Abstract Portrait Help

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there

I took this image in Venice of a piece of art. I know it might not be everyone's cup of tea but I really love the subtlety of the piece and would like to try to create something similar as a photograph.

I'm struggling however to work out how to set this up. Thinking it might be lit through an opaque fabric ironed and stretched tight with a fairly shallow depth of field. Colour could be gels on flash or colour of the fabric. Alternative might be the face is lit behind the opaque fabric.

Test by Jim Tod, on Flickr

Any thoughts out there as to whether I'm on the right track before next weekend is wiped out?

Last edited:
I’d say it’s a sheet of latex or rubber.

And it’s not practical to consider lighting between the sheet and face, the ighting is for the shape you’ve created.

Maybe try the diffuser panel on the 5 in 1 reflector. I used it once for a creepy selfie. Forced my face into it. Screaming / hands clawing against the reflector. Off memory it worked out ok.
Maybe a starting point.

Gaz

I've done similar things a few times with various fabrics .. and I think you're going to struggle. I reckon Phil is right, latex is your best bet - but I can't think how you'd get it to adhere to the contours of the face rather than just stretching between the high points.

Some latex is so thin that you can see through it a bit when stretched, so that might give the lighting you've illustrated above as well as the stretched effect but I'd expect it to need a fair bit of post work to remove details.

It might actually be easier to do the whole thing in post by blurring a conventional portrait that's been lit as you want.

Good luck!

I’m going to buy a mannequins head and just start experimenting. Once (if!!) i get close then i’ll see see i can get a human subject without killing them.

Another thought i had was a plaster mold of a head and then cutting the front and pouring latex in with a rectangular/ square outer rim. After this i could pin the latex with lips, nose, eye sockets and forehead and light that.

I suspect i might be moving into the creative section rather than portraits.

Time to look at theatrical prop websites

Is it actually a face pressed against something or the highlights/shadows "painted" onto a layer? be easy enough to get fairly close with a wacom tablet or similar.

Fill your bathtub with butter. Place your face partially in it. Light the impression you've made inversely. Jobs a good 'un.

Added bonus is that you'll have enough butter to last you through until Christmas.

Is it actually a face pressed against something or the highlights/shadows "painted" onto a layer? be easy enough to get fairly close with a wacom tablet or similar.

I honestly don’t know. I can see the painting on a layer but that feels like cheating, although i might end up there.

Will try for the latex and see how i get on.

Fill your bathtub with butter. Place your face partially in it. Light the impression you've made inversely. Jobs a good 'un.

Added bonus is that you'll have enough butter to last you through until Christmas.

Bathtub is full of coal for the poor people/ jacob rees mogg shoot. Will look at this option in spring when coal used up.

Back