About to get these lenses for Canon! Any canon users out there who have these lenses I would appreciate feedback!

Name
Lisa
Edit My Images
Yes
Good Afternoon all!

After quite a lot of research, maybe I have looked too much who knows, it really is so overwhelming, all this EF v EFS, versus F stops, IS, USM or STM, glass, plastic etc!

Anyway, I have tried my best to get the best lenses I can with the budget to cover her needs for the next few years. Maybe in the future, save up and get her a bigger telephoto if she requires one.

Zoom lenses

These 2 come to around 300 quid for both of them and yes they are kit lenses, but I think my daughter will get more use out of the Primes.
18-55 mm Canon EFS IS STM f/3.5 - 5.6
55-250 mm Canon EFS IS STM f/4 - 5.6

Primes

24mm Sigma Art DG f/1.4

35mm Canon EF USM f/2 IS

50mm Canon EF USM f/1.4

DOCK!

I believe I would need a Sigma dock to calibrate the lens, is there a specific Dock I would need?

Thanks so much for reading!

Hi

Just a quick observation.

The Canon EFS lenses will not fit on a Canon full frame body if that is your ultimate aim for her to have.

The Canon EF will fit both full frame and crop bodies like the 90D

I am not sure with Sigma model variants as to whether they have different 'versions' akin to the EF & EFS

I hope that helps :)

Oh as this is a new, as appropriate, thread.

If not, or even if, said elsewhere do please say and/or remind folk what type of photographic subjects you are looking to buy her lens(es) to shoot?

Not sure about the other lenses but the 55-250 STM is a cracking lens for the price, I've used other tele lenses that cost 3 or 4 times as much and honestly found the Canon sharper even at 250mm. Seen a review on it once that claimed if it had a red ring and was better built nobody would question it being an L

The two kit zooms will take a OK picture of everything.

The three primes are fairly close together in terms of focal length, so I would possibly consider replacing one of the shorter ones with a longer one, such as an 85mm or 100mm.

Sigma do a dock which allows ultra fine tuning of focussing system. The 90D possibly has a microadjustment facility built in as well.

Hi

Just a quick observation.

The Canon EFS lenses will not fit on a Canon full frame body if that is your ultimate aim for her to have.

The Canon EF will fit both full frame and crop bodies like the 90D

I am not sure with Sigma model variants as to whether they have different 'versions' akin to the EF & EFS

I hope that helps :)

yes it's a D90

You've got a lot of focal length overlap and your primes are all really close together.

Not quite sure if this is a bad thing? But after reading a post below, I may look at replacing one of the primes!

Oh as this is a new, as appropriate, thread.

If not, or even if, said elsewhere do please say and/or remind folk what type of photographic subjects you are looking to buy her lens(es) to shoot?

Sorry!

All these items are as new (is that what you mean above?)

This is for my daughter, she is really into her street and portrait photography, but as she will be going to college in a few weeks, I would imagine they will have her doing all the types of photography, so just wanted to cover all bases.

Not sure about the other lenses but the 55-250 STM is a cracking lens for the price, I've used other tele lenses that cost 3 or 4 times as much and honestly found the Canon sharper even at 250mm. Seen a review on it once that claimed if it had a red ring and was better built nobody would question it being an L

That's good to know! I also read something along the same lines, so good to know, I was on the ball with this one!

Not quite sure if this is a bad thing? But after reading a post below, I may look at replacing one of the primes!

Id suggest buying the zooms and trying them at those focal lengths then go from there. Once you've shot a few hundred frames you'll know what focal lengths you prefer.

Actually, prime wise if I were you id look at sigma 16/30/56, fantastic lenses. Ideal lenses for street and portrait.

Last edited:

DG is Sigmaese for full frame (EF) compatible with DC indicating a lens for an APS-C crop body (EF-S). IIRC, Tamron use the suffix Di-II to indicate APS-C only lenses.

The two kit zooms will take a OK picture of everything.

The three primes are fairly close together in terms of focal length, so I would possibly consider replacing one of the shorter ones with a longer one, such as an 85mm or 100mm.

Sigma do a dock which allows ultra fine tuning of focussing system. The 90D possibly has a microadjustment facility built in as well.

Well this is where I can sometimes get confused, as it's a crop sensor, correct me if I'm way off track here!
the 24mm is equiv to a 38mm,
the 35 equiv to 48mm,
the 50mm equiv 80mm.

I know there is a saying which is "nifty fifty" what confuses me is that relating to a crop sensor or FF?

Which is why I went for the 24 & 35mm, as my daughter really does love her portrait, and I believe these are good for that, she does have a 35mm and a 50mm on her Nikon crop, but these will hopefully be an improvement, I'm also thinking because they will fit on the FF camera, if she chooses in the future to get a FF, those lenses can be used on that.

