Absolutely love portrait work but do you prefer studio or location?

It helps when you have a relaxed keen model to shoot, but I was a model donkeys years ago so direction comes naturally to me. :)

For me, studio type has been my focus of late and getting to grips with lighting for this has been an interesting challenge.

What do I prefer, I'd say events (so neither of the above, sorry!). Looking for shots, capturing people enjoying themselves, whether at a family party or a corporate 'fun day' (an oxymoron if ever the was one!) I find the most rewarding.

Great shots above, btw, first is a very strong image with nicely done and suitable PP work, the second is great use of OCF, and a well caught/thought out reflection too.

I'm just beginning my studio journey. I find it fascinating. Especially the lighting. Interacting with the model is something I need to get much better at.
I regularly scout for outside locations as well, and I'm looking forward to trying some location work in the near future.

Btw did you gel the background light in your second image?

Last edited:
For me, studio type has been my focus of late and getting to grips with lighting for this has been an interesting challenge.

What do I prefer, I'd say events (so neither of the above, sorry!). Looking for shots, capturing people enjoying themselves, whether at a family party or a corporate 'fun day' (an oxymoron if ever the was one!) I find the most rewarding.

Great shots above, btw, first is a very strong image with nicely done and suitable PP work, the second is great use of OCF, and a well caught/thought out reflection too.[/QUOTE

Thanks Ian for your positive comments. I too enjoy capturing people when they are relaxed and don't notice the camera. (BTW one of my favourite words oxymoron Ha)

I'm just beginning my studio journey. I find it fascinating. Especially the lighting. Interacting with the model is something I need to get much better at.
I regularly scout for outside locations as well, and I'm looking forward to trying some location work in the near future.

Btw did you gel the background light in your second image?

Hi Nicholas. Yes I used a blue Gel and changed the white balance. To explain better look at this tutorial on youtube
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HpAVMbmt7w

I often look at youtube photography tutorials for different ideas.
It's exciting when you find a good location. I was at a derelict cinema last weekend was good fun apart from high winds, rain, snow oh and being moved on by a security guard. Would love to photograph inside a derelict asylum/hospital .

I've been dipping my toes into "people/model" photography recently and absolutely love location shoots. Because I find this type of photography daunting, if I was to hire a studio I would feel pressured to achieve images within the time allotted / paid for. A location shoot allows me to develop the shoot and build a rapport with the person, her / his likes dislikes, what we both wish to achieve. Naturally some of this would have been discussed before we met to a degree but not having a time pressure definitely helps me go forward. It's enough that I have to remember AND apply all the techie stuff without the added pressure of a time frame as well, this obviously highlights my inadequacies in this genre but I will persevere. Directing the model is another added pressure that I'm trying to overcome, it's all a minefield but I have made some progress. I've recently joined a camera club that meets regularly with models, this has helped somewhat...

Last edited:
I've been dipping my toes into "people/model" photography recently and absolutely love location shoots. Because I find this type of photography daunting, if I was to hire a studio I would feel pressured to achieve images within the time allotted / paid for. A location shoot allows me to develop the shoot and build a rapport with the person, her / his likes dislikes, what we both wish to achieve. Naturally some of this would have been discussed before we met to a degree but not having a time pressure definitely helps me go forward. It's enough that I have to remember AND apply all the techie stuff without the added pressure of a time frame as well, this obviously highlights my inadequacies in this genre but I will persevere. Directing the model is another added pressure that I'm trying to overcome, it's all a minefield but I have made some progress. I've recently joined a camera club that meets regularly with models, this has helped somewhat...

Thanks for your input. When I say "studio" mine is all done in my front room so plenty of time to experiment. Here are my models looking bored s**tless lol IMG_5648.jpg

Thanks for your input. When I say "studio" mine is all done in my front room so plenty of time to experiment. Here are my models looking bored s**tless lol View attachment 56325

You are lucky to have access to subjects / models in the first place, my shoots are few and far between so it mostly feels like I'm starting over from the beginning again.

You are lucky to have access to subjects / models in the first place, my shoots are few and far between so it mostly feels like I'm starting over from the beginning again.

Pity you don't live nearer i'd let you borrow mine lol ...here's another happy one just to show u can use a tight space IMG_6123.jpg

I love portrait work but am absolutely terrified at the idea of trying to give posing directions. Feel ever so much more confident shooting sports events where I can time the action for the best shot and not have to worry about asking people to pose.

I'd recommend paying for some 1-1 training, going on workshops or attending group shoots to see how other people do it. A good model, though, will be capable of working without much input at all.

Can I say both? What I really enjoy is taking a battery of lights on location .. like this (NSFW): https://flic.kr/p/yiZ3y7.

It's time consuming, expensive and difficult to organise up but hugely rewarding.

Wow stunning photos Simon. What fab models you have, do you have connections with a circus? lol :)

Can I say both? What I really enjoy is taking a battery of lights on location .. like this (NSFW): https://flic.kr/p/yiZ3y7.

It's time consuming, expensive and difficult to organise up but hugely rewarding.

I'd love to see these but not having an account means I can't - boo sob - lol

Having done a fair bit of studio in the past I have to say I enjoy outside best - as here (she's not a model btw) - http://www.davidgoodierphotography.co.uk/portraiture-play-day-leeds/

And here (her 3rd time as a model) http://www.davidgoodierphotography.co.uk/portraits-off-camera-flash/

I like the added control of a studio, but the challenge of location more :)

Dave

I'd love to see these but not having an account means I can't - boo sob - lol

Having done a fair bit of studio in the past I have to say I enjoy outside best - as here (she's not a model btw) - http://www.davidgoodierphotography.co.uk/portraiture-play-day-leeds/

And here (her 3rd time as a model) http://www.davidgoodierphotography.co.uk/portraits-off-camera-flash/

I like the added control of a studio, but the challenge of location more :)

Dave

well, if you insist - sorry @Lozza123 for the thread hijack - there's some here. Still NSFW.

Your lock gate and outdoor market shots are just fabulous, btw.

Last edited:
well, if you insist - sorry @Lozza123 for the thread hijack - there's some here. Still NSFW.

Your lock gate and outdoor market shots are just fabulous, btw.

Thanks for the re-link :)

I was more thinking how backward I am for not having a Flickr account, lol

Some great shots there too of some very clever & supple artists :)

And cheers too for the comments on my links, glad you realised it was a market stalls area too, someone asked once if it was a bus !!! lol

Dave

Back