Above the recent fog!

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Hi all.
Just recently I visited my lad at Buxton university. It was around the time last month when we had all the fog over the UK .
The Mrs, my folks and myself stayed outside Buxton high in the Peak District . Luckily we were above the fog. The skies were amazing . They were so clear and crisp.
The pictures are of the Milkyway with the old dove box out side the cottage in front and then a quick shot at the Andromeda Galaxy. Hope you enjoy!
Camera was a LUMIX GH3, lenses were the 12-35mm for the Milkyway and the 35-100mm f2.8 for the Andromeda Galaxy...ISO 1600ish!
25second exposures. Single shots.
For the Andromeda Galexy I also had the 2x digital zoom on.

Last edited:
Next time we go I'll do a timelapse as you could see the direct flight path of planes coming in over the UK towards Manchester. That would be pretty cool with a stars as a backdrop

Last edited:
Hey well done an thanks for sharing...

Love the Andromeda galaxy, will have to have a go at that myself.

I put up a piccie of the butterfly galaxy in Orion a few days ago, but no comments so far.

I will try your settings and lens size and see if I can do as well.

Focus is always my problem.. Unless Auto focus does it on the moon, I am pushed to get good focus in Manual focus

Mj

I've really struggled with the andromeda galaxy... no matter how hard I've tried i've been unable to pick it u... its driving me mad!
Hi Keety. I start by taking a wide angle shot then slowly zooming in whilst taking more pics and trying to keep it centred until I have it just right. Takes patience though!

Hey well done an thanks for sharing...

Love the Andromeda galaxy, will have to have a go at that myself.

I put up a piccie of the butterfly galaxy in Orion a few days ago, but no comments so far.

I will try your settings and lens size and see if I can do as well.

Focus is always my problem.. Unless Auto focus does it on the moon, I am pushed to get good focus in Manual focus

Mj
Hi MJ. Do you not use live view and the magnify option?

I don't use live view, not sure how to actually. I think it works in Auto mode, which I don't use when out at night.

When in manual focus, yes the view is magnified whilst trying to focus, but I find, despite a tripod, the view shakes enough not to be sure of focus. Olly also has a peaking system, which might help in daylight, but is a nuisance at night. Can be switched off of course!

mj

Back