I did look at a 85mm Sigma Art f/1.4 DG HSM but that comes in around £1000, so if I was to replace the 24mm sigma lens with the 85 one, it's an extra 400 ish.

Love to hear your thoughts on this!
and hope it all makes sense to you!

Id suggest buying the zooms and trying them at those focal lengths then go from there. Once you've shot a few hundred frames you'll know what focal lengths you prefer.

Actually, prime wise if I were you id look at sigma 16/30/56, fantastic lenses. Ideal lenses for street and portrait.

Just gone and looked at those suggestions, Maybe I am looking in the wrong place, but they all appear to be DC DN lenses? are these compatible with the Canon Crop sensor? I thought DN DC was for the Mirrorless crop?

Sorry!

All these items are as new (is that what you mean above?)

This is for my daughter, she is really into her street and portrait photography, but as she will be going to college in a few weeks, I would imagine they will have her doing all the types of photography, so just wanted to cover all bases.

I am sorry to confuse, I was not inferring the newness of he lens........but about the thread. We sometimes at TP new members who scattergun posts that are on occasion are just repeats of their original first post. Yours is not such a post :)

So in my cackhanded was trying to say......please don't assume folk that might reply to this one about lens choices would have read your other post(s) where favourite subjects could have been mentioned before ;)......

I could consider the 85mm Samyang f/1.4, that comes in around £280...

Just a heads up a D90 (in modern times ~ AFAIK there was way back a Canon of this designation ;) ) is a Nikon.

Canon dSLR all have Number then letter 'names'.

Yes I should really stop doing that! We have a Nikon, and have been used to that, it's easy to get confused!

Just gone and looked at those suggestions, Maybe I am looking in the wrong place, but they all appear to be DC DN lenses? are these compatible with the Canon Crop sensor? I thought DN DC was for the Mirrorless crop?

They are all spefically designed for a crop sensor. It's why the focal lengths appear non standard, in 35mm terms they are classic focal lengths. 35/50/85mm.

The focal length crop factor does come into it, but the focal length doesn't actually change, other parameters change which leads to a focal length equivalence.

If you are wanting to do group photos or full body portraits, then a wider angle lens can be used, but if its head and shoulders, then a longer lens is preferred. Wider angle lenses produce less than flattering distortions.

If its a Canon 90D rather thank a Nikon D90, I'd suggest the 85mm f/1.8 instead of one of the shorter primes. I woudn't go for the top of the range lenses just yet - still a lot of learning to do, and lenses can be traded in for other lenses as she progresses and refines her style.

Well this is where I can sometimes get confused, as it's a crop sensor, correct me if I'm way off track here!
the 24mm is equiv to a 38mm,
the 35 equiv to 48mm,
the 50mm equiv 80mm.

I know there is a saying which is "nifty fifty" what confuses me is that relating to a crop sensor or FF?

Which is why I went for the 24 & 35mm, as my daughter really does love her portrait, and I believe these are good for that, she does have a 35mm and a 50mm on her Nikon crop, but these will hopefully be an improvement, I'm also thinking because they will fit on the FF camera, if she chooses in the future to get a FF, those lenses can be used on that.

I did look at a 85mm Sigma Art f/1.4 DG HSM but that comes in around £1000, so if I was to replace the 24mm sigma lens with the 85 one, it's an extra 400 ish.

Love to hear your thoughts on this!
and hope it all makes sense to you!

They are all spefically designed for a crop sensor. It's why the focal lengths appear non standard, in 35mm terms they are classic focal lengths. 35/50/85mm.

But will they fit on a non mirrorless, as all the lenses I have seen say it's for the mirrorless range?

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions!

Hi Lisa

You say your daughter will "get more use out of the primes". Why is that?

Your original choices are pretty good. Not sure why people are saying they're close together... On your 90D, they represent 35/50/85 in terms of focal length which is pretty much all some photographers ever need. On full frame, should you upgrade the camera, they will still be a useful combo you'll just lose the 85 and gain a 24 which will leave you (her) a portrait lens hole. Picking up an 85 *now* will certainly cover all the bases, but 135 (which is what it will be on a crop) is a much trickier focal length to get used to.

The EFS lenses you could probably resell for pretty good money if you decide to upgrade to full frame and the ones you've gone for are utility lenses anyway.

I think you've made pretty good decisions there based on what you've said. The only thing you might want to consider is that when she gets to college and people start talking about mirrorless, she may want to completely switch systems to be in with the in crowd... But that's me projecting... :)

Hi Lisa

You say your daughter will "get more use out of the primes". Why is that?

