues or that they have to keep sending them back until they get a decent copy. I am pretty much busy for the next month so won't have a chance to get to a camera shop to test them for myself so will be ordering online.

On the other hand I prefer the range of the Nikon but feel it may not be fast enough for certain situations.

I really can't make up my mind!

I'd go for the Nikon.

Both lenses will be good, but the Nikon will be more usable as a walkabout lens due to the range.

The 2.8 will be more appealing, so why not go for something in the middle...

Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.0 DC Macro OS HSM Lens

This is my walkabout lens and I love it. Variable aperture, but wider than the Nikon.

The Sigma 17-70mm is only f2.8 at the widest end and when you so much as think about turning the zoom ring you lose the f2.8.

Personally I never had any quality issues with the non VC Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 I owned. There are longer range zooms but if you can live with 17-50mm the Tamron or the Similar Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 could be well worth looking at. My Tamron was the sharpest zoom I've ever owned, compact and light too.

I may have to think about this a bit more. The trouble is I do a lot of different types of photography which neither lens covers completely. I do a lot of landscape and architecture (16-85) but also a lot of indoors stuff at parties and restaurants (17-50).

Maybe the 16-85 + 35mm 1.8 would be a decent combo but if I'm out and about I don't always want to take my bag with spare lenses.

Shame someone can't make a 15-85 f2.8. It would be expensive and heavy but I'd buy it!

stick to nikon you cant go wrong
look at the nikon 18-200 lens very good all rounder

I've got a chance to get an original Tamron 17-50 non vc model for fairly cheap. Its the earliest one I believe with model number A16N with no auto focus motor. From reading around I believe this is the best version to go with faster focusing but being an earlier model it is probably around 3-4 years old.

Will the age be an issue or for £200 should I get it?

Back