About UV Filters

Edit My Images
Yes
I should be receiving a new lens soon and want to put a UV filter on it for protection and I'm a bit confused as to what I should get.

Firstly I assume its good to go for a multi-coated filter but then there are lenses available from around £5 to £35. I'm just wondering what are the differences between the expensive and cheap filters and whether I as an amateaur/hobbyist tog would see any benefit from the expensive ones?

I mean there can't be much variation in build quality can there or in effectiveness if all there meant to do is block UV light or does it effect image quality, sharpness, colours etc in other ways too depending on the quality of the UV filter?

Help is appreciated!

Thanks

How much did you spend on your lens...putting cheap glass infront of it defeats the object....personally I don't bother with a UV (that's a whole other forum topic though)...if you definitely want one buy something decent

simon

How much did you spend on your lens...putting cheap glass infront of it defeats the object....personally I don't bother with a UV (that's a whole other forum topic though)...if you definitely want one buy something decent

simon

well im gettin it used but otherwise its a £250+ lens. Have done some more research and it seems there is a very wide price range for them but I'm erring to a Hoya UV for about £15. The cheaper ones don't seem to absorb UV light plus it still does the job of protecting the lens (from scratches/dust etc).

Back