Your original choices are pretty good. Not sure why people are saying they're close together... On your 90D, they represent 35/50/85 in terms of focal length which is pretty much all some photographers ever need. On full frame, should you upgrade the camera, they will still be a useful combo you'll just lose the 85 and gain a 24 which will leave you (her) a portrait lens hole. Picking up an 85 *now* will certainly cover all the bases, but 135 (which is what it will be on a crop) is a much trickier focal length to get used to.

The EFS lenses you could probably resell for pretty good money if you decide to upgrade to full frame and the ones you've gone for are utility lenses anyway.

I think you've made pretty good decisions there based on what you've said. The only thing you might want to consider is that when she gets to college and people start talking about mirrorless, she may want to completely switch systems to be in with the in crowd... But that's me projecting... :)

Well she doesn't really use the zooms that she has now that often, it's mainly the 35 and 50mm she uses for the majority of her shots at the moment, and I'd probably just stick to the primes, but the 55-250 lens with the 18-55 mm lens at 300 seemed a bit of a bargain, and I know that she will get some use out of it, even if it's just for college work. For all the lenses above including the camera body is just over 2400 ( body, and 5 lenses).

She defo is not one to follow the crowd, she has no interest in being like everyone else lol, and to be honest, I don't think the college use mirrorless, I know they use Nikon D3200 which is what she currently uses at home, and I just feel like she's got everything out of this camera.

Thanks so much for all your help!

You will struggle to find a better bargain than the 55-250 STM. I got a new one from e-infinity last year for £129

I got one for the same price from HDEW UK and it is a cracking lens for that. I was adapting it to both M43 [Viltrox EF-M43] ] and Fuji [Fringer pro EF-XT] and it worked great on both. Should be a little better again on native Canon mount [it was a teensy bit slow to catch focus at times using the adapters] But I was impressed with the results, it's better than the much pricier Fuji 55-200 that costs 4x as much IMHO

Last edited:
I agree I’ve got this lens and it’s excellent even at 250mm

Want to thank everyone for all your help! you have really re-assured me!

I have just placed the order! I feel so much better now it's done, as it's caused a lot of anxiety to make sure that I get the correct things, and that I am not mis-understanding anything. Your feedback has been great!

Hopefully I will be able to get some images on here, when she gets them!

I got one for the same price from HDEW UK and it is a cracking lens for that. I was adapting it to both M43 [Viltrox EF-M43] ] and Fuji [Fringer pro EF-XT] and it worked great on both. Should be a little better again on native Canon mount [it was a teensy bit slow to catch focus at times using the adapters] But I was impressed with the results, it's better than the much pricier Fuji 55-200 that costs 4x as much IMHO
Yes the focus is excellent on canon
I use the 55-250 on my canon 550D when I’m out at nature reserves for butterflies and dragonflies for when I can’t get near enough to the subject with a macro (closeup) lens
Image quality is excellent

All I’d say to that list is that the 50mm 1.8 STM is a better lens than the 1.4which is an old design with a ‘fake’ USM designation.

I don’t think the 3 primes are too close together BTW but I’m not personally a fan of the 50mm on a crop camera. The 85mm 1.8 is a great alternative.

All I’d say to that list is that the 50mm 1.8 STM is a better lens than the 1.4which is an old design with a ‘fake’ USM designation.

I don’t think the 3 primes are too close together BTW but I’m not personally a fan of the 50mm on a crop camera. The 85mm 1.8 is a great alternative.

Would it not be better for low lighting situations the 1.4? which is why I chose that over the 1.8? Although she does have a 50mm 1.8 yonguno for her nikon.

It’s less than a stop, and it’s actually not a great lens wide open. In fact it doesn’t get usable till 2.8.
And the focus motor doesn’t do FTM and it’s slow. Whereas the 1.8 STM is usable wide open and the focus motor is fast and accurate.

The 1.8 Yongnuo OTOH is junk, and I don’t understand why anyone would buy it. A £20 saving over a usable s/h Canon is not worth the gamble.

About to get these lenses for Canon! yes it's a D90 - on her Nikon crop - are these compatible with the Canon Crop sensor? - We have a Nikon -
Nikon D3200 which is what she currently uses

:thinking:

Last edited:
It’s less than a stop, and it’s actually not a great lens wide open. In fact it doesn’t get usable till 2.8.
And the focus motor doesn’t do FTM and it’s slow. Whereas the 1.8 STM is usable wide open and the focus motor is fast and accurate.

The 1.8 Yongnuo OTOH is junk, and I don’t understand why anyone would buy it. A £20 saving over a usable s/h Canon is not worth the gamble.

TBH I bought the Yonguno a good while ago when she was just getting into photography, I didn't know much about them to be honest, which is why now she is very serious about it, I have done a lot of research :)

I don't understand why you have copied a few pieces from different things that I have said throughout the whole thread? and then put a confused emoji? everyone else on the thread who have commented doesn't seem that confused.

