Access to Flickr page!

Name
Keith Jones
Edit My Images
Yes
I would be grateful for your opinions on this situation!

Is giving the public access to view your images via your flickr page the same as giving your images away for nothing?

There is a reason for asking which I shall divulge later!

I would be grateful for your opinions on this situation!

Is giving the public access to view your images via your flickr page the same as giving your images away for nothing?

There is a reason for asking which I shall divulge later!

Technically yes Keith, people can screen dump them or other such methods of copying.
If it worries you, then don't put them on flickr.

You can of course just upload low resolution images which people wouldn't be able to do much with.
Alternatively set a maximum resolution in your settings. If you upload high resolution images and set the resolution low to view, there are still ways around this enabling people access to the images.
Its the nature of the beast though, if you wish people to look at your images, you've got to put them out there.

Personally, it doesn't worry me too much but different strokes for different folks.

uploading low resolution is NOT the answer.. people will still use them..

the ONLY way to protect your online pictures is to place an intrusive watermark over important parts of the picture..

in answer to your question.. NO its not the same technically.. your not giving them away.. your allowing access.. But in reality if you send people to pictures they can easy copy then yes.... flikr is a cheap and nasty site for pictures that people often goto to grab free pictures..

make sure your usage permissions are set as well..

It also counts as publication if your question is going the way I think it is.

Thank you for your responses - decision made - going to get a website!

I have pee'd off a professional tog by posting my pics on flikr and giving the rugby club access to them which they have publicised on their webpage.

Will try to set up a zenfolio site in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
I have pee'd off a professional tog by posting my pics on flikr and giving the rugby club access to them which they have publicised on their webpage.

I would have kept that to yourself if I was you haha :)

I know Kipax - playing with fire and keeping my head down!

Problem is I don't think I will sell very many as most of my images are taken at 3 rugby clubs (which my sons play for). So I have a limited market.

I was thinking about shooting junior and mini rugby as maybe there would be more demand for prints from parents and grandparents etc.

What are your experiences?

For print sales junior beats senior any day oif the week by a ciountry mile for just about any sport..

For print sales junior beats senior any day oif the week by a ciuntry mile for just about any sport..

But you wont sell any if not watermarked..

I usually watermark a copyright in the BRH corner.

Can you make a decent return by selling to parents if you only visit one club on a Sunday?

bottom right corner is no good.. thats not going to stop people using them... you ahve to amke it so if they want the picture for anyhting then they have to pay you..

Selling prints is one of my revenue streams.... like anyhting.. what you get out is what you put in.. depends if your the only person taking pics.. you make sure every parent from both teams know where to get your pics and the process is easy for them to buy.. get a good reputation as well..

Thank you Kipax. I think it's about time I dipped my toe in the water and gave it a go. I have been photographing Rugby since 2009 but I have never really tried to sell my images except on one occasion, but as I did not have a website it was a right pain collecting orders and getting paid. I think the first step is to set up a website with a checkout etc. Thinking of using Zenfolio or is there any better on the market?

Thank you Kipax. I think it's about time I dipped my toe in the water and gave it a go. I have been photographing Rugby since 2009 but I have never really tried to sell my images except on one occasion, but as I did not have a website it was a right pain collecting orders and getting paid. I think the first step is to set up a website with a checkout etc. Thinking of using Zenfolio or is there any better on the market?

No idea.. I made my own.. look for somehting that makes it simple to buy.. no registering or anything.. just click click and buy... the art of selling on line is to show clearly what they get and make it very very easy to buy...

Yes & No.

They're easily 'pinched' but you still have copyright on them.

Demi-lion

Not sure what you were implying can you elaborate please?

I'm guessing he means - you own the copyright so you're within your rights to send a friendly request for payment.

Actually I was thinking about DataCo and Prem Rugby (both codes) regs.

I would be suprised.. he would know he isnt allowed to publish dataco stuff even on his own website unless he is a licence holder.. rugby requires a proper watermark.. plus he couldnt sell either to the public so.. i doubt verey much he is talking about either..

I'm a libertarian and perhaps a bit of an anarchist. I have many times had people nick images. If they actually claim credit for them, then it p***es me off just a little bit - but end of the day, I have the dated evidence. Otherwise, I take it as a bit of a compliment. I take it much more of a compliment if people actually ask for permission. I've never refused. I've granted permission for books, CD covers, and blogs.

I have over 5,600 images publicly hosted on Flickr - some with open licence. Nearly ten years membership.

I'm a libertarian and perhaps a bit of an anarchist. I have many times had people nick images. If they actually claim credit for them, then it p***es me off just a little bit - but end of the day, I have the dated evidence. Otherwise, I take it as a bit of a compliment. I take it much more of a compliment if people actually ask for permission. I've never refused. I've granted permission for books, CD covers, and blogs.

I have over 5,600 images publicly hosted on Flickr - some with open licence. Nearly ten years membership.

Sorry.. just wonderign what your point is for the OP who wants to protect and sell his ? ... 5,600 ? I have over a quarter of a million on my website.. all watermarked and for sale :)

Sorry.. just wonderign what your point is for the OP who wants to protect and sell his ? ... 5,600 ? I have over a quarter of a million on my website.. all watermarked and for sale :)
I answered the first post directly. Sorry if I didn't follow down the thread and respond to each developing chapter. My bad. I apologise so sincerely for you needing to correct me.

reading the thread you would know we are tlalking about protecting and selling.. your post telling us all how you have thousands of pictures you freely give away was whats known on here as trolling... or *** stirring as its called in real life..

Quite. I find that cash gives me a much warmer, happier glow than some platitudinous credit line.

Quite. I find that cash gives me a much warmer, happier glow than some platitudinous credit line.

how long have you been waiting to use "platitudinous" :)

Platitudinous.....aren't they those mammals that lay eggs with a weird bill sort of thing?

Platitudinous.....aren't they those mammals that lay eggs with a weird bill sort of thing?

You mean they lay eggs and charge a silly price?

All images on my Flickr site are mine. All taken in Wales at grass roots and semi professional level!

No Platitudinous (or any other marsupials) have been harmed during my photographic explorations!

Back