So looking at the bits you have cut here are the reasons. I got confused with the D90 and 90D, which was pointed out to me earlier, and I apologised for it, I am used to Nikon which is what the D90 would be.

My daughter currently has a Nikon D3200.

I was looking at buying the the Canon 90D with some new lenses, I have now bought the 90D and the lenses after getting help and advise from the members here.

regarding the "are these compatible with the canon crop sensor" that was taken from a member recommending 3 lenses, and I was confused as the 2 of the ones he stated was for the mirrorless range, which he replied with it was his mistake and that no they wouldn't fit on the Canon 90D.

Hope this clears up the confusion

I don't understand why you have copied a few pieces from different things that I have said throughout the whole thread? and then put a confused emoji? everyone else on the thread who have commented doesn't seem that confused.

So looking at the bits you have cut here are the reasons. I got confused with the D90 and 90D, which was pointed out to me earlier, and I apologised for it, I am used to Nikon which is what the D90 would be.

My daughter currently has a Nikon D3200.

I was looking at buying the the Canon 90D with some new lenses, I have now bought the 90D and the lenses after getting help and advise from the members here.

regarding the "are these compatible with the canon crop sensor" that was taken from a member recommending 3 lenses, and I was confused as the 2 of the ones he stated was for the mirrorless range, which he replied with it was his mistake and that no they wouldn't fit on the Canon 90D.

Hope this clears up the confusion

Thanks for clarifying. I must have missed something but it sounded like you were buying a bunch of Canon-fit lenses for a Nikon!

That aside though, my suggestion would be don't buy anything until your daughter knows what she needs.
- Lens choice tends to be quite a personal thing and as you've discovered there are hundreds of options.
- The college may have loan stock of a particular brand so check that.
- If there is a serious prospect of upgrading to a full-frame camera in the foreseeable future, that's the place to start and build a system around that. I'm not banging a drum for full-frame but it is the preferred choice of most enthusiasts and professionals. Format choice is fundamental and underpins everything else. Some will say that all you need to do is buy full-frame lenses that can also be used on a crop-sensor camera and get the best of both worlds, but that is actually just a short-term cash-saving compromise and arguably the worst of both worlds that will cost a lot more in the long run.
Full-frame lenses may fit and function on a cropper but they will behave very differently on full-frame and you may well end up replacing them anyway. Meanwhile, she would have lenses that cannot be used to their full potential, while missing out on the advantages of lenses specifically designed for the smaller format.
- Buy extra lenses one at a time, see how she gets on. The way they fit into a system isn't an exact science, it's personal and often has unpredictable knock-on effects for the next one. Choose carefully - good lenses are expensive, but while camera bodies come and go, lenses last. A few good quality, carefully selected lenses are better than a bag full of mismatched second-rate choices.
- What's the rush?

Thanks for clarifying. I must have missed something but it sounded like you were buying a bunch of Canon-fit lenses for a Nikon!

That aside though, my suggestion would be don't buy anything until your daughter knows what she needs.
- Lens choice tends to be quite a personal thing and as you've discovered there are hundreds of options.
- The college may have loan stock of a particular brand so check that.
- If there is a serious prospect of upgrading to a full-frame camera in the foreseeable future, that's the place to start and build a system around that. I'm not banging a drum for full-frame but it is the preferred choice of most enthusiasts and professionals. Format choice is fundamental and underpins everything else. Some will say that all you need to do is buy full-frame lenses that can also be used on a crop-sensor camera and get the best of both worlds, but that is actually just a short-term cash-saving compromise and arguably the worst of both worlds that will cost a lot more in the long run.
Full-frame lenses may fit and function on a cropper but they will behave very differently on full-frame and you may well end up replacing them anyway. Meanwhile, she would have lenses that cannot be used to their full potential, while missing out on the advantages of lenses specifically designed for the smaller format.
- Buy extra lenses one at a time, see how she gets on. The way they fit into a system isn't an exact science, it's personal and often has unpredictable knock-on effects for the next one. Choose carefully - good lenses are expensive, but while camera bodies come and go, lenses last. A few good quality, carefully selected lenses are better than a bag full of mismatched second-rate choices.
- What's the rush?

Hey :)

The college use Nikon and only Nikon, I've already checked.

Upgrading to a FF would not be in the near future! and if that is what she wanted, it would be at her expense!

The rush is her birthday is in 10 days, and I've been researching all this for at least 6 months, I've known I would be choosing the 90d, it was choosing the lenses, and educating myself on it all, to make sure that I don't just buy any lens, like I did with her first camera!

Lisa x